PDA

View Full Version : Napa families reflect on Christmas while relatives do their duty in Iraq

thedrifter
12-25-06, 11:40 AM
Carla Clift's 22 year-old son Marine Cpl. Sean Louthan is missing his second Christmas this year while on his second tour in Iraq. "It's easier the second time around. But I haven't figured out why," said Clift. Jorgen Gulliksen/Register

Napa families reflect on Christmas while relatives do their duty in Iraq
By CRISTINA DE LEON-MENJIVAR, Register Staff Writer
Monday, December 25, 2006 1:14 AM PST

Denise Hernandez and her family love the holidays. Every year, putting up the lights and decorations is one of the highlights of the season.

This year, however, decorating was almost painful. This is the first year Hernandez's son, Martin Hernandez, will not spend Christmas with his family in Napa. He is serving in Iraq.

"It's hard, you want to celebrate and decorate, but it's not the same," Hernandez said as tears welled up in her eyes.

Even Thanksgiving lost its feeling. "I just felt like I was cooking dinner," she said, crying.

For military families like the Hernandez's, a holiday during wartime is hard to celebrate. For some, traditions are lost and the negative emotion outweighs the holiday cheer.

As a sampling of what military families go through this time of the year, three local military families shared their experiences, concerns and frustrations.

The Clift Family

DVDs, a caroling plush dog, T-shirts, and Pez candy were among the items chosen to go into Marine Corps Cpl. Sean Louthan's Christmas care package. His mother, Carla Clift of Napa, sends a package to him at least once a week. Inside are small gifts for her son, his comrades and the Iraqi children.

"I send packages to make his Christmas not so bad," Clift said. "I send the kind of stuff to remind (the Marines) that they're human."

Louthan is on his second deployment in Iraq and has been there since October. This is the second time he's missed Christmas with his family, but his mother is hoping to at least speak with him today.

"Traditions don't change when he's gone, we're just worried all the time," Clift said. "We have our fingers crossed he won't have to go back a third time."

Louthan, 22, has been in the Marines for four years. He works in intelligence, performs computer repairs, and works in helicopters, Clift said. He is expected to return in February.

"Sean believes in his job and being (in Iraq) ... and he said he joined the Marines because it's (his) duty," Clift said.

His grandmother, Donna Clift-Anderson, a Korean War veteran, proudly wears a button with Louthan's photo every day.

"Patriotism is in the family," she said.

She, too, constantly worries about her grandson.

"I get chills thinking of all our kids (in Iraq)," Cliff-Anderson said.

Like many military families, the Clifts try to avoid watching the news. Clift said during her son's first deployment to Iraq she constantly watched the news, nearly frightening herself with updates.

"He could be in a helicopter. I don't like to hear the news, I stay away from it," Clift said.

With Louthan's second deployment, Clift and her family have learned to deal with his absence better. But every day is still an emotional struggle.

"I try to be better about it, lately I've been depressed some days," Clift said. "We always spend Christmas together. It's hard when he's not here."

The Honsvick Family

Every Christmas morning, Phillip Searcy and his younger sisters Jessica Searcy and Jenna Honsvick have a fight with the torn pieces of gift wrapping paper. Throwing the colorful scraps and shiny ribbon at each other is a tradition in their north Napa home.

This year, that paper fight won't happen.

Phillip Searcy, 20, a private first class in the Army, is serving in Iraq. This is Searcy's first Christmas away from home.

"He's been really depressed lately, and given us one-word answers," Vivian Honsvick, Searcy's mother, said.

To unite him with the family today, Vivian Honsvick will use Yahoo Messenger and her web camera so he can see and speak to the family as they open gifts.

"This is the goal, but ... we hope that they won't be out on a mission Christmas day," Vivian Honsvick said. "The war doesn't stop for the holidays."

Phillip Searcy's mother also sent him a Christmas care package including a small Christmas tree, lights, ornaments and tree toppers so he can decorate his room.

During the family's Christmas dinner tonight, an empty plate will be set in his honor.

Phillip Searcy left for Iraq in October and is a sniper. His mother says his current deployment could be extended for two years.

His sisters claim that he has always been a good shooter, and say their pellet wounds can testify to that.

"He was pro before he went (into the Army)," Jessica Searcy, 19, said laughing.

Being an expert shot runs in the family: Phillip Searcy's father was an expert shot, too. Although his family has confidence in Phillip and his skills, the worry and anxiety is inevitable.

"(What) scares me are the (improvised explosive devices), those are the things that frighten me," Vivian Honsvick said with a blank stare. "I have every confidence he can survive, it's just for those things."

The Hernandez Family

Denise Hernandez is no longer eating candy.

Renee Hernandez gave up soda.

In their eyes, it's a small sacrifice compared to what their son and brother, Martin Hernandez, is doing for them and the nation.

Not until he returns will they allow themselves to enjoy their favorite foods.

Martin Hernandez, 20, a private second class in the Army, is in Iraq. He is expected home late in 2007, but the Army may extend his deployment.

Martin Hernandez drives and maintain tanks.

His wife and young daughter are awaiting his return in Texas. His mother, father and siblings are in Napa, anxiously counting down the months.

"It's hard, (news of Iraq) is everywhere ... he's already been shot at," Renee Hernandez, 23, said solemnly.

Renee and Denise Hernandez describe Martin Hernandez as a generous and caring person, as someone who "always has a smile on his face."

Martin Hernandez even asked his family what they want for Christmas so he can ship them gifts.

"Even though he's in a bad situation he's thinking about everybody else," Denise Hernandez said.

Joining the Army was something Martin Hernandez has wanted to do since he was 10, and he enlisted as soon as he turned 18. This is his first deployment to Iraq, and the obligation has taken a toll on everyone in his family.

Denise Hernandez said bursting into tears at any given moment is common. His sister Renee Hernandez is content without cable television, because it would only scare her with scenes of the violence where her brother is.

For the Hernandez family, fear of the Iraq war lies not only in the potential physical effects, but in the effects it could have on Martin Hernandez's joyful personality.

"I hope he comes back the same, I hope (the war) doesn't ruin who he is," Denise Hernandez said in tears.

Denise Hernandez also said other family members are now more emotional than before.

"It's really hard," she said. "We're trying to make the best of it ... but if I could skip this year I'd skip the whole thing ... I just don't feel like (Christmas) is in my heart like it usually is."

Ellie