PDA

View Full Version : Why the Marines?

firstsgtmike
01-31-03, 01:28 AM
I found this. And it's one man's answer.

If you're lucky, maybe I'LL answer it one day.

I enlisted in the US Air Force right out of high school. Boot camp (if you want to call it that) was a breeze. I ended up being stationed in the Philippines for my first two years and had a great time. (boy, did I ever!!!!!!) Deployed to Saudi Arabia with our squadron of F-4E's in support of Operation Desert Storm. (interesting experience...living in an apartment and watching the war on CNN) After the conflict I spent my last 2 years stationed in California. In all, life in the Air Force was great, and yes we were spoiled. I left the Air Force after 4 years with a lot of wonderful memories of exotic places visited and great friends made. However, something was missing, something I could not place...

I then went into the United States Army Reserves as a
helicopter Mechanic. I spent 4 years with my unit, never went
anywhere, and never really figured out my rank because everyone
just called me Steve. No real challenge there and still,
I felt something was missing...

Finally, on Mar 8, 1996 at around 2am I found myself standing
on those famous yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego. I had found what I had been missing all those years. I found a challenge, a sense of pride, a feeling of belonging, and the knowledge that I had accomplished something many had dreamed of but few had done...becoming a United States Marine!!!

Ok, so the Corps made my go to boot camp again, make me start all over as an E-3 (it was hard explaining why I was a LCpl with a chest full of ribbons and two service stripes), and gave me a "funny haircut". I got over all that and soon began to enjoy my place in the Marine Corps "family". I remember the feeling that shot through my body the first time I was addressed as "Marine". I remember the pride I felt the first time someone on the street said, "hey look, a Marine!" I remember the first time I put on my dress blues and felt I was part of a legacy.

That was nearly 7 years ago but I can tell you that I was
in Plt 1101, 1st BTN, Charlie Co and that my SDI's was SSGT Rice.
I can still recite my 11 General Orders. I can tell you the exact
date and time I became a "Shellback" aboard the USS Belleau Wood (LHA 3). I can still fire expert on the rifle range almost in
my sleep. As for my time in the Air Force, I can tell you that
I went to boot camp in San Antonio, Tx. As for the name of my TI
(that's DI to us...), I haven't the foggiest. I can remember
many friends from the Air Force and Army, but NOT ONE last name!!!!

I have respect for all branches of our fine military but
I'm truly proud to say that I am a Marine. God bless the Corps
and all my brothers and sisters in harms way. Semper Fi!!!!

Sgt Steve Chargois 1996-2000 (active)
2000-Present (reserves)

OH... and by the way... I still wear that funny haircut

jenrmurray
02-15-03, 09:29 PM
My fiance just graduated from MCRDSD Charlie Company... his platoon was 1139 and his Senior was SSGT Story. :) There is no point to this response other than the 'cool' factor of recognizing the company and BN.

and the haircuts are awesome!

greensideout
02-15-03, 09:57 PM
We had a Army SGT join us in bootcamp. His comment---how can they treat you like this! Went AWOL, over the fence, out of there three times. Never saw him again.

The Few, The Proud, The Marines!

wrbones
02-15-03, 10:04 PM
Why the Marine Corps? Why ****in' not!

I only needed one reason when I joined.

Because we're the best.

Soon2BkidTx
02-18-03, 12:52 PM
Yea....thats true....Marines are the best.....Thats why im about to go to MCRDSD within the next month. I was suppose to leave today but my SSGT's wifes dad passed away and he is out of state and can not sign me off....but its all good....i understand....god bless him and all the Marines....Hopefully soon ill have the treasurier of being called a Marine.....and wrbones.....thats exactly why i joined also!

Barndog
02-18-03, 01:36 PM
25 years later.......

I still got that funny haircut called a 'high and tight'. And I still take a shower in under 2 minutes.

OOHHHHH RAHHHHHH

Semper Fidelis

Alexander Haile
02-18-03, 07:43 PM
Marines are the best in the World, as far as I'm concerned. They are the first to respond to their country's needs, no matter what the danger. King Kong aint got nothing on the Corps! Marine recon is the best! Their aviators are the best! Hell, even their uniforms are the best! God Bless The Corps!!! Semper Fidelis

Cadet Sgt. Alexander Haile

Alexander Haile
02-18-03, 07:50 PM
I only wish that one day, I too, will have the honor of standing on those yellow footprints in San Diego/ Paris Island. The honor of accepting that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. The honor of serving my country, no matter what the danger, or price.

