PDA

View Full Version : Historic park is looking for a few good volunteers

thedrifter
01-02-07, 06:58 AM
Marblehead message
Historic park is looking for a few good volunteers

By Brian MacQuarrie, Globe Staff | January 2, 2007

MARBLEHEAD -- The tiny plot of meticulously groomed grass and pea stone jutting into storied Marblehead Harbor is a hard-to-find sanctuary, a park bordered by the drab-brick headquarters of the Municipal Light Department and dozens of sailboats covered for the winter.

But 94 years ago, in the rocky cove beside this speck of land, Lieutenant Alfred A. Cunningham grabbed the stick of a rickety, two-wing "hydroplane," puttered out to the harbor, lifted into the sky, and became the first aviator of the United States Marine Corps.

Today, the "birthplace of Marine aviation," as the park has been designated by the US government, is maintained year-round in immaculate condition through the efforts of a former Marine and a few volunteers who donate time and money to their labor of love.

Not a cent of taxpayer funding is used for the estimated $6,000 of annual upkeep, said Don Humphreys, 83, a World War II veteran who served with the Marines in Guadalcanal. But now, since the sudden, recent departure of the husband-and-wife team who raised and lowered the flag every day, Humphreys is looking for a few, good, patriotic fill-ins.

"We can use the help," said Humphreys, a Marblehead resident who enlisted the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor. "To me, this is where it all started."

That first Marine flight typifies the bravado and uncertainties of the nation's experiments with flying. Cunningham, an Army veteran of the Spanish-American War, enlisted in the Marines in 1909 after a decade selling real estate because he envisioned an important future for military aviation.

Intrigued by Cunningham's vision, the Marines dispatched him to Marblehead in August 1912 to test a single-engine seaplane constructed by W. Starling Burgess, a former yacht builder. After only 2 hours and 40 minutes of instruction, Cunningham took the plane on an aerial tour of Marblehead Harbor as townspeople watched in astonishment.

When the fuel stick showed empty, Cunningham recalled, "I got up my nerve and made a good landing. How, I don't know. This was my first solo."

By July 1913, Cunningham had made hundreds of flights. And after five years developing the fledgling corps of Marine aviators, he helped spearhead the use of Marine aircraft on the Western Front during the final months of World War I.

Julie Hahnke, a writer who practices her bagpipes in the park, took up some of the flag-raising duties last week, which had been performed previously by Steve and Micheline Ryan, who have moved to Salem.

The regimen at William L. Hammond Park, named for a former Marblehead schoolteacher, includes unfurling the Stars and Stripes at 8 a.m. and lowering the flag at sundown. But Hahnke said she could use reinforcements on those days when even the best-intentioned volunteers need a break. Humphreys currently raises and lowers the flag on weekends.

"I wouldn't mind some backup," said Hahnke, who added, laughing, that she once forgot to take the flag down overnight. "There is a place reserved in hell for those who don't get there on time."

Before 2001, when Humphreys adopted Hammond Park as his pet project, the grounds were a minefield of beer cans, dog droppings, and unkempt grass, he said.

"It was pretty ratty," said Humphreys, a former commodore of the Boston Yacht Club.

But now, even on the cusp of winter, the place is an inviting oasis where visitors can savor a panorama of waterfront estates, wave-scoured rocks, and wooden wharves.

"The town is very appreciative of the effort and work that Don and his volunteers have put into that park," said Tony Sasso, the town administrator. "It's a great place to be by the water."

And to Lili Rowen, who helps supply and maintain the park's greenery, "it's Marblehead's best-kept secret."

The volunteers receive donated assistance from Marblehead Landscaping, which tends to the grass, and from dog-walking visitors who scrupulously help themselves to the 9,000 doggie bags that Humphreys stocks each year in a park dispenser.

If he cannot find another flag-raiser, Humphreys said, he has a Plan B.

"I'll go from cotton flags to a strong sailcloth flag, and put a light on the flagpole for 24 hours," said Humphreys, who explained that an illuminated flag is permissible at night.

"But I think the park needs a little bit of personal attention," he added. "It's people going down there that inspire others, to know that somebody will be there every day, twice a day."

For Humphreys, the park is an affirmation of his 65-year-old bond with the Marine Corps.

"I guess I'm a patriot, and maybe before being a patriot, I'm a Marine," Humphreys said.

Ellie