PDA

View Full Version : Changes To Recruit Training

jinelson
01-02-07, 08:29 PM
Changes To Recruit Training

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

In an effort to ensure proper training and readiness among the military services, Congress has approved the following changes to basic principles of recruit training:

Haircuts
Marines: Heads will be shaved.
Army: Stylish flat-top's for all recruits.
Navy: No haircut standard.
Air Force: Complete makeovers as seen on Oprah.

Training Hours
Marines: Reveille at 0500, train until 2000.
Army: Reveille at 0600, train until 1900.
Navy: Get out of bed at 0900, train until 1100, lunch until 1300, train until 1600.
Air Force: Awaken at 1000, breakfast in bed, train from 1100 to 1200, lunch at 1200, train from 1300 to 1400, nap at 1400, awaken from nap at 1500, training ceases at 1500.

Meals
Marines: Meals, Ready-to-Eat 3 times a day.
Army: One hot meal, 2 MRE's.
Navy: 3 hot meals.
Air Force: Catered meals prepared by the Galloping Gourmet, Julia Child, and Wolfgang Puck and Emeril Lagasse. All you can eat.

Leave And Liberty
Marines: None.
Army: 4 hours a week.
Navy: 2 days a week.
Air Force: For every four hours of training, recruits will receive eight hours of leave and liberty.

Protocol
Marines: Will address all officers as "Sir," and refer to the rank of all enlisted members when speaking to them (i.e., Sgt. Smith).
Army: Will address all officers as "Sir," unless they are friends, and will call all enlisted personnel "Sarge."
Navy: Will address all officers as "Skipper," and all enlisted personnel as "Chief."
Air Force: All Air Force personnel shall be on a first name basis with each other.

Decorations/Awards
Marines: Medals and badges are awarded for acts of gallantry and bravery only.
Army: Medals and badges are awarded for every bullet fired, hand grenade thrown, fitness test passed, and bed made.
Navy: Will have ships' engineers make medals for them as desired.
Air Force: Will be issued all medals and badges, as they will most likely be awarded them at some point early in their careers anyway.

Camouflage Uniforms
Marines: Work uniform, to be worn only during training and in field situations.
Army: Will wear it anytime, anywhere.
Navy: Will not wear camouflage uniforms, they do not camouflage you on a ship. (Ship Captains will make every effort to attempt to explain this to sailors.)
Air Force: Will defeat the purpose of camouflage uniforms by putting blue and silver chevrons and colorful squadron patches all over them.

Career Fields
Marines: All Marines shall be considered riflemen first and foremost.
Army: It doesn't matter, all career fields promote to E-8 in first enlistment anyway.
Navy: Nobody knows. The Navy is still trying figure out what sailors in the ABH, SMC, BNC and BSN rates do anyway.
Air Force: Every recruit will be trained in a manner that will allow them to leave the service early to go on to higher paying civilian jobs.

Master Sephiroth
01-02-07, 08:46 PM
Well guys, the choices are laid before you.

Hectic
01-02-07, 10:58 PM
I still want to be a Marine

Achped
01-03-07, 01:49 AM
Sadly, half of those are no exaggeration.

Motorola07
01-03-07, 01:51 AM
Are you serious about half this stuff?

devildoghopeful
01-03-07, 05:09 AM
LOL SSGT!
I especially like the: "Air Force: Awaken at 1000, breakfast in bed, train from 1100 to 1200, lunch at 1200, train from 1300 to 1400, nap at 1400, awaken from nap at 1500, training ceases at 1500."!

That's classic!

DWG
01-03-07, 06:33 AM
I've been striving to achieve the air force training regimen for 30 yrs. Just a few more years and I can devote myself to it full time. Hope I can make the cut! :banana: :D

devildoghopeful
01-03-07, 09:26 AM
Don't overwork yourself, not everyone can be an airman...;)

DWG
01-03-07, 09:30 AM
Don't overwork yourself, not everyone can be an airman...;)
By the time I hit retirement age I think I will have worked myself down to it! I'm real close already-I keep telling my doctor I'm not that tired, I'm that lazy!:D

Old Marine
01-03-07, 09:30 AM
Even after this post, the pay scale is the same for all the branches of the service. Take your choice.

