PDA

View Full Version : Asvab

YMPfcDeremer
12-30-06, 08:14 PM
I took the ASBVAB at my high school and just got the results back. Beside the averages for 10th grade students it has "Military Entrance Score (AFQT) 92". Does anyone know what this means. Does it tell me which jobs I'm eligible for in the Marines?

jinelson
12-30-06, 09:00 PM
Your score on the AFQT, or the Armed Forces Qualifying Test, determines your eligibility in all brances of the Armed Services. The ASVAB does not have an "overall" score; when someone talks about getting a score of, say 75 or 80 on the ASVAB, he or she is really talking about the AFQT score, not the overall ASVAB score.

The AFQT score is derived from your performance on just the verbal and math subtests of the ASVAB, or to be more specific: Word Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension, Arithmetic Reasoning, and Mathematics Knowledge. You should also realize that the verbal sections are doubly counted, while the math sections are only counted once.

Your percentile score on the AFQT determines your eligibility in the Armed Forces. As a general rule, anyone who scores lower than the 30th percentile will not be allowed into any branch of the Armed Forces. Army recruits must score at least 31 on the AFQT, with no more than ten percent per year being high school dropouts. GED holders must score a 50 percent or better to be eligible. Your score is very good and should enable you to have any MOS that you want. I hope this helps some.

Jim

YMPfcDeremer
12-30-06, 09:32 PM
Thanksfor the input Staff Sergeant. I have a few things that I would not mind to do in the Marines. Most of all I want to be a scout sniper or in Recon. I also would not mind to be on the Silent Drill Team. Thats what my dad did when he was in the Corps. Being a D.I. wouldn't be too bad either. Whatever I do in the Marines, I already know that I want to stay in for at least 20 years.

jinelson
12-30-06, 10:18 PM
A big OORAH!!! but first lets just concentrate on earning the title its not that easy and takes a lot of work. Just ask your Dad he will tell you the same as I will.

Jim

Accord
12-30-06, 11:25 PM
You need to find out what your GT (General Technical) score is, because that is what the Marine Corps uses for almost all jobs to see which ones you qualify for - not the AFQT.

Achped
12-31-06, 12:59 AM
Yeah, but with a 92 I'm sure he's good.

I got a 95 on my AFQT and my GT score was 137 and you only need an 80 or a 100 to pick any MOS you choose. I'm sure he's ok.

Accord
12-31-06, 01:49 AM
Also keep in mind that some technical jobs are based on what your EL, MK, etc. scores are which have no correlation whatsoever to the AFQT or GT.

PhrogmechHMX1
12-31-06, 11:33 AM
are your gt,el,cl, and mm scores above a 110? sounds that way, if they are then you qualify for any mos. Just keep this in mind..nothing is "guaranteed" in the corps. It doesnt matter what your recruiter tells you. I'm not trying to scare you but most of them are nice for a reason.

YMPfcDeremer
01-01-07, 01:08 AM
On my score sheet it only shows percentiles. How do I find out what the regular score is?

iamcloudlander
01-01-07, 04:45 AM
http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjoin/tp/asvab.htm

This link has the study guides for the asvab.htm and the decription codes as well. Some are free,some aren't