PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia on the USMC--NEED'S HELP OF MARINES!

3077India
12-25-06, 08:12 PM
For a while now I've been active in the Wikipedia and one of my topics of interest is the United States Marine Corps. Those who don't know, the Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia that can be edited by anyone. However, the problem tends to be with misinformation, vandalism and extreme subjectivity (objectivity or neutrality is preferred). What I would like to see is more Marines providing accurate information to the Wikipedia on the Corps.

If you, my brother Marines, would like to do this, below are links to Wikipedia pages that pertain to the Corps.:iwo:

United States Marine Corps Portal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:United_States_Marine_Corps)
United States Marine Corps (Category Page) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:United_States_Marine_Corps)
United States Marine Corps (Main Article About The Corps) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps)

SuNmAN
12-25-06, 08:51 PM
from what I've seen on the USMC on Wikipedia it tends to be pretty accurate and neutral.

what do you expect them to change?

3077India
12-25-06, 09:05 PM
Not really talking about changing, but adding more information. Such as:

Famous Marines or Important Marines
Maybe life in the Corps?
Recruit Training (both PI and SD)Just to name a couple. :p

SuNmAN
12-25-06, 11:48 PM
oohh ok

but Wikipedia does have certain standards to the quality of their articles

I personally believe writing such articles, and correctly citing sources for them is beyond the literary scope of any of us on this site...

Sgt Leprechaun
12-26-06, 06:45 AM
Ummm.....are you being sarcastic? Cause I bet I could cite, write, and source your 4th point of contact into the ground.....

SuNmAN
12-26-06, 09:11 AM
lol

actually I wasnt

I think its certainly beyond my abilities

but if you're able to, go for it lol

3077India
12-26-06, 09:19 AM
oohh ok

but Wikipedia does have certain standards to the quality of their articles

I personally believe writing such articles, and correctly citing sources for them is beyond the literary scope of any of us on this site...Basically, you're implying that Marines (as a whole) are ROCKS? That they are incapable of intelligent thought processes? :mad: :p

You are correct in that Wikipedia does have certain standards, but they aren't hard to follow, besides articles (the more popular ones at least) are debated, discussed, edited and re-edited on a regular basis. The main thing the Wiki looks for in an article is neutrality, objectivity & source documentation. :nerd:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-26-06, 09:35 AM
Nothing is beyond a Marine's abilities if he/she puts their mind to it!!!

"Rock"...I haven't been called that in decades...

SuNmAN
12-26-06, 10:56 AM
Basically, you're implying that Marines (as a whole) are ROCKS? That they are incapable of intelligent thought processes? :mad: :p

You are correct in that Wikipedia does have certain standards, but they aren't hard to follow, besides articles (the more popular ones at least) are debated, discussed, edited and re-edited on a regular basis. The main thing the Wiki looks for in an article is neutrality, objectivity & source documentation. :nerd:

lol note on an MRE heater it tells us to incline the MRE on a "rock or something"

sweet life how dumb are we haha

SkilletsUSMC
12-26-06, 11:18 AM
lol note on an MRE heater it tells us to incline the MRE on a "rock or something"

sweet life how dumb are we haha

HAHAHA I love that one too! I like to joke that "im in between a rock or something and a hard place."