Cadet Sgt. Alexander Haile

thedrifter
02-18-03, 08:08 PM
It is not the uniform, not the equipement, etc that makes us the Best. It is the Men and Women who become True United States Marines because it is in their Hearts and Souls. They will be Marines forever as they who have gone before us live in us.

The Drifter

Alexander Haile
02-19-03, 08:16 PM
I have a friend who is going to enlist with me soon. He is a real great guy, and is enlisting for all the right reasons. But, we have another friend (more like an annoyance to me) who has decided to join the Air Force. I'm not trying to bust the USAF's chops here. Being in the USAF is fine! But it's his reason that bothers me... I asked him why he wanted to enlist in the USAF. His answer was "Because it's the easiest! DUH!?!" That really annoyed the crap out of me!!! Joining the USAF beacuse it's easy! He also went as far to say he wanted the USAF because they slept in buildings during missions, not tents! "Who cares were they sleep!" I said. "Don't you want to be challenged?" He of course said no. He said he'd had enough challenge in High School. That's rediculous!!! Also, guess what... this guy, who doesn't want to sleep in a tent... He's an Eagle Scout! I thought Eagle Scouts loved tents??? Soon I accepted his decision. After all, it was his to make. I asked when he was going to enlist. Then he really ****ed me off!!! "I'm going to be an officer, cause enlisted personel are dumb." That was the last straw!!! I had never heard someone as disrespectfull as him in all my life!!! He had the balls to say to my face that enlisted personel were Dumb! My father was a Chief in the Navy! (He knew that too.) My dad would have broken his neck if he were there. I, on the otherhand, settled for a right hook to the ear. After he was done crying over his red, pulsating ear, I looked him in the eye and said... "People like you are only alive because it's illegal to kill them. You'd better get your #@$# together before you join the Air Force, or any Service, cause when you get there your men will hate you if you act like this. Enlisted servicemen are the strong base and backbone of any service. Without them, officers would have no one to lead. Leading enlisted men to battle, no matter the service, is not a burden, it's an honor!" After that I think his Girlfriend dumpted him, we stopped inviting him to our parties, and my father has been asking me for his name and address ever since. I would'nt give it to him. No telling what my father would do to him...

Keeping the respect alive... Cadet Sgt. Alexander Haile

Semper fidelis, Marines. E pluribus unum to all...:mad:

wrbones
02-19-03, 08:27 PM
You are a dumb ****! Assault and battery before ya go to boot! OK. Fine. Have a little fun.

But then admit it on an open forum on the internet!

Talk about too stupid to live!

By postin' that you just proved his point ya dipstick.

Ya might want to wake up. Coffee's on. I ain't gettin' it for ya. Grab yer own cup.

Alexander Haile
02-19-03, 08:53 PM
I'm willing to take the risk. I can stand up for my own actions.

thedrifter
02-19-03, 08:54 PM
Do you walk on your brains..........You just admitted to assualt and battery to complete strangers.........Did you tell your Recruiter what you did........You don't go around hitting people because you don't like what they say.....You going to do that to your DI when he calls you some choice names........You have to think before you leap........By your rash actions you could cause the lives of your fellow Marines besides your own........

The Drifter

Alexander Haile
02-19-03, 09:13 PM
I would never do the same to a DI, or any serviceman. DI's are there to help and train. Sure they use some "Choice names" here and there, but its all constructive critcism in a way. Those DI's and others service men you speak of, sir, are good men, who know that which my Ex-friend didn't. He was a dishonorable and disrespectable person. I would've had him swing first, to clear my name, if i wasn't so PO'ed. Besides, its been a year since then. He cant sue me or anything. Who's going to be his witness? No one i know! Also, my actions in this matter in no way reflect how i would act with future service men. I would never act so quickly in a situation that may have consiquences that would affect my comrades. That swing was for my father, and other enlisted friends of mine and his. Also for the officers who know better. What would you have done in my place, sir???

ktriplett
02-19-03, 09:23 PM
1. DI = Drill Instructor. Give them the respect they deserve, you haven't passed them yet.
2. thedrifter is Staff Sergeant, not sir. As one of my recruiters would say, he works for a living.
3. ALWAYS make sure he swings first. Especially when you're ****ed. It's staying in control when under fire that will help you, not giving in to high emotion.
4. he may not be able to sue you, but if he wants to make your life difficult, he can report it. Any kind of police activity will make your life and joining the Marines difficult.

