PDA

View Full Version : Thurmont Marine honored for bravery

thedrifter
01-04-07, 10:18 AM
Thurmont Marine honored for bravery
Published on January 4, 2007

By Alison Walker-Baird
News-Post Staff
FREDERICK -- Don't call one Marine from Thurmont a hero. He jumped into a burning Humvee, flames inches from the gas tank, to drive the vehicle away from his fellow Marines -- but he shrugs off talk of valor and bravery.

Lance Cpl. Michael Cole, 19, is an active-duty Marine stationed at Camp Wilson at 29 Palms, Calif. He was home on leave this week and returns to California today.

Marine Maj. Gen. David Bice awarded Cpl. Cole the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal in late December for his second-nature actions that saved the day -- and possibly several lives -- Nov. 24.

Cpl. Cole was working in an ammunition storage unit that Friday when another Marine drove up in a Humvee the corporal was scheduled to use next.

Cpl. Cole spotted smoke coming from the passenger seat, where the Humvee battery is stored; he and other Marines discovered an electrical fire. One Marine ran to get a fire extinguisher to put out the sparks.

The fire spread to the underside of the vehicle, near the diesel tank. Cpl. Cole grabbed a second fire extinguisher but it was the wrong type and wouldn't put out the flames.

Spurred into a quick decision, he jumped into the vehicle and drove it out of the ammunition-filled area. Another Marine grabbed a nearby extinguisher and Cpl. Cole was finally able to put out the fire.

If the Humvee had exploded, Cpl. Cole realized, he'd as likely have died standing nearby as driving it away, he said Tuesday.

"I was just getting away," he said. "If it went off I probably wouldn't be here."

Cpl. Cole's father, Ronald Cole of Thurmont, said he is proud of his son but worries about what might have happened that day in November.

"It could have gone the other way if everything had blown up," he said.

Mr. Cole said his son, a Catoctin High School graduate, joined the Marine Corps in August 2005 to further his education, but he also has become an upstanding man.

"Michael's the kind of guy who looks out for everybody he's with," Mr. Cole said. "He thought fast enough to try to get them out of the way."

Ellie

bbutcher
02-16-07, 06:08 PM
Cpl. Cole,
Thanks.......Heroes, like you, are a product of circumstances.
Quick thinking saved you & your fellow Marines.:banana:

I live across the Potomac River, in West Virginia. I work in Williamsport, Md.
Our family has been up to Cunningham Falls several times. We've also hiked a couple trails in the Cactoctin Mtns. Wolf's Head?
My 22 yr old son used to wrestle in a youth league, and we visited Catoctin schools. We always stopped at one popular restaurant in Thurmont. I forget the name......homestyle cooking.

Good Luck to you.
Hope you & family are all well.:nerd:
ooh-rah.
Bill Butcher

cplbrooks
02-18-07, 12:02 PM
I think it is called mountaingate. Or maybe Cozy restraunt

Sgt Leprechaun
02-19-07, 12:30 PM
It's either/or. They are right next to one another.