PDA

View Full Version : How dangerous is Iraq for Company B? South Bend's Marine reservists have varying opi

thedrifter
01-02-07, 07:14 AM
Article published Jan 2, 2007
Company B's Christmas: How dangerous is Iraq for Company B?
South Bend's Marine reservists have varying opinions.

FRED DODD
Tribune Staff Writer

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq -- Distant machine gun fire and an occasional explosion can be heard at Engineer Company B's base camp.

Sometimes it's units training on base or an explosives ordnance disposal unit practicing its trade. Sometimes it's from "outside the wire" -- as everything off base is called.

Headlines proclaim death and destruction every day.

But just how dangerous do South Bend's Marine reservists perceive the war?

Opinions vary.

"I'm constantly reminded of Cpl. (Aaron) Seal's untimely death," said Sgt. James Stanley, of Elkhart. "That reminds me it's for real. Every time I go out, there's somebody out there -- thousands of people -- wanting to kill me with either a roadside bomb or a sniper shot," he said.

"People are dying over here on a regular basis and all it takes is for me to be complacent about it one time and I could possibly lose my life or the life of another Marine under me. So I feel that it is very dangerous."

Cpl. Jesus Mendoza compares what he has seen here with what he has seen in his Chicago neighborhood. "I feel like there's more action back home than there is here. I live in a dangerous area so there are drive-by shootings. It could happen back home, it could happen here.

"Yes, we get small arms fire once in a while, we get explosions. But it's not bad like in the news -- like constantly somebody dying. It's not that bad here."

"It's obviously a little dangerous," countered Lance Cpl. Kyle Brownfield, of Mishawaka. "But we try to limit the risk that we take and make it as safe as possible."

Lance Cpl. Jordan O'Hearn, of St. Joseph, Mich., also believes it's fairly dangerous outside the wire, but he isn't overly concerned.

"We've been trained to handle all of these situations. Whatever comes our way we're prepared for it. The best thing you can do is train and prepare for a situation and that's what we've been doing."

Cpl. Cory Shepherd, of Albany, Ind., agrees. "I think if we keep doing what we're taught and continue being vigilant it's not really that dangerous. When you're rolling down the streets it's not that much of a threat. It's just when we stay posted in the same place for four days that it gives the enemy a little time to coordinate an attack."

Shepherd was describing Company B's recent four-day construction project in nearby Khalidyah. As part of the security element, he was involved in a short firefight during the mission's third day.

Shepherd said he occasionally thinks about the danger, but not often.

"I'm confident in all the Marines in this command. They do a good job of keeping each other safe. The threat's out there but we've been in a couple of engagements before and everybody's acted exactly like they're supposed to."

Besides, this is what Company B's leathernecks enlisted for, said Staff Sgt. Chris Haggerty, of South Bend. "Marines aren't happy unless they're 'in it.' "

"We go out every day hoping something like that happens," Shepherd added. "So if it happens -- it's just all that much better. It's kind of disappointing that we can't chase after them but it's not our job -- our job is to find IEDs (improvised explosive device) and stuff like that."

Not being allowed to pursue the enemy once visual contact is lost is a problem, according to Sgt. Stanley of Elkhart. "Because of politics right now there's not a lot we can do to go after them except wait for them to come after us and then try to get them then and there."

But contact with the enemy has been rare.

"Most of us have never fired at anyone or anything like that," explained Sgt. William Sickels, of Elkhart. "The threat's really unknown. It's there but it's not. It's kind of a shoot and escape. It's not your ideal war like you see on TV at home."

Ellie