RoboRobinson17
02-20-03, 12:02 AM
Honor, Integrity, Respect....

This was a thread started by the Staff Sergeant awhile back, and was even moved back to the top when a few Poolees and Depers started thinking they owned this place. I suggest you read it, and then answer your own question of what the Staff Sergeant would have done in that situation. IF I graduate Boot, I just pray to the Good Lord that I may never share a foxhole with you.

Yours in Intensity,

Joe

RoboRobinson17
02-20-03, 12:19 AM
Haile,

Under your profile, "Wars and Conflicts you were in, if any".....

Your reply...."HAVEN'T HAD THE PLEASURE"....

This is why I wouldn't want to share a foxhole with you, or have you in my fathers' Corps: You are merely a child in maturity, and your posts reflect that; as well as a deep root to the "individual" (sounds like someone else we know on the boards...). I challenge you to research a war, any war, excluding movies or tv. You will soon find out that war is anything BUT a pleasure. It seems like you have learned nothing since joining the site, and it is a shame. A shame that you are wasting Marines' time and your own.

Yours,

Joe

JAMarine
02-20-03, 04:21 AM
Where in the Hell are we going with this?

Poolee Alexander Haile Stand Down will ya?

Thanks firstsgtmike for the Post. Glad you finally made it to the Family. Fi Marine

firstsgtmike
02-20-03, 05:07 AM
JAMarine,

"Thanks firstsgtmike for the Post. Glad you finally made it to the Family. Fi Marine"

I've got a problem with the comment. Would you care to explain it?

Post it or pm it. I'll take it either way.

artemis2003
02-21-03, 07:46 PM
First of all, you have 6 more years before you are out of the water. You forgot that all felonys have a 7 year statute of limitations. If this guy really wants to be a driviling prick, which he probably will want to be, he will wait a few more years and then come after you.

Second of all, young rowdy devil pup, don't EVER lose your cool in the fleet because it could spell the end of your career.

Third, that a**wipe gives officers a bad name and all of those who aspire to be an officer. I don't know what it is like for AF officers, but from what I've heard, I've got a long road ahead of me before I call myself "Officer of Marines". That means I have to wait another 3 years before i can call myself "Marine" and then, I am a Marine without rank for an entire year before I am commissioned. I am slighly envious of you enlisted personnel, you can claim the title in 3 months.

Last, you are right, enlisted people are the backhone, but the officers are the spinal cord. Both need each other to survive and work efficently.

This brass pup is out
-Artemis

Alexander Haile
02-21-03, 09:15 PM
Last post on subject.......
Is there no such thing as harmless joke? If I have offended anyone, I'm sorry. But that's the way I was brought up... Never hurt a woman, Never disrespect the flag or the country it stands for, Never say your perfect, Never get into politics, Never punch someone unless he throws the first punch (With the exception of pansies, who you know will never swing at you, and everyone else there has got your back in the situation.) And NEVER, EVER Drink and Drive! (It's just dumb.) That's how my father brought me up... If it's the wrong way, then so be it. I probably can't be changed. My father lived by his rules all his life. It worked for him, and yes, times have changed. Fighting isn't what it used to be. They used to let you take fights outside, were you could do all but kill eachother. Now, even if it's on your own lawn, they'll put you in hand-cuffs, take you downtown, and fine you $550.00+!!! (At least in Dallas they do.) I'm not saying what I did was right just because it fits my rules to life, but it's what I did, I'm okay so far. Everyone who was there still hates him. No one's going to be his witness. Unless he's got a video of me hitting him, he aint got a thing to go on. And to tell you the truth, at that party there were probably twenty to thirty other guys I know who would've done the same thing I did, if not a worse thing. So in a way, I might have helped him... Who knows what a few of those guys would've done. I only wanted to slug him. The other guys, some, are close to 250lbs.! They could've ate him! But anyways.... It's what I did. He was a jerk, and now he knows what will happen if he continues to act like that. Now, if I ever saw him later on in life, and he were an officer, I wouldn't hit him no matter what he said. That would be extremely dumb! But he'd better not come in my house and say those things like he did before. That's too much for me, wether your a little pansy jerk, or a general. Besides, I doubt a person such as himself would ever become an officer. He really isn't the type. I grew up around officers from all services. (Except my father.) All of the officers in my family would never talk bad about enlisted personel in general like that. They would only talk bad about a certain enlisted person, and only if he really was bad. But they'd never do what he did. (Then again, all the officers I know may be just one of the many types of officers.) In fact, from what I hear, this guy hasn't even begun to talk to his recruiter. He may have changed his mind??? I hope he hasn't. He should enlist, but with a new attitude. I think that anyone, even him, with the proper motivation, training, and experience, can become a welcomed member to the military. If I were to meet him later in life, no matter what his rank be, and he were to have a new opinion on enlisted personel, I might even invite him over to my house for dinner. (Although he might be reluctant to attend this time.) I dispised what he said, I dispised who he was, but hopefuly he has changed, or will change. Let's just leave it at this... I was being mean, to be nice.

