PDA

View Full Version : Mays Landing mom proud to see Marine son in paper

thedrifter
12-24-06, 07:34 AM
Mays Landing mom proud to see Marine son in paper
‘I'd kind of like it to see his face when you see all the other soldiers, in line getting turkey.'
By LYNDA COHEN Staff Writer, (609) 272-7257
Published: Sunday, December 24, 2006

It was a bittersweet moment.

Kathy Doerr opened an e-mail with a picture from one of the Marine mothers she connects with over the Internet. There were two photos taken when the platoon's commander, Lt. Samuel Joiner, was injured Dec. 7 by an improvised explosive device in Anah, near Iraq's volatile Anbar province.

Doerr knows Joiner is her son's commander, so she took a closer look at the photos. There he was: Lance Cpl. Joseph Doerr, 20, on the far right, walking with his injured leader.

“It was nice to see his face,” said Doerr, who lives in Mays Landing. “But it didn't feel good to see that he was standing there where an IED just went off. I'd kind of like to see his face when you see all the other soldiers, in line getting turkey. I'd like to see his face in person.”

The picture came just as she had gone five weeks without hearing from her son. The Marines don't have a base with e-mail access, so Doerr has relied on satellite calls every two weeks.

Ellie