PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the road to the NASCAR races

thedrifter
01-05-07, 07:52 AM
Hitting the road to the NASCAR races
January 05,2007
Anne Clark

Marisel Smith still remembers her favorite car: a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda, cherry red with white racing stripes.

“I grew up with seven brothers, and they had every kind of muscle car,” Smith said. “When I got my own, it was amazing.”

As a teen, she raced her Barracuda up and down the Florida stretch of I-95. Then she became a NASCAR fan, pulling for the late Davey Allison.

Now she helps sell discounted race tickets to service members through the ITT/All Points Travel office aboard Camp Lejeune.

We’re entering the racing season in Florida, with big-name events revving up through February.

“It’s almost a festival atmosphere,” said Ken Money, ticket office coordinator for the Daytona International Speedway. “Everywhere you go, there’s something to do.”

Besides the main event, there’s live music, interactive vendor displays and good food.

For a few extra bucks, race fans can wander into the NEXTEL FANZONE™ area. The “fan zone” gives them access behind the garages — from behind plexiglass windows, fans can watch crew teams working on the cars and drivers hammering out strategy.

Sometimes, fans can pass over hats, books or T-shirts to get them signed.

Holding a military ID has privileges here: if you go through a base travel company, like ITT, you’ll pay $75 to get into the fan zone at the Daytona 500. Full price is $90.

“You can’t get this discount at the gate,” Money said. “We appreciate the military, and we like working with the bases” to offer them discounts.

At least one Daytona package is no longer available, but fans can still call ITT to get a two-day pass to the Daytona 500 and Daytona 300 on Feb. 17 - 18, for $180.

The price includes one seat in the superstretch tower, which is between turns 2 and 3. The deal is good through Feb. 2.

“We’re getting a good response; North Carolina has a major racing fan base,” said Smith, who is the lead recreation assistant for ITT.

Most people find real excitement live at the racetrack, she said.

“They like the sound of the engines, seeing the cars and meeting the drivers,” she said. “It’s a different environment, being with other fans.”

For a long time, Smith rooted for Allison, who won 19 NASCAR races before dying in a tragic helicopter accident at Talladega Superspeedway.

He was 32 years old.

“He was a clean, respectful driver,” Smith said. “If he bumped someone, you knew it was an accident.”

Racing fans may be hooked on the thrills of the chase, or on the different personalities on the track.

Many just have a love of high-performance cars.

Smith bought a street version of the Dodge Intrepid after spotting it on the racetrack.

“I like looking at different cars and the muscle behind them,” she said.

For discounted tickets to the Daytona 300 and 500 races in February, call ITT/All Points Travel at 451-3535.

The offer applies to anyone with a military ID and is good while supplies last. Offer expires Feb. 2.

Ellie