Hoping for understanding, or at least support...
Cadet Sgt. Alexander Haile USMCROTC
Semper Fidelis, E Pluribus Unum

PS: Enlisted personel, to me, are the base as well as the backcone. (I really don't know why I'm bringing this up again???) Officers, to me, appear as more of a brains, eyes, ears, lungs sort of thing. (Now that I read this, I feel like I sound stupid?!? It sounded so right in my head?!? Oh well.)

David Schultz
02-21-03, 09:51 PM
In combat it is different. You learn to react to a reaction.
To be a Marine is to have Pride and Honor. You have to earn it.
To slug someone for saying something stupid is stupid. If he was to insult your pride or honor, you don't hit him once you kick his ass.

I joined in 67. Today I'm still a MARINE with pride and honor, always will be.

Semper Fi

Alexander Haile
02-21-03, 09:59 PM
Response...

That makes good sense. But he didn't really insult "my" pride, just that of my father. And no one does that! My father is the No.1 person in my life, so if anyone insults him, his service, his pride & honor, his intellegence, his son, his rank, and even his football team, they have to answer to me. Not all insults will be followed by a slug, maybe just some very unkind words. Also, you are correct, in battle things are different. You do learn to react to what happens around you. That is what I did. What was happening was he was letting his mouth get ahead of him, so I responded by catching it with my knuckles for him. (I made sure his mouth was tightly secured to his face.) Thanks for the insight Sgt. Schultz. Semper Fidelis

artemis2003
02-22-03, 11:43 AM
I know you may view it as a harmless joke, but the truth is there is no such thing as a harmless physical joke in this day and age. You may be wondering, "What does she know about law?" Well I serve...

wrbones
02-22-03, 12:51 PM
In any case, you don't post the incident or details of the incident on a public forum on the internet whether yer right right or wrong!

greybeard
02-22-03, 01:51 PM
UHHHH- I tried Viaga once without a prescription-is that a felony???
Just tryin to lighten the thread a little folks. :)

thedrifter
02-22-03, 02:16 PM
Enough is enough..........No matter what we say , he is always right and we are wrong.........He justifies all his actions, stating he is right and everybody else is wrong........We are just wasting our valuable time with this subject........Where as we could we helping those who need our help and want it........

The Drifter

Sixguns
02-22-03, 02:46 PM
Young man you have many lessons in life to learn yet. Based on some of your postings, I would say you have know idea what the words HONOR, COURAGE and COMMITMENT mean. <br />
<br />
Honor = Respecting someone's...

Alexander Haile
02-22-03, 04:45 PM
With all due respect, SSgt. Drifter, sir. I don't justify my actions, I just execute them. While others would rather justify themselves standing there and taking it.

wrbones
02-22-03, 04:50 PM
Can you say, "OOPS"?

Alexander Haile
02-22-03, 04:51 PM
why oops? just voicing an opinion

wrbones
02-22-03, 05:06 PM
Kid, you just trash talked two SNCO's, whether you know it or not! One of whom is still active duty! You may end up working with him! The other one is the Top Moderator on this site, which means that yer werkin' real hard on givin' up use of the resources on this site!

