PDA

View Full Version : Remember those who paid the ultimate price And urge leaders to find consensus on Iraq

thedrifter
12-26-06, 01:16 PM
Remember those who paid the ultimate price And urge leaders to find consensus on Iraq
Tuesday, December 26, 2006

"I was born in America. (Serving in the Marines is) an appreciation of where I was born. I want to pay back.'' - Marine Lance Cpl. Andy Kim, 20, talking to his mother. Kim died in Iraq on Nov. 1, 2006.

"Cliff wanted the teachers to share in his success and teachers appreciate that. Cliff left Chelsea as a kid and came back a man.'' - Marlene Segal, Chelsea High School teacher, describing Marine Lance Cpl. Cliff Collinsworth, 20, who died on Oct. 21, 2006.

"He said, 'I fly high and try not to get hit.' I told him I loved him and to stay safe.'' - Gerald Bloomfield, an Ypsilanti Township resident and father of Maj. Gerald M. Bloomfield II, a 38-year-old career Marine and helicopter pilot who died on Nov. 2, 2005.

It's heartbreaking but so vital to remember these men - among nearly a dozen with ties to our community - who have died in Iraq.

Most recently, Army Spc. Andrew P. Daul, 21, of Brighton, died on Dec. 19. Killed after an improvised explosive device went off near his Abrams tank, Daul was set to leave Iraq in February.

The tragic human toll taken by the war in Iraq is well-documented: Some 3,000 American troops have died since the U.S. moved into Iraq in March 2003. That number will surely climb before the military withdraws, whenever that might be.

We mourn the loss. Beyond that, we must remember the details of these soldiers' lives - their dreams, their passions, even their foibles - to reinforce how very dear a price we are paying for this war.

Heading into 2007, we urge our elected leaders to reach consensus and find a viable way to end this conflict. We are heartsick at the tremendous cost being extracted from the brave volunteers who make up our armed forces, both from our hometowns and beyond.

Ellie