PDA

View Full Version : What to send to a grunt in Iraq?

WannabeAT
01-03-07, 03:38 PM
I have a good friend who is a torret gunner in Fallujah. I have his address, but forgot to ask what he would like me to send him. I would like to send him a package, but have no idea what to send. Any Marines who got something that was really useful or that you appreciated or anything specific you wish you would've received while over in Iraq? Or any Marine family members who have any suggestions? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sgt tony
01-03-07, 06:36 PM
It is cold right now so send warm gloves(black),socks(green/black), cup of soup, coco, coffee, lip balm, thermals. They like book, games, ect. Just think what you would like he is your friend so you know something like.
But you can go to anysoilder.com and it tells what they ar wanting or need.
I have been sending care packages from the start of the war and still do. But the most important thing is to tell them that you SUPPORT THEM.
Thank you and kepp up the good work.

sgt tony
01-03-07, 06:38 PM
Just one question do you still ship on 7 January? Can or will you friends help send the packages to your friend? If I can help let me know.

WannabeAT
01-03-07, 10:18 PM
Yeah. I'm still shipping that day. I will be writing him from Iraq, but my mom will keep up with sending him packages. He has a lot of support here too. From all the teachers at our high school, our church, etc. I'll pass the word along to all of them on ideas of what to send. Thanks for the ideas, and the website.

Quinbo
01-04-07, 11:32 AM
When George Washington was asked what his troops needed his immediate response was tobacco.

ElDiablo
01-04-07, 01:20 PM
I read somewhere (it might of been Leatherneck Magazine, not shure) that Marines, and soldiers like to get silly string in care packages. They said it works good for trip lines and boobytraps.

thezero
01-04-07, 01:23 PM
I read somewhere (it might of been Leatherneck Magazine, not shure) that Marines, and soldiers like to get silly string in care packages. They said it works good for trip lines and boobytraps.

Thats always good, and that was on the news, and we talked about it in Physics class.

ElDiablo
01-04-07, 01:28 PM
Yeah...i remember talking about it in Physics, you brought it up....but I didn't hear it on the news...I didn't even realize it was on the news...kool...now more people can send it over to Iraq...bet it will be really appreciated...

DWG
01-04-07, 01:32 PM
When George Washington was asked what his troops needed his immediate response was tobacco.

Copenhagen is the most requested item from the guys I've been in contact with. They can't get fresh dippin' tobacco, and what they do get tastes like crap. I'm sure any fresh US tobacco would be welcome. I had one Cpl. write me thanking me for the cope and then saying he had recently heard it was unhealthy so he gave it up, but his buddies still appreciated it. I couldn't help but reply "being a US Marine in Iraq was probably the most unhealthy thing he was doing at this point.":p Beef Jerky is the next most popular item. Uncle Johns'(?) Beef Jerky will pay shipping on their orders overseas. I think that's the name of the company-I'll check and if I'm wrong I'll post the correct name.
There might be a problem with silly-string as it is an aerosol can-explosive-check with your post office!

SkilletsUSMC
01-04-07, 01:39 PM
I have a good friend who is a torret gunner in Fallujah. I have his address, but forgot to ask what he would like me to send him. I would like to send him a package, but have no idea what to send. Any Marines who got something that was really useful or that you appreciated or anything specific you wish you would've received while over in Iraq? Or any Marine family members who have any suggestions? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

WannabeAT Stand by to copy...

Hand warmers the kind that you get at a sporting goods store that activate by air contact.

Large quantities of cigarettes and dip It doesnt matter if he uses them or not, but the trade value is HIGH and if your away from the rear long enough, a pack of smokes or can of dip you can get just about anything in trade :D

containers of kool-aid or Tang with sugar in it DO-NOT send gatorade powder. im sure he has enough allready.

New ballistic glasses. Laugh it up, but the more the better should you lose a pair. even more so since hes up on the gun.

LOTS of Baby wipes. the wet ones brand are the best because they have alcohol for sterilizing, and come in packs of 10 you can carry in your cargo pocket

DVDs. Someone over there has a DVD player and watching a movie can really let you relax and be home in spirit, but NO WAR MOVIES:D

Socks and undies

Adult reading material cough cough...

thezero
01-04-07, 02:31 PM
Copenhagen is the most requested item from the guys I've been in contact with. They can't get fresh dippin' tobacco, and what they do get tastes like crap. I'm sure any fresh US tobacco would be welcome. I had one Cpl. write me thanking me for the cope and then saying he had recently heard it was unhealthy so he gave it up, but his buddies still appreciated it. I couldn't help but reply "being a US Marine in Iraq was probably the most unhealthy thing he was doing at this point.":p Beef Jerky is the next most popular item. Uncle Johns'(?) Beef Jerky will pay shipping on their orders overseas. I think that's the name of the company-I'll check and if I'm wrong I'll post the correct name.
There might be a problem with silly-string as it is an aerosol can-explosive-check with your post office!

On the news it said that there were a couple of private planes or small business planes that would fly silly string over for the troops, and I'd have to agree with beef jerky, I sent my older brother $40 of Herring Bros. (Local Slaughter house and beef market place) beef jerky when he was in Iraq

DWG
01-04-07, 02:53 PM
That company I was talking about was bigjohnsbeefjerky.com. They have military discounts and free shipping. They sell in 1/4 lb and up! I've had good luck with them.Right now (winter) microwavable soup, chili, cocoa, etc. and big call for wool socks, especially in Afghanistan. Mainly let them know we are supporting them!