Ya keep justifiyin' yerself, or attacking those who are tryin' to help ya out here. The Marines of today are held to a higher standard of conduct than in times past. You will most certainly pay with your career when you are caught doing anything untoward. Even in times past, it was not a good idea to go braggin' about what ya done 'out in town'. You keep braggin' and justifyin' yerself instead of takin' responsibility and keepin' yer mouth shut and accepting that someone else might know a thing or two. Not a good idea in any venue.

There are numerous Marines of all ranks who are members of this site or who visit this site who are active duty Marines from nearly all MOS's in the Marine Corps. Do you think that you might not be stationed with some of them? Yer showin' yer ass kid. Ya might want to re-think yer strategy here.

I've tried to help ya and to warn ya. Yer on yer own, now kiddo!

uh34d
02-22-03, 05:57 PM
I'm new to this list and a former Marine. My son just became a Marine February 14th, 2003. It is difficult to believe the actions related in this thread. Hot heads have no place in the military...period. From my experience and history, this is the type of person you would not want to be around in a hot LZ. Discipline is more than a salute. Hopefully, someone will council this individual off line and possibly salvage someone who has good intentions but is immature. He may posses the raw material of a warrior, but it needs a little tweaking.

ktriplett
02-22-03, 06:13 PM
Haile: life is a journey, my friend, and along that journey we all make mistakes. Regardless of what you may think of it, the popular opinion on this site believes you have made a mistake. Now, you can do one of two things: either you read and listen to what others, who are older and more experienced (no, I don't include myself in that phrase), say to you and take their lesson to heart, or you can stubbornly continue to believe that the way you acted was not irresponsible and rather than become an asset to my great country as a Marine, you will instead become a loose end. We all know that sooner or later, loose ends are tied up and that's never fun.
It's all about the journey. It doesn't end until you die. Everyday, lessons are learned which will guide you on your way, but if you ignore those lessons, if you instead decide to take the selfish, "know-it-all" road, you will be trampled by the more intelligent, responsible players in this little game we call life. You're still young, buddy, don't become roadkill.

leroy8541
02-22-03, 09:18 PM
Hey Mister Haile, never let a sucker get the first punch now that is foolish!! Always ,if you feel that it is going to come to it, get the first punch, prefferably in the nose followed by a flurry of kicks and some serious elbows to the back of the neck, but if you don't feel the puss is going to actually fight then back off because assault and battery is a serious offense dude.and most fags that are afraid, will shoot you in the back, or pen-fvck you in the arse. Those free flowing fists of yours need to be kept in check if you are actually comming on board, because I promise in your present state of maturity a swing will buy you a broken arm at least. But I always like a firey bastard.

Barrio_rat
02-22-03, 09:26 PM
Hey, I know this kid from when I was in.. He was a LCpl and, one time when the day was done, I told him to grab a broom and start sweeping - he asked WHY....

I'll let y'all do the math from there... and it wasn't an open forum.

Semper Fi!

Sparrowhawk
02-23-03, 11:38 AM
I just want to know where greybeard got that Viagra....

That he admits using it, is another matter... ROTFLMAO

Osotogary
02-23-03, 02:20 PM
Alexander Haile,
Young man. The most seriously, deadly, persons that I have ever known were those that, if you looked and spoke with them, you'd never know it. There was a Sensei from Okinawa who could literally pierce an opponents skin with his fingers and pull out a vital organ who I had the pleasure of spending an evening with.
This gentleman was as mild as experiencing a warm summers day with a cold lemonade. This gentleman would do his utmost to avoid "final " confrontation. When I asked him ,"What would you do if someone pushed you?", he said, "I'd keep on falling down until my opponent got tired and walked away". Lesson : The more you know, the more you won't want to use it.
The above analogy and example might not be what you're looking for but it is what I am offering at this moment.
Please pay heed to the advise of others in these matters. Your law and the law that is currently on the judicial scrolls seems to be different. There are many, many instances where court sympathy was over ruled by the law of the land.
Adios from South Florida.
Take care of yourself.
Gary

02-23-03, 06:08 PM
Hey folks, remember you can't argue with a "I D TEN T"

I tried, but then I found out they made aluminum baseball bats (recycle) just to get their attention.

Don't waste your energy.

