PDA

View Full Version : PT, PT, and then PT some more!

yellowwing
12-30-06, 01:13 PM
The President of the United States
Takes Pleasure in Presenting
The Navy Cross
To

Todd Corbin

Lance Corporal, United States Marine Corps

For Services as Set Forth in the Following

Citation:
For extraordinary heroism as Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement Driver, Weapons Company, 3d Battalion, 25th Marines, Regimental Combat Team 2, 2d Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward) in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM in Hadithah, Iraq.

On 7 May 2005, enemy forces ambushed Lance Corporal Corbin's platoon using a suicide vehicle borne improvised explosive device, rocket-propelled grenades, and machine guns. Instantly, three of the four vehicles were severely damaged and eleven of sixteen Marines suffered casualties.

Lance Corporal Corbin immediately repositioned his truck directly between the enemy and many of the wounded. He radioed the situation to the battalion and leapt into the enemy fire, directing Marines to engage and marking targets.

He ran to his fallen patrol leader, threw him onto his shoulder and carried him to safety while firing at the enemy with his off-hand. He re-crossed the kill zone, made his way to his fallen corpsman, bound his wounds and began carrying him.

As he began to move, the enemy engaged at close range and Lance Corporal Corbin threw himself on a wounded Marine and shielded him as friendly machine gun fire suppressed the enemy.

Organizing Marines to suppress and repel the ambush, he then, on five occasions, ran through enemy fire, recovered dead or wounded personnel, and returned them to his truck. When the casualties were loaded onto his heavily damaged vehicle, he activated its emergency systems and drove it out of the kill zone and through the city to a battalion aid station five miles away. Due to his heroism, no Marine lost his life after the initial attack.

By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, Lance Corporal Corbin reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Here's a good full length article on L/Cpl Todd Corbin that day (http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Archive/2006.09/Decorations.html). Along with Physical Training, it also shows that we train all our Marines of every rank to be prepared to Lead.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-31-06, 01:01 AM
WOW, reading that makes me think he may deserve the little blue ribbon with the white stars on it.

retread09
03-26-09, 09:48 PM
WOW, reading that makes me think he may deserve the little blue ribbon with the white stars on it.

no kidding!!

Achped
04-03-09, 11:59 AM
Wow a Navy Cross? Not trying to diminish it's meaning but if he would have lost his life he would have a medal around his neck! He earned it in my book at least! Semper Fi!

davblay
04-03-09, 04:40 PM
From the wording of that citation, it sounds like it may have been down graded to the "NAVY CROSS", from maybe the CMH! It happens all the time in our Corps ya know!

Outstanding post, thank you,

Dave

SSgt McCord
06-03-09, 08:49 AM
I would say the CMH would be a nice award for this Marine. Since he go the Navy Cross, I say he needed to be Promoted!!! That is a TRUE MARINE!!!!

LCpl, I dont know where you are, but my cover is off to you!!! SEMPER FI!!