PDA

View Full Version : Families Say Reports Help Understanding Of Marines' Life In Iraq

thedrifter
01-02-07, 06:28 AM
Families Say Reports Help Understanding Of Marines' Life In Iraq

(WSBT) They may be a world away, but the families of local Marines were able to feel a little closer to their loved ones this holiday season.

South Bend Tribune reporter Fred Dodd spent much of December with the Marines of Company B. Through his special reports, families back here had the chance to see close-up what their loved ones were going through.

One wife says Fred Dodd's videos and articles answered many of her questions and gave her a new found appreciation for her husband.

Many Company B families gathered with friends to watch the special reports.

"You feel connected, and you have knowledge. Knowledge gives you more insight into what is going on," says Sara Beckwith, the wife of Corporal Mike Beckwith.

Reports showed the aftermath of a bombing at a nearby market and even of their own men under fire.

"My breath stopped, and I said, 'Oh, my gosh. Is that him?' It is scary. You have absolutely no control over that," says Beckwith.

It's the brief glances of her husband and the sound of his voice that bring Beckwith a little comfort.

"It is good to see that when he is on the mission, he is focused and he is all about the mission," says Beckwith.

She says the reports show positive changes, like the rebuilding of an Iraqi school.

"This is why we are here. This little girl, who is a refugee now, has a school, and maybe she can read and write," says Beckwith.

Other changes aren't as noticeable, like removing IEDs that could save lives.

"You are just overwhelmed with pride for what we do, and I am so proud of him. I get amazed at him and love him a little more...a lot more," says Beckwith.

Company B was deployed in August and is expected to return this spring. Beckwith says she's already counting down the days.

Ellie