DWG
01-03-07, 09:51 AM
You mean you can make the same "BIG BUCKS" irregardless of branch? You know anyone signing up for the large salaries? If so I got an investment plan I'd like to sell them!:p :D

drumcorpssnare
01-03-07, 11:10 AM
Gee, I'm suprised the 'flyboys' aren't given Captain's bars when they graduate boot camp!:D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

DWG
01-03-07, 11:16 AM
Gee, I'm suprised the 'flyboys' aren't given Captain's bars when they graduate boot camp!:D
Look closely; they're probably in there somewhere among all the crap they wear-kinda like a waiter at bennigans, all the "flair" they brandish!:D

jm4magic
01-03-07, 12:54 PM
Great stuff!

quillhill
01-03-07, 02:03 PM
Very funny. I particularly enjoyed the 'stylish flat tops' for Army recruit hair cuts. Heh.
My brother's best friend is in the Army and indeed has a very stylin' flat top. Nice kid. Just got back from Iraq and waiting to be re-deployed.
I saw a joke last year he sent me with one section was about military working conditions. Marines wearing full gear sweating their butts off in the desert. Soldiers working on some base. Airmen holed up in some air-conditioned office doing their cushy jobs. Heh.

DWG
01-03-07, 02:10 PM
I saw a joke last year he sent me with one section was about military working conditions. Marines wearing full gear sweating their butts off in the desert. Soldiers working on some base. Airmen holed up in some air-conditioned office doing their cushy jobs. Heh.

I don't get it? Where's the joke?:confused:

quillhill
01-03-07, 02:18 PM
Heh. Must be in the part about the sailors, which I can't even remember. ;)

Wonder if that's still in my e-mail. Hmm.

rktect3j
01-03-07, 02:22 PM
My wife was in the Army reserves and got a physical fitness medal (non device type). I think a ribbon is awarded as well for wearing on the uniform.

drumcorpssnare
01-03-07, 02:44 PM
Heck, in the Air Force, if you wake up in the morning and you haven't pee'd the bed, you get a comendation!

Accord
01-03-07, 03:03 PM
I love it.

YMPfcDeremer
01-03-07, 06:12 PM
I'm reading a book now called "Making the Corps" and it was comparing Marine Corps Boot Camp to Army Basic Training and one of the things it said was that "they can use the PX, make unlimited phone calls, and occasionally watch television." and when a Staff Sergeant was addressing the recruits he said "Soldiers, please be interested in what I have to say.". When he was talking about the bayonet course he said, "Let's have some fun out here.". But my favorite part was when it said that onece or twice during Basic they would have a pop concert and pizza and soda would be served to the recruits.

Motorola07
01-03-07, 09:04 PM
I'm reading a book now called "Making the Corps" and it was comparing Marine Corps Boot Camp to Army Basic Training and one of the things it said was that "they can use the PX, make unlimited phone calls, and occasionally watch television." and when a Staff Sergeant was addressing the recruits he said "Soldiers, please be interested in what I have to say.". When he was talking about the bayonet course he said, "Let's have some fun out here.". But my favorite part was when it said that onece or twice during Basic they would have a pop concert and pizza and soda would be served to the recruits.

You are so on the money... My brotherinlaw called my sister at least 4-5 times a week during boot camp. And who ever go the best timing on one of the courses got pizza and coke. They played music on the Obstcal course(rap, rock, country, you name it).

Accord
01-03-07, 11:40 PM
You are so on the money... My brotherinlaw called my sister at least 4-5 times a week during boot camp. And who ever go the best timing on one of the courses got pizza and coke. They played music on the Obstcal course(rap, rock, country, you name it).
My best friend who went to Army OBC got his own apartment with internet, phone, etc. and he slept there everynight except for one weekend where they were in the field. He didn't even have a roomate. After the 6 week course he came back as the same undisciplined person no different than when he left. So it's no wonder that Army basic training has gotten so easy and soft when the stuff on the officers side has become soft as well because it's difficult to lead by example.

Barrette
01-05-07, 07:13 PM
Wow it would be nice to get breakfest in bed.... hahaha nah I like the taste of MRE's...

hawks
01-05-07, 10:33 PM
A Soldier on my baseball team recently complete OSUT at Fort Benning where he was there for 13-14 weeks for his basic training (Infantry) and he said it was hard. He never got to call home. Army Infantry still has hardcore basic training. They dont get to watch TV, call home or anything like that.

I also heard from someone who heard from someone that the Marines are worthless and the Army does the real work. Also heard that the Army is worthless and Marines do the real work. Which one is true? Dont dis anything until you've tried it yourself. Just because you read about it does that make it true?

(I did contradict myself but w/e)

SkilletsUSMC
01-05-07, 11:58 PM
Wow it would be nice to get breakfest in bed.... hahaha nah I like the taste of MRE's...

We will see how long that lasts....:D

Marine Shu
01-09-07, 12:38 AM
you mean i can have breakfast in bed instead of sand fleas? nah, i'll take the sand fleas!

JIPeterson
01-09-07, 07:04 AM
Hilarious SSgt, :D . I bet my brother would be PO'd though about the Air Force bit. Very very funny though.

