PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas in Iraq

thedrifter
12-25-06, 08:03 AM
A Christmas in Iraq
By Lt. Col. Dan Ermer
Editor’s Note: The following is a letter from Lt. Col. Dan Ermer, a Rockwell native who is also a Marine stationed in Iraq this Christmas. The letter is to his family and friends.

Ermer and his family agreed to share the letter with the entire North Iowa community.

To my friends and family,

Merry Christmas to you all ... I can truly tell you from the bottom of my heart, that I wish I was home with you all this year. More than ever, this being the second year in a row.

Nevertheless, duty called upon me, so I once again marched towards the sound of the guns in response. This Christmas letter is a small token of my appreciation for the many thoughts, prayers, emails, cards, letters, packages, and love extended to me while deployed back in Iraq.

A Christmas in Iraq

As I ponder the meaning behind this holiday season, a recent event comes to mind that clearly represents the true meaning and spirit of Christmas here in Al Taqaddum, Iraq. It was a Monday night and the squadron was preparing for another outside-the-wire mission.

The mission for this night was a retrograde convoy, one where we would be executing the return of our engineers (personnel and equipment), who were out constructing a helicopter landing zone and making improvements at a observation post (OP) for one of the many units that we support.

It is no secret that our enemy has limitations when operating at night, so we frequently operate during these periods of darkness to take advantage of lower enemy activity.

However, on this particular December night the moon was high and full — allowing our adversaries the ability to see our movements. For this reason I was particularly on edge.

Like any other mission, we began our evening with precombat checks and inspections. We go through everything by the numbers, including cleaning weapons, loading gear, wiping down windows, checking fluid levels, staging vehicles and conducting communications checks on the radios.

Once finished, all personnel, about 60 in all, began forming up in our “ready-room” to receive a convoy brief prior to crossing the line of departure. At precisely 2200 hrs (10 p. m. for you non-military types) the convoy brief commenced. There is always a certain level of uneasiness in the air prior to a mission and on this night that was especially true.

Don’t get me wrong — having fear (respect) for one’s enemy is good thing. The fact that one puts his or her own existence on the line for a higher cause definitely quickens your soul — makes you feel more alive than say, sitting in front of the TV eating Cheetos while your favorite NASCAR Driver wins the Nextel Cup Championship.

In looking around the ready room, the area screamed volumes to the embodiment of our Marine core values: honor, courage, commitment. Every Marine and sailor was attentive, listening diligently, taking notes, absorbing all that the squadron intelligence officer and convoy commander were conveying.

Everyone’s “game face” was on. I couldn’t help but think, what professionals; what warriors. I couldn't help but be proud.

As the convoy brief concluded, our C Lt. Jay Plumber took center stage as he always does before each mission. He asked all those in the room, “Reach over and place your hands on the shoulder of the Marine or Sailor next to you as I pray.” The room did as requested and then instinctively we all bowed our heads in prayer.

Witnessing this scene several times, I was compelled to take a picture as our Chaplain spoke these words: “That hand on your shoulder represents God’s presence wherever you go. If you don’t believe in God then believe in that Marine or sailor because he or she could save your life.

The Lord be with you.”

Room’s Response: “And also with you.

“Let us pray:

“Almighty God, You called these warriors to defend our nation’s freedom and to bring freedom and democracy to this country — bless them now as they go outside the wire and into harm’s way, provide them a hedge of your protection, stand between them and harm, bless their families back home and then bring them back here safely so we can go home together. “Let all Marines and Sailors say . . .”

Room’s Response: “Amen!”

At that particular moment, I was immediately humbled by our Lord’s promise that we would never be left alone or forsaken.

You have God’s promise of that, too. Know that your Marines and sailors are not truly yours, rather on loan to you — for we are God’s warriors first.

And in that, He is present among His band of brothers and sisters, who not only protect our nation, but who serve to protect one another as well. Know that He instills in His warriors selflessness, responsibility, and forges in them His spirit of eternal life. Know that your warrior is called to do this duty, commissioned to be steadfast, and devoted in purpose to one another as Christ is committed perfectly to each of us. Christmas is a time to remember the birth of Christ and the purpose of his coming — to fulfill his selfless sacrifice — the perfect gift for all mankind.

Merry Christmas to you all . . . may you be in His peace this season. I love and miss you all,

Dan

Editor’s note:

A photo of Marines praying (which could not be reproduced) was included in Ermer’s letter. In a follow up letter, he informed his parents that three of the Marines had been killed.

Ellie