PDA

View Full Version : College Student

anndruu12
12-29-06, 12:09 PM
Hello Marines. I am 20 years old and since high school, college was all i ever thought about. Joining the Military had never really crossed my mind. Recently, however, with my brother graduating boot, and myself thinking about career choices, I have become somewhat interested. My question is this, I am 3 credits away from obtaining my Associates degree where I had planned to continue on for my Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. I have always wanted a computer job for some kind of defense or intelligence company and I know I could probably do something like this in the Marines. Is joining the Marines halfway through college something a lot of people do? Is it really a good idea or would it be better to finish out college and try to land a job somewhere outside the military or maybe OCS? I am rather torn on this issue. Thanks for your help.

Marine84
12-29-06, 12:11 PM
Honey, if you're doing it for the money - DON'T join the Corps!

anndruu12
12-29-06, 12:16 PM
Not in anyway concerned about money. If that were the case I would persue a different route.

Marine84
12-29-06, 01:22 PM
Then it really depends on what YOU want to do - if you feel like joining halfway through college - go for it. You'll find that there is no rhyme or reason as to why we joined the Corps or at what point in our lives we join.

Just make dang sure you're ready to handle it though................

Ceya
12-29-06, 01:27 PM
The Marine Corps has a good Computer program and you can continue your degree with SOCMAR.

As stated before if you joining for the money, we don't have any.Were too busy spending it on gear and training.and getting the Navy to give more.

You can get into Comm and Intel battalions and move up. Do your research on those MOS.

You are also young enough to go to OCS or a Warrant officer.

S/F,
CEYA!

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-29-06, 01:36 PM
There are plenty of ways you can serve. You can complete your education and try for OCS, or even enlist. You can serve now and finish your degree while on active duty.

There are plenty of jobs that will use your computer skills. Look into all of your options, talk with a recruiter about the different jobs that are available when you want to enlist. But remember, if you decide to enlist, you're a Marine first. If you are needed to carry a rifle on a patrol, that is what you will do.

anndruu12
12-29-06, 01:42 PM
But remember, if you decide to enlist, you're a Marine first. If you are needed to carry a rifle on a patrol, that is what you will do.

I would have no problem with that :)

I will also have to look deeper into SOCMAR. I hadn't previously seen that. Thanks

Ceya
12-30-06, 01:33 PM
I would have no problem with that :)

I will also have to look deeper into SOCMAR. I hadn't previously seen that. Thanks

http://www.soc.aascu.org/socmar/Default.html

SOCMAR is the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) degree program for the Marine Corps.

It consists of colleges that offer associate and bachelor's degree programs on or accessible to Marine Corps installations worldwide.

These colleges have joined together to form networks in which each college accepts credits from all the others.

This guarantees that Marine Corps students and their adult family members can continue toward completion of their degrees even though the Marine Corps may transfer them several times

S/F,
CEYA!