Take care-Steve

Alexander Haile
02-24-03, 11:41 PM
Today (02-24-03), I was promoted to a Cadet Staff Seargent. However, I may be just as you say; an inmature, irresponsible, short fused, punk kid. But my SMI and EMI don't think so. (Or he does but wont tell me.) They monitor my posts on this site, and so far all I've heard from them is support.

Someone (Not naming anyone.) here said he would talk to my cadet CO about my case here. My CO is waiting for the call. He says he's anxious for it. (He believes that I was in the wrong alittle too, but you might want to hear it from him.) Anyone wanting to speak to my CO can e-mail me for the number. I'll be glad to give it.

Cadet SSgt. Alexander Haile Semper Fidelis

wrbones
02-25-03, 12:41 AM
Alex, do you read anything on this site other than response to your own posts? I've been watching and I haven't seen it. You're passing up a wonderful opportunity here.

I have no other response at this time. Drifter will respond to you in time, I'm sure.

JChristin
02-25-03, 12:49 AM
Hey Alexander Haile

If you make it to boot, and I hope you do, you are about to experience a spiritual awakening that will change you and rechannel your agressive behaviours. I wish you well, because with the right type of leadership, and willingness on your part for change, you have the fine makings of a great Marine.

However, all that I have read in this forum concerns me, as it does everyone else, or so it appears. Here is a clue: the greatest victories come from a battle of wits and smarts, not fists and cuffs.

I am a woman Marine and I will take on any other person or Marine in a challenge of wit and smarts. I've done it here in these forums. At the time of challenge, I will not faulter. I will use all my inner resources to produce the desire results without violence or phycial injury to another. I will employ all my inner resources to overcome any obstacle, to meet any objective, to obtain any goal. I will not allow any male Marine to overshadow me or to "pull" me down as some second class citizen and Marine. I am first class all the way. Nothing else will do. Why do you think I became a Marine in the first place. But the true victory comes from allowing your oppontent to lose with dignity and grace. That is where true strength of character derives. That my friend is a sign of intergrity.

Yes, I'm a hothead. Keep me away from those pansy war protester. I mean that too. They will loose any battle of wit with this Marine. I love being an American and the founding principles that makes our country all so great. But most of all, my greatest love is The United States Marine Corps. Just don't tell my two son's that. They are my greatest two miracles. I have the Eagle, Globe and Anchor, but they have my heart.

You will make a good Marine, if you desire it above all else, and all that comes with it.

Semper fi
jchristin

leroy8541
02-25-03, 09:31 PM
Mr. Gary, Was this Sensei your speaking of a J.P. from around the Foster area of Okinawa, who also gave self defence classes in Virginia to FBI agents in their "basic" training and to their field operatives I cannot remember his name it has been a long time ago. If it is One in the same you are right this man is extremely dangerous, but from looking and talking to him you would think he is a turnip farmer I watched him put a coin into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket fill it with sand then punch his fist thru the sand to retrieve the coin in a blink of an eye. The only way to Identify these men in Okinawa are the round callouses on their knuckles.
I got the oppurtunity to walk S.P. with him on a few rounds very interesting fellow this one and a pleasure to work with.

USNMAN
03-04-03, 09:07 PM
hey now, thats my kid your talking about... i have no anger toward any of you for your opinions, but my son acted just as I would've in his place. I thank him for his service to me as well.

greensideout
03-04-03, 09:41 PM
USNMAN,

Welcome on board!

Ya, I thought the kid sounded like good recruit material. Met many like him in the Corps and they made the Marine that you wanted with you when the Marine by your side was the most important person that God had created!

I think the point given by most to the young man was to be careful in what he did at this point in life. It was good advice.

Would I want him in my unit? Yes, and more like him.

I would caution him however to keep his tail out of trouble till he gets to boot. He'll learn the rules of engagement then.

Again, welcome.

Shaffer
03-04-03, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't want a punk kid in my unit. First of all he is just that...kid. Not a Marine and probably never be. If you share the same views as your son that proves the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I would suggest he follow your footsteps as well and join the Navy.

Regards,
Jerry

wrbones
03-04-03, 09:56 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4424&highlight=JROTC+creed

wrbones
03-04-03, 10:04 PM
BTW. There are numerous members of law enforcement on the site.