DWG
01-09-07, 07:20 AM
Hilarious SSgt, :D . I bet my brother would be PO'd though about the Air Force bit. Very very funny though.

Are you kidding? The AF is proud of that sort of thing. When my brother was in Nam (SSgt. USAF) his two biggest complaints were; his VILLA was too far from the base, and he couldn't get good instant coffee!! :scared: Poor thing!

jtestani41
01-09-07, 12:18 PM
wow catered meals b***sh**

fraser
01-09-07, 12:55 PM
wow catered meals b***sh**i know

Camper51
01-09-07, 01:36 PM
A Soldier on my baseball team recently complete OSUT at Fort Benning where he was there for 13-14 weeks for his basic training (Infantry) and he said it was hard. He never got to call home. Army Infantry still has hardcore basic training. They dont get to watch TV, call home or anything like that.

I also heard from someone who heard from someone that the Marines are worthless and the Army does the real work. Also heard that the Army is worthless and Marines do the real work. Which one is true? Dont dis anything until you've tried it yourself. Just because you read about it does that make it true?

And you want to hear WHAT in this forum?

That the Army is tough, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha yer killin me!!!!!!!

LOSTDOG2120
01-09-07, 01:39 PM
NO MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES' JOB IS LESS IMPORTANT THAT THE OTHER.:evilgrin:

A Soldier on my baseball team recently complete OSUT a Fort

Benning where he was there for 13-14 weeks for his basic training (Infantry) and he said it was hard. He never got to call home. Army Infantry still has hardcore basic training. They dont get to watch TV, call home or anything like that.

DWG
01-09-07, 01:46 PM
NO MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES' JOB IS LESS IMPORTANT THAT THE OTHER.:evilgrin:

Not as long as everyones' basic job is Rifleman, it isn't. The rest are all working to put the trigger squeezers into position, true, but don't try to convince a grunt that someone in an office is working as hard(or harder) than he is when he's freezing, roasting, tired, thirsty, hungry, dirty and being shot at. :evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-09-07, 02:16 PM
13-14 weeks of Infantry? Not likely. The entire regimen of "Army Infantry Basic", conducted at Fort Benning, lasts approx that long. That includes MOS school. After approx. the 4th-5th week, phone calls, px visits, pizza, etc, are allowed. You really, really, don't want me to post all the "Army is lowering standards to attract more recruits" articles I have stored, do you?

Interestingly, you quote "the soldier on your baseball team". In the real world, this is called "Hearsay".

LOSTDOG2120
01-09-07, 02:49 PM
DONT BE BRAINWASHED DEVILDOG. THAT LEATHERNECK BEHIND THAT DESK IS MAKING SURE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE GETTING PAID WHILE YOUR GETTING SHOT AT, INVITING THEM TO FUNCTIONS. THAT MARINE BEHIND THE DESK IS MAKING SURE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE TO REPAIR THAT HUMMER THATS STRANDED, THAT AIR FORCE PERSONELL IS MAKING SURE THE C-5 GALAXY IS FUELED UP TO DEPLOY MORE TROOPS TO HELP U OUT. EVERYONE HAS A JOB THAT IS NO LESS IMPORTANT THAN THE LAST. JUST BEC\CAUSE THERE NOT GETTING SHOT AT, DOES NOT MEAN IN ANY WAY THAT WE DO NOT NEED THEM 100%!!! THOSE COAST GAURD SERVICEMEN ARE PATROLING THE SHORES CONFISCATING 100'S OF 1000'S OF DOLLARS WORTH OF DRUGS OUT OF OUR COUNTRY EVERY YEAR....DO NOT BE THE TYPICAL "INFANTRY IS THE ONLY MOS" MARINE.

CPL. CORMIER:flag:

Not as long as everyones' basic job is Rifleman, it isn't. The rest are all working to put the trigger squeezers into position, true, but don't try to convince a grunt that someone in an office is working as hard(or harder) than he is when he's freezing, roasting, tired, thirsty, hungry, dirty and being shot at. :evilgrin:

DWG
01-09-07, 04:12 PM
True, all jobs are important, or the military wouldn't waste time on them; but just remember what all those jobs are for, as they taper down to the tip of the spear. They are all important-what I am stressing is don't get too full of your self while some poor slob is dodging lead in the field. And some "are more equal than others".

hawks
01-11-07, 10:32 PM
On a lighter note, this was sent to me by a friend in the Air Force. Its not so much about recruit training, but it is kind of funny, seeing as how an Airman sent it to me.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/saguaro_sierra_9/Military%20Gallery/sucks.jpg