PDA

View Full Version : I'll Be Home for Christmas (But Only in My Dreams)

thedrifter
01-04-07, 02:36 PM
I'll Be Home for Christmas (But Only in My Dreams)

Thursday, January 04, 2007

By Kat Teraji

"In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." - Jose Narosky

As we mark the passage of the tragic milestone of 3,000 American troops killed in Iraq, let's not forget the many American soldiers who quietly serve there with brave dedication day after day without making any dramatic headlines in mainstream media. Here's a holiday update on a local soldier stationed in Iraq (known as "Jonathan") whose story readers have been following in this column since July.

He is not the first in his family to serve, even though he is only a second generation American. Jonathan's father and uncle both served in WWII, one in the Army and the other in the Marines.

His father and uncle had two first cousins who were brothers serving in the war as well. However, one fought on the American side and the other on behalf of Japan. The American brother, George Yoneji, was fluently bilingual and worked as General MacArthur's wife's interpreter. It wasn't until the battle for Iwo Jima was over that Yoneji discovered his own brother had been killed in the fierce fight for the island. He hadn't even known that his brother would be there.

It was amazing to me to be able to talk to Jonathan on the phone from Iraq today for the first time since he left. It was hard to make out everything he was saying since the connection was pretty fuzzy, but his longing for home certainly came over the wire loud and clear. It hasn't been easy spending the holidays so far away from his wife and three daughters.

To all those sending care packages to Iraq, he expressed his heartfelt thanks, but he also wanted me to convey this message: "We have enough hard candy and playing cards to last us a long time, probably through two more wars," he joked.

I can't write about the exact location, size, or number of troops where Jonathan is serving, but I can tell you that he is serving at Al Asad Airbase, the largest Marine camp in the western Anbar Province. It is located in what many consider to be the most rebellious region in Iraq, an area where thousands of insurgents have been killed in a series of operations over the past year.

Like many soldiers, Jonathan rarely says a word about any emotional distress he is suffering, but it has not been easy to lose fellow soldiers during the past few months. In his most recent e-mail, Jonathan described how Christmas was celebrated on the base:

"Today is Christmas and I am still safe (reasonably) inside Al Asad. Continue to pray for the troops on the front line. I don't watch the news but some of the stuff you might see happening with Marines probably involves us too.

"Yesterday we had our 'mandatory fun' which is the CO's (Commanding Officer's) speech, party and khaki auction. The auction is for the troops to bid on the officers and chiefs to do whatever they want (within reason and mission allowance). The monies will go to pay for our cruise book which is like a high school yearbook. The Chiefs and Os (Officers) also gave the sentries the next two days off. Last night (Christmas Eve), I stood the gate at midnight with another officer for a few hours.

"I think I'm OK with coffee and hardware now. We moved out of our cans a few days ago and into some new ones built just for us. What a hassle. Most of us were pretty well dug in and a ton of guys are still out working at remote sites so we also have to move some of their stuff. The rooms are smaller but I only have one roommate now.

"My company commander decorated our shop the other day and was playing Christmas music. I walked in as 'I'll be home for Christmas' was playing. That was real depressing. I'm ready to come home. It rained yesterday and the weather is generally cold much like how it would be there. We have reached the halfway mark on our deployment and the days are now going to get longer. I think we can call that a good sign. Hope all of you have a safe Christmas and rest of your holiday season.

From out here

BUC (SCW) Jonathan

Delta Co., Camp Maintenance NMCB 18."

Ellie