PDA

View Full Version : Mailbag readers brought homemade ice cream to soldiers in Iraq

thedrifter
12-24-06, 07:42 AM
Article published Dec 24, 2006
Chris' Mailbag
Mailbag readers brought homemade ice cream to soldiers in Iraq

Mailbag readers brought homemade ice cream to soldiers in Iraq

It’s Christmas Eve! Shopping is done, presents are wrapped and cards are in the mail! For soldiers serving in distant lands, these beloved tasks stir up memories and longings for home.

The Mailbag usually reserves updates for ending the column, but this response deserves special recognition because it reflects the true spirit of the holiday season and the joy of giving to others:

Thanks for special treat

“Last summer, the residents of Laurel Place Assisted Living adopted a soldier in Iraq as a pen pal,” writes Laurel Center activity director Barbara M. of Hudson (LTR 1,869). “He wrote us requesting an old-fashioned ice cream maker for the troops. We turned to The Telegraph, and Chris’ Mailbag found us several makers. We finally heard back from our Marine and wanted to share his letter.”
Terry, the Marine, wrote, “Aloha to you and all the gang. . . . I received an ice cream maker. I made 66 gallons of ice cream the last few months in Iraq and shared with as many people as I could find. The Marines at the chow hall were more than happy to donate supplies to make it, since they got some, too. What a story to tell about serving in 130-degree heat during a war and eating homemade ice cream.

“I thank you all on the Marines’ behalf. We finally made it back to Hawaii. As for my unit, we will be heading back in October. The ice cream maker stayed with my replacement; he will leave it with his replacement, and I will pick it up again next fall.”
That made my day!

Ellie