View Full Version : A former Marine smokes out phony Marines

thedrifter
12-30-06, 08:11 AM
A former Marine smokes out phony Marines <br />
By Harry Levins <br />
POST-DISPATCH SENIOR WRITER <br />
Saturday, Dec. 30 2006 <br />
<br />
If you run across William J. Bock of Brentwood when he's wearing a Marine Corps ...

crate78
12-30-06, 01:56 PM
The simplest way to pick out a phony is to ask him what his MOS was.

Duty stations, etc, can be rehearsed, but wannabes normally haven't a clue what an MOS is--and no Marine ever forgets his.

It's worked for me several times.

SF
crate

Sgt Leprechaun
12-31-06, 07:29 AM
Yup.

SuNmAN
12-31-06, 08:49 AM
The simplest way to pick out a phony is to ask him what his MOS was.

Duty stations, etc, can be rehearsed, but wannabes normally haven't a clue what an MOS is--and no Marine ever forgets his.

It's worked for me several times.

SF
crate

If someone really wants to pretend they can easily say "I'm an 0311 Infantry Rifleman"

its not that hard to find out

lol

Sgt Leprechaun
12-31-06, 09:02 AM
And my next question would be, "Oh really? So was I. Where did you do SOI?"

ridingcrops
01-20-07, 09:51 AM
I love reading this stuff.
I've run into a lot of these guys but two stick out in my mind. One was buying a car from me and didn't get what he wanted so he gave me some stuff about we didn't put up with that sh*t in the Corps. Of course I asked him about being in the Corps and he said that doesn't matter. Then his kid came up and sais daddy you were never a Marine, imagine being done in by the truth from your own kid. Needless to say I was sort of cool to him from then on and he didn't get his way.
The other was a big BS artist and when we met he was with his wife who I guess he was trying to impress. He told me he was a "Marine corpsman" in Nam. I nicely pointed out that the corpsmen were sailors who served with Marine units. then I procedded to get a lecture about how wrong I was and he had served with Marine units in Nam and how he went to corpsman school and was never in the Navy because he was a Marine. Guess things changed when I was in, no wait, he said he was in the same time as me in the 60s. Guess I must be the stupid one.

maverickmarine
01-20-07, 10:13 AM
Yeah, we talked all about this on another thread but I have to say that is freakin' outstanding that the guys kid busted him, LMAO!