PDA

View Full Version : Mystery man insists he'll keep on paying

thedrifter
12-26-06, 06:55 AM
Mystery man insists he'll keep on paying
By Bill Wundram | Tuesday, December 26, 2006

NO matter what these gung-ho Marines say, the “phantom man” will pick up their breakfast tabs again Thursday at Village Inn, Bettendorf.

For 28 times, the stranger has bought breakfast for 25 or 35 Marines who meet the last Thursday of each month at Village Inn.

For most of the guys, this has not been a C-ration or Spam breakfast. Some order omelets and all the trimmings.

They take up one entire end of the inn, many in Marine caps or sweatshirts, and with hellish tales of the bloodbaths of Guadalcanal, Saipan, Tinian and Guam. Most are in their twilight years, though there are always a few young bucks who were in Vietnam. A couple are from Korea.

THEY’VE MET THREE YEARS, but 28 months ago a mysterious benefactor began paying the breakfast tab. No one ever knew who, but they didn’t object.

Once when I dined with the gang, Ki Evans of Coal Valley — who was so severely wounded in WWII two days after his 19th birthday that he wasn’t expected to survive — said to me, “Maybe it’s a good idea that we don’t know who he is.”

Whatever, this Mr. Nice Guy has kept on paying. Tami Hardy, who always serves the guys, says, “I don’t know his name. He is in the place when they meet, and tells me to give him the checks.”

Those checks are pushing $300 a month, but the benefactor has never complained.

ENTER NOW ELMER MAPES, a tough ex-Marine who has been mustering the guys all these times.

“I’ve been in contact with the kind man buying our breakfast. I’ve told him to knock it off. We admired his generosity, but felt some were taking advantage by ordering extra-big breakfasts. I told him we have appreciated his big heart, but now every guy will have to pay his own.”

The benefactor will have none of that. I made contact, promising to keep him anonymous.

“I’m planning to continue paying,” he insisted. “This is a simple way of saying thanks to these men who risked their lives for all Americans. I’m 65, a history buff who has been to a lot of places in this world. I don’t agree that some guys fill up for breakfast when I’m paying the check. They get all that they deserve.”

He sums it up: “It makes me feel good for all they did for us.

“The kids and all the young people of today do not have the slightest idea of what guys like these went through in World War II … they know nothing about it.”

A red wagon and the day after …

The church has a manger scene out front, with the wise men, shepherds, animals and — of course — the Baby Jesus.

On Christmas Day the preacher drives past and notices that Baby Jesus is missing. He drives on for a block and sees a little boy pulling a red wagon. In the wagon is the missing Baby Jesus. He stops and asks the boy what is going on.

“Well,” replies the lad, “before Christmas I prayed and prayed if Jesus would give me a red wagon for Christmas, I would give him a ride around the block. I got the wagon, so here we go … hang on, Jesus.”

SMALL THOUGHTS AT LARGE: More happy moments in little lives — Matt Leonard, 7, Bettendorf, won a new bike at the opening of a Dollar General Store. Big thrill. His li’l sister, Hope, 6, was not exactly pouting but felt put out until she hit it big a week later. She won a Deere & Co. basket with a $100 Visa card, a DVD game, and other goodies. This, at the Bettendorf Family Museum of Arts and Science winter fest. How sweet. A double-dose of Santa for Matt and Hope.

Bill Wundram can be contacted at (563) 383-2249 or bwundram@qctimes.com.

Ellie