USN, 'yer boy' screwed the pooch and won't take the hit for it.

i.e. braggin' about a willful violation of the law on a public forum.

Not very bright. Bad judgement. Immature. Irresponsible. Ignorant. Stupid. Blah, blah, blah. Kid might need to re-think his life here.

I was givin' him the benefit of the doubt 'til he did that. The stupid part, that is.

Bein' young and ignorant can be fixed. Stupid is another matter.

Ignorance is not knowin' any better. Stupid is knowin' better and doin' it anyway.

greensideout
03-04-03, 11:27 PM
Yep, what the kid said was stupid.

Yep, he's a kid.

No, I wouldn't want a punk kid in my unit either.

That's what bootcamp is about.

Taking a punk kid who doesn't understand the rules of life yet and teaching him discipline is what boot is about, isn't it?

At least he shows signs of a warrior. Not a bad trait for a Marine hopeful.

Will he make a Marine? Maybe, if he keeps his sh*t together.

(I'm glad we knew it all when we were young.)

wrbones
03-04-03, 11:39 PM
LMAO. Hell, I knew everything when I was a kid! ;)

ktriplett
03-04-03, 11:53 PM
I knew everything before I moved out. Or at least, I thought my parents knew nothing. Now, I'm amazed at how much they have learned in the past three years.

wrbones
03-04-03, 11:59 PM
My eighteen year old nephew learned another lesson last year....

Never wrassle with an old fart. :D

marine6674
03-05-03, 01:55 PM
I hope A.Haile can take orders.

For one never call a drill instucter ( D I ) You have not yet earned that right. Learn to think before you act, acting before you think might cost a Marine his life.

wrbones
03-05-03, 11:08 PM
Once again, my point was the stupidity of bragging about it on an open and public forum.

One type of case where discretion is perhaps the better part of valor......

wrbones
03-05-03, 11:11 PM
? <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
NCO Creed: (excerpt from Warrior Culture of the U.S. Marines, copyright 2001 Marion F. Sturkey)

wrbones
03-05-03, 11:13 PM
Staff NCO Creed: (excerpt from Warrior Culture of the U.S. Marines, copyright 2001 Marion F. Sturkey)

We all need roadmaps for life. We all need goals. Those unfortunate souls who don't know what is expected of them can rarely accomplish anything of significance, and they can never be a team player.

In the Marine Corps each Marine -- regardless of rank, in war or in time of peace -- has goals and responsibilities. Goals change from time to time and from situation to situation. But, the elementary and constant responsibility of each Staff NCO is outlined in the Staff NCO Creed:

I am a Staff Noncommissioned Officer in the United States Marine Corps. As such, I am a member of the most unique group of professional military practitioners in the world. I am bound by duty to God, Country, and my fellow Marines to execute the demands of my position to and beyond what I believe to be the limits of my capabilities.

I realize I am the mainstay of Marine Corps discipline, and I carry myself with military grace, unbowed by the weight of command, unflinching in the execution lawful orders, and unswerving in my dedication to the most complete success of my assigned mission.

Both my professional and personal demeanor shall be such that I may take pride if my juniors emulate me, and knowing perfection to lie beyond the grasp of any mortal hand, I shall yet strive to attain perfection that I may ever be aware of my needs and capabilities to improve myself. I shall be fair in my personal relations, just in the enforcement of discipline, true to myself and my fellow Marines, and equitable in my dealing with every man.

SgtShag
09-09-06, 01:46 AM
I can't believe someone found this! I wrote this about three years ago and posted it on another Marine Corps site. I'm glad to see that my words have a positive effect and and influence on people considering joining our Marine family. I have been out of uniform now for a few years but I am still very much a Marine. Semper Fi to all my brothers and sisters serving or having had served in our beloved Corps!

Steve Chargois
Sgt of Marines
1996-2000 Active
2000-2004 Reserves:usmc:

yellowwing
09-09-06, 06:16 AM
Are you a warrior? Do you want to test your self to be the best? Are you sitting in Uncle Sams Army thinking you can do better?

Perhaps we can help. We don't gurantee ****. We do gurantee that you will be an elite warrior. If you do measure up you will be the first to visit strange exotic lands and get the first chance to shoot them.

If you are up for reenlistment dial 1-800-MarineCorps. We can change your life if you are not a wussy.