WannabeAT
01-04-07, 07:18 PM
Yeah, last I heard about the silly string is that it's not something that can just be sent through the mail in a care package. I'm not sure how they do it.Thanks everybody for all the info. I'll be going shopping tomorrow, and making a list to give to people of all these ideas, so when I leave they can continue to send him things. It's appreciated. Just one question I had, is it possible to send him too much stuff, or will there be enough people in his unit that he can give extra things to?

SkilletsUSMC
01-04-07, 07:56 PM
Yeah, last I heard about the silly string is that it's not something that can just be sent through the mail in a care package. I'm not sure how they do it.Thanks everybody for all the info. I'll be going shopping tomorrow, and making a list to give to people of all these ideas, so when I leave they can continue to send him things. It's appreciated. Just one question I had, is it possible to send him too much stuff, or will there be enough people in his unit that he can give extra things to?

Aim for medium to small packages on a frequent basis....

Quinbo
01-04-07, 10:42 PM
When I was stationed in Okinawa a fellow Marine's mom sent him a care package of brownies.... he shared with all. I said those are the best freaking brownies I've ever had. He said write my mom a letter and she'll send you some. He wasn't kidding. His mom made the best brownies I've ever had and even continued to send me them after we were no longer stationed together. I'll never forget that!

DWG
01-05-07, 04:13 AM

LOL! Yeah, there's plenty of folks to share with! Unless you have access to a C-130 I don't think you can ship too much. Check into flat rate air priority; these are rather small boxes but the shipping rate is $8.10 no matter what they weigh. Paper work is a bear, but you get used to it! Like someone mentioned AnySoldier.com can give you valuable info. Good luck at Boot!:)

thezero
01-05-07, 10:40 AM
Along the subject of care packages is there any way to send care packages even though you dont have an exact address, because once i get a job I would like to set aside like $20-40 for care packages

DWG
01-05-07, 11:24 AM
Along the subject of care packages is there any way to send care packages even though you dont have an exact address, because once i get a job I would like to set aside like $20-40 for care packages

This question can be answered at AnySoldier. I'm sure there are other agencies/organizations that do the same thing. They will send packages to troops who don't get mail otherwise. I like AnySoldier because they have sections devoted to each branch (AnyMarine).

thezero
01-05-07, 11:29 AM
This question can be answered at AnySoldier. I'm sure there are other agencies/organizations that do the same thing. They will send packages to troops who don't get mail otherwise. I like AnySoldier because they have sections devoted to each branch (AnyMarine).

Thanks, Ill look into it and start saving money once I get my job to help the troops over seas

DWG
01-05-07, 11:48 AM
A letter costs 37 cents and a little time. They all enjoy mail from the states; most aren't that much older than you and probably are interested in a lot of the same stuff. Plus, just showing they have support over here means a lot.

thezero
01-05-07, 12:06 PM
A letter costs 37 cents and a little time. They all enjoy mail from the states; most aren't that much older than you and probably are interested in a lot of the same stuff. Plus, just showing they have support over here means a lot.

Ok thats simple and cheap. Thanks for the idea :idea: , I can't belive I missed the most simple choice.:p

ElDiablo
01-05-07, 12:09 PM
Ok thats simple and cheap. Thanks for the idea :idea: , I can't belive I missed the most simple choice.:p

I can....lol..:p But yeah...that is a good idea...

WannabeAT
01-05-07, 04:54 PM
Well, I just went shopping and got everything. All I have to say is be careful because you can just load up and then when you get to the checkout and they tell you the total, you're like wow. I just spent about $100, and I haven't even gone to the post office yet to see how much shipping is going to be. Oh well, what the troops are providing is priceless.

DWG
01-05-07, 05:59 PM
Doesn't take long does it? Now the fun with customs forms begins.:mad: It is a pain, but gets easier as you go along. I suggest you check out those flat rate boxes-they're free and the post office...

Messenger
01-05-07, 06:28 PM
When deployed abroad you find comfort in some of the most trivial of items. Many times I found myself in places that I was unable to get some of the smallest most basic of items. A new toothbrush or a roll of nice toilet paper may not be considered an extravagant gift but will likely be more appreciated then things costing far more.

One of the best things I ever got in the mail was a hometown newspaper. Don’t discount the power of a few cookies or a key chain dawning the emblem of a fans spots team. Mostly the thought is the important part as it is easy to feel forgotten and it is all too nice to know that others are thinking of you as a human being and not just a soldier far away in a distant land.

Keep in mind that smaller is better and most carry all they own on their backs so large, heavy or delicate items are not recommended as weight and space are greatly limited.

Roogger
01-05-07, 07:26 PM

Deployed Marines get silly goofy over getting alot of letters from loved ones also, so if you plan on getting friends from high school or family members or whatever to all write DON'T put them in the same envelope. Getting 20 letters is a hell of a lot more fun than getting one letter with a bunch of paper in it.

Quinbo
01-06-07, 01:28 AM
A friend of mines Mom used carbon paper. That was before computers and printers and junk but still a great idea. She would write a letter and address it to all of us as a group but we each received our own copy from her in an envelope addressed specifically to us individually. I thought it was great.
:flag: