PDA

View Full Version : Mom's fear comes true: Son dies on 2nd tour

thedrifter
01-03-07, 07:29 AM
Mom's fear comes true: Son dies on 2nd tour
Larry Altman, Staff Writer
San Bernardino County Sun
Article Launched:01/03/2007 12:00:00 AM PST

RIALTO - Kim Hearn feared the worst in 2003 when her oldest son announced he had joined the Marine Corps.

It caught Hearn by surprise. The war in Iraq had just begun.

"I didn't want him to join," Hearn, of Rialto, said. "I came home from work one day, and he said, `Mom, I have two weeks to be with you.' He informed me he had enlisted in the Marines. My job then was to just be there for him."'

Ryan Mayhan of Hawthorne emerged unscathed last year from his first eight-month deployment in Iraq, which included fighting in the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah. But he did not survive his second tour, which began when he returned in September.

Lance Cpl. Mayhan, a former student at Lawndale's Leuzinger High School who finished his education at Lloyde High School, died Dec. 21 in Iraq's Al Anbar province.

His death certificate said he was the gunner on a Humvee that was hit by an improvised-explosive device while conducting combat operations in Ah Nahiyah. He was 25.

Mayhan was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, based at Twentynine Palms.

Hearn found a message from the Marines on her answering machine that morning. A minute later, three Marines knocked at her door. She knew what had happened before anyone spoke.

"This is one of the worst Christmases I ever had," Hearn said. "I didn't even actually celebrate it. I don't know if I will ever celebrate it again."

Mayhan never told his mother why he chose to enter the military, but she knew he was dissatisfied with his job in a retail store.

"I feared for my son, and so I was against it," Hearn said. "I was proud of him. He was a man at this time, and my job was to support him and his decision."

After boot camp and training at Camp Pendleton near San Diego, Mayhan was deployed to Iraq last year. He frequently called home to let his mother know he had been in the field on missions and was safe.

Mayhan returned home unharmed but was sent back to Iraq in September.

"In my opinion, I think he feared the second time," his mother said. "I know my children well. I heard it in his voice, it seemed like he just feared it. I felt it also."

About three weeks before his death, Mayhan called his mother from a military hospital. A bomb had hit his Humvee. He was hospitalized with an injured hand and severe headaches.

"He shouldn't have been out there," his mother said. "My son survived an explosion and within a month's time they send him back out there. I think it was too early to send my son out there like that."

But she knew her son had a job to do and he "fought to the end."

Mayhan had talked of a career in law enforcement, possibly with the Secret Service, when he returned to civilian life. The young man spoke English and Spanish and was learning Arabic. He enjoyed video games, dancing and hanging with his friends.

"He was an awesome person," said his godmother, Jeanne Leftwich. "He's my hero. He's everybody's hero."

Services with military honors are scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday at Inglewood Park Cemetery.

"I couldn't ask for a better son," his mother said. "It feels good to know that. He stood up and did what he had to do. He fought to the end."

Ellie