PDA

View Full Version : New parents celebrate birth of Zane Keith Moody

thedrifter
01-04-07, 11:16 AM
New parents celebrate birth of Zane Keith Moody

By: DEREK HODGES, Staff Writer January 04, 2007

Not every child earns a place on the front page just for being born, but not every child is the county's first for the new year. With his 4:37 a.m. Monday birth at Fort Sanders Sevier Medical Center, 5 pound and 15 ounce Zane Keith Moody was Sevier County's first baby of 2007, as well as his parents' first child.
"My parents kept asking the nurse, 'Is she still going to be the first one?'" Georgina said. "I really didn't expect to have the first baby of the new year. It never really entered my mind."

Monday morning wasn't the first time Zane surprised his parents; the very fact that Georgina was pregnant "was pretty much a miracle," she said. Born with only one ovary and a very rare blood type, the fact that Georgina became pregnant was a bit of a shock.

As unusual as the birth itself might have been, the couple's story is one as at home in past centuries as it is today. They're both 19 and went to high school together. He is now a soldier, soon to travel to North Carolina with other Marines for training and then, likely, on to serve his country overseas. She is now a stay-at-home mom, who will live with her parents in Kodak as she waits for her soldier husband to return home.

"It will be tough to watch him leave," Georgina said. "I know I'll probably cry for a week when he does."

She won't be alone in her sorrow.

"I'll definitely be sad to leave them," Dustin said. "For now I'm just going to spend every minute with them that I can."

Dad's time with the baby was extended thanks to a joint decision between the couple and their doctor. With Dustin scheduled to report back for duty Jan. 15, the doctor offered to induce Georgina's labor one week earlier than her due date.

"I told him that would be fine as long as it wouldn't hurt the baby," she said. "He said Zane would probably come early anyway, but this way we'd know he [Dustin] would have more time with him."

Coming into a world in turmoil, the Moodys know Zane and other babies like him will likely face some challenges in their lifetime. Chief among them for at least the first part of their lives may be the war

"From what the guys around the base say, this thing is going to go on for a long time," said Dustin, who has wanted to serve in the military since the age of 7.

Still, like every generation before them, parents like the Moodys all across America still have high hopes for the lives their newborns will have.

"He's going to be a good boy," Georgina said. "He's going to be smart and go to college."

* dhodges@themountainpress.com

Ellie