PDA

View Full Version : Supporting fellow Marines

thedrifter
01-04-07, 06:52 AM
Supporting fellow Marines
The Herald News
January 4, 2007

As a gunnery sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves, Robert D. Garza recalls a week before leaving for his deployment to Saudi Arabia. His dad came over to talk to him and said, "Look out for yourself, take care of yourself and take care of the Marines you are leading."

Garza's dad, Robert A. Garza, served four years in the Marines. He endured two harsh winters in Korea and served during the Korean War. His brother, Mike Garza, was in the Marine Corps for three years.

Garza landed in Saudi Arabia Jan. 9, 1991, a week before the air campaign known as Operation Desert Storm began.

"The majority of my time there, I was in a rear support area," Garza said. "While there, I was attached to an engineer support unit where we supplied purified water, electrical power, ran field shower units, performed vehicle maintenance nearly every day for over 10,000 Marines, soldiers, sailors, Coast Guardsmen and British Army personnel."

"We never had to fire our weapons, but nearly every night we would be awakened by the air raid sirens and had to often go to the bunkers and get into our military oriented protective posture gear," Garza said.

Garza and other Marines often volunteered to pull port security with the U.S. Coast Guard.

"We would ride on the whaleboats onto the Gulf Coast with the U.S. Coast Guard," he said. "The boat would be bouncing off the waves, and we would have to hold on and our feet would be up in the air. The U.S. Coast Guard felt our guys were outstanding."

Garza remembers a scud missile blowing up and people panicking.

Making connections

Often, Garza had to console his fellow Marines.

In one situation, a young female Marine was having problems receiving her medications. Garza followed through, and made sure she got it.

Another time, a young corporal came to Garza one night, seeking advice about whether to re-enlist or leave the Marines to pursue his education.

Garza told the man, Greg, that he could graduate from college and join the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves.

"We talked for about two hours, and Greg said, 'No one has ever talked to me,'" Garza said.

During the war, an AT&T office at the Louis Joliet mall would fax letters to soldiers serving in Saudi Arabia, and the letters would end up in the military postal system. That's how some mail would get to the soldiers.

Garza's wife traced his son's hands and feet and sent him a letter that read: "Dear dad, Here are two hands to help you out and two feet to keep in your mouth, so you'll stay out of trouble."

"My wife had this faxed to me," Garza said.

Garza returned to the states in April, 1991, after the war, spent 30 days at Camp Pendleton in California and then returned to Joliet.

Serving in several units

Garza has served in several units throughout his career. His first was in Gary, Ind., with Company B, 6th Engineer Support Battalion.

He later landed in Peoria with Company C, still with 6th Engineer Support Battalion. This is the unit he was in before being activated for Dessert Storm.

In January, 1995, Garza served as first sergeant for Echo Battery Company, a reserve unit in Joliet. He served in this position for 1½ years.

Before returning to Peoria, Garza was placed in Individual Ready Reserve status from late 1991 to 1994.

While in this status, he no longer reported to drills, but performed his annual training.

During this period, Garza performed three annual training duties, two two-week summer camps and a three-week summer camp.

During each of these camps, he received retirement points. He also completed many courses for retirement points.

"Between the birth of my son in 1990 and being called to active duty, my studies were interrupted. Therefore, it took me seven years to get my degree," he said. "I finally received my bachelor's degree in 1995."

22 years of service

Garza grew up in Dalton. His family moved to New Lenox in 1976, where he met his wife, Sandra, while in high school. They married in 1981.

Garza and wife live in Joliet.

Garza still actively represents the Marines.

On Memorial Day, he drove a 1954 Willys Jeep, which his late father had owned in Princeton, at the Memorial Day parade.

First Sgt. Robert D. Garza officially retired Jan. 1, 1999, after serving 22 years in the Marine Corps Reserves.

Know a current or retired soldier who would like to talk about his or her experiences in the U.S. armed forces? Contact Jean Edwards, staff writer at (815) 729-6049 or at jedwards@scn1.com

Ellie