PDA

View Full Version : Marine fought in Battle of Iwo Jima

thedrifter
12-27-06, 07:29 AM
Marine fought in Battle of Iwo Jima
December 27, 2006

BY ERIN CALANDRIELLO Courier News

More than six decades ago, a 21-year-old Cpl. Harrison Giertz of Elgin stepped foot on the tiny South Pacific island of Iwo Jima.

A total of 6,825 American men would lose their lives there over the next six weeks, but the mission of winning World War II became a possibility.

The artillery corporal survived one of the bloodiest assaults of blasting shells and withering fire in U.S. Marine Corps history.

Mr. Giertz died Dec. 20 of Alzheimer's disease. He was 83.

"He died very peacefully at home surrounded by his family," said Jeff Giertz, his son and a retired bricklayer. "He had Alzheimer's for the past year, and the last couple of months have been tough. In a way it was hard, but it was also a celebration of his life. He died in dignity. We knew it was going to happen and it's better this way. Trust me, nobody would want to live that way."

Born in 1923, Mr. Giertz was a 1942 graduate of Elgin High School who later attended Drake University in Iowa. He was a member of the U.S. 4th Marine Division during WWII, which prompted him to later volunteer in many veteran organizations.

Love of community
He was a family man who loved his community, said his son, who also served in the Marine Corps.

"He gave of himself to everything, including his community. He always helped out around town from digging out Little League baseball fields to helping out in parades," said Jeff Giertz. "He was a good father. He always picked us over his friends ... because his family came first."

Mr. Giertz inspired Dorris, his wife of 55 years, and their three children to hold their heads high and to love their families.

"My father's legacy will continue with us. Everybody leads by example, and my father definitely did that," his son said. "He always said to us, 'Keep your chin up. If you look down you might miss something.' "

Despite inspiring his family, Mr. Giertz didn't share his war experiences with them until late in life.

"He always used to say, 'I saw a lot, I went through a lot and I tried to live my life accordingly.' Only in the last 10 years did he start to talk about it," Jeff Giertz said. "I think he planned on taking his experiences in WWII to the grave."

Remembering all
Another Elgin area Iwo Jima veteran, Gordon Schnulle, said all Marines who served in the war -- not just Mr. Giertz -- will be remembered "due to the picture Joe Rosenthal took [of U.S. troops raising the flag on Iwo Jima]."

"Mr. Giertz was quite a gentleman," said Schnulle, who met him briefly at the unveiling of an Iwo Jima etching in Carpentersville three years ago. "He was a part of the 4th Marine Division and I was a part of the 5th Marine Division."

"The generation today has a tendency to forget history," Schnulle said. "They must remember that our freedom was fought for. We shouldn't expect freedom. Freedom isn't free, so don't thank God or the press or the government -- thank a veteran."

Mr. Giertz was a lifetime member of the "Fighting 4th" Marine Association and served as past president of the Chicago area chapter.

He also was an active member of the American Legion Post 57, VFW Post 1307 and the Elgin Detachment Marine Corps League, and a retired Golden 50-year member of Bricklayers and Allied Craftsman.

A military service will begin at noon today at Laird Funeral Home in Elgin. A burial will follow at St. Charles Borromeo Church Cemetery in Hampshire.

Sun-Times News Group

Ellie