PDA

View Full Version : Hold the line...CMC praises Arizona recruiters in call

thedrifter
12-30-06, 07:34 AM
Phoenix, Ariz. (Dec. 29, 2006) -- A group of Marine recruiters in the Grand Canyon state got an unexpected gift for Christmas this year in the form of a congratulatory phone call from the Corps' senior leadership.

The Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James T. Conway made that call to Gunnery Sergeant Edward L. Johnston, the NCOIC of RSS East Mesa, RS Phoenix earlier this month, congratulating him and the Marines of his office for the extraordinary feat of completing the monthly contracting on the first processing day of each month since July of 2006.

The leatherneck canvassing recruiter answering the phone, Sgt. Opie Slivers, initially suspected the call was a prank being conducted by a fellow Marine.

“I thought it was a joke,” explained the 27-year-old Slivers. “Just to be on the safe side I put the Commandant on hold and with a smile, looked back at Gunnery Sergeant Johnston and said ‘Gunny, Commandant on line 3 for you.’”

“At first I really did not think it was the Commandant,” said Johnston, a 34-year-old native of El Centro, Calif. “During the conversation he started giving facts on things that only someone who had access to the information would know, as in shipping percentages and contracting goals, so then I knew it was really him.”

RSS East Mesa’s monthly recruiting mission varies from 5 to 7 contracts, but they have consistently overproduced and, on occasion, written double their required mission.

During the course of the conversation, Johnston discussed his operational plans for the balance of the month, and re-affirmed his commitment to keep the positive momentum going in spite of the hectic schedule. “It is easy for a station to get complacent and to me, that it the worst thing that can happen, especially during the holiday months.”

While it is easy to fall into an “all work and no play” mentality, Johnston tries to strike a balance for his troops. He explained that quality of life for a Marine on recruiting duty is the key motivational piece that keeps your Marines wanting to accomplish their mission month after month. “I am a firm believer that if someone is motivated to do something, they will do it to the best of their abilities,” Johnston added.

From time off to simply letting the Marine know that he is doing a good job, Johnston knows each one of his Marines motivational points.

Aside from motivation Johnston also pushes his Marines to use each other’s strong points to help everyone get through the daily trials and tribulations of recruiting duty. He credits most the knowledge he has gained on recruiting duty to Master Sgt Anthony Camacho, NCOIC, RSS Chandler, AZ.

“(Camacho) would ask me do a certain thing, tell me how to do it and then explain why it needed to be done,” said Johnston. “He utilizes group effort so every Marine can learn from each other.

All of the recruiters in RSS East Mesa have a strong sense of respect for Johnston and understand he will do all he can to make the team successful.

“We will go to him with questions and if he doesn’t know he finds out without hesitating,” said Slivers. “We all get along both in and out of the office. That makes it easier to understand when one us may be having a rough day and help your brother work through it.”

“We all have strong points and we use those strong points to help each other obtain the contract,” added Slivers’ fellow recruiter Gunnery Sgt Ray Perez Jr.

The unit cohesion sets Johnston’s mind at ease when it comes to the increase in mission requirements in January for RSS East Mesa.

The East Mesa recruiters will work long hours and weekends if needed to keep the momentum going. They do it mostly for themselves but overall they do not want to let the team down. Be it in Iraq in a fighting position, on patrol in Afghanistan or interviewing on an applicant, they give it 110% to ensure they accomplish the mission. Johnston added, “They’re Marines first and foremost, and they need to believe it every day.”

Ellie