PDA

View Full Version : Family united: Being home for Christmas; A happy holiday homecoming

thedrifter
12-24-06, 07:20 AM
Family united: Being home for Christmas; A happy holiday homecoming
By Lorna Jablonski, Okeechobee News

There is an advertisement that states "Join the Navy and see the world."

In the case of Marine Sergeant David Harvey, Jr., his career has revised the saying to read, "Join the Marines and be a part of the world."

Sgt. Harvey joined the Marines in 1999 right after graduation from Okeechobee High School and has been to more exotic places in seven years than most of us will even dream of in our lifetimes.

He spent nearly two years as a member of the Marine honor guard keeping watch over dignitaries and statesmen in Washington, D.C.

He's guarded the American Embassy in Kuwait.

He's marched through the jungles of Guam and strolled on the beaches of the Tinian and Mariana Islands, as well as those of the Bahamas and California.

He's walked in the footsteps of past soldiers including his own father, David Harvey, Sr. in places like Saipan, the Philippines, Korea and Japan.

He's assisted in rescue operations following the mudslides in Thailand.

"I don't like to stay in one spot too long," explained Sgt. Harvey. "I get bored."

He did state that his favorite two places are the Bahamas and Guam.

"Their beaches are really clean and beautiful," said Sgt. Harvey.

But, with the holiday season here, the lure of home was too great for Sgt. Harvey to ignore and home he returned to Buckhead Ridge and his waiting family and friends.

"He's been to a lot of places," said his father, Mr. Harvey. "Sometimes it's hard to keep up with him."

But, this is the life that Sgt. Harvey dreamed of as a boy. From the time he was 7-years old all he talked about was becoming a Marine.

"He would put on his uniform and climb into the trees," smiled Mr. Harvey.

Sgt. Harvey wanted to be a Marine so badly that he enlisted as a junior at Okeechobee High School in a deferred enlistment program. He worked to be in shape for the day he would formally become a Marine. He put his concentration and energy into the Brahman wrestling team. His leadership qualities became apparent when he was selected to be the team's captain for two years. He worked hard, was focused and became a force to be dealt with on the team. His dedication earned him a trip to the state championship in both his junior and senior year.

"He was a kid who just wanted to be a Marine," stated Brahman wrestling coach Bruce Jahner. "He was dedicated as a wrestler and his dedication to the Marines continued as he moved up through the ranks."

Many colleges and universities began to watch Sgt. Harvey, but he remained true to his first love - the Marines.

Sgt. Harvey's boyhood dream finally came true the day after he graduated from high school and stepped onto the pavement at Paris Island, S.C.

"David is a wonderful person and I'm proud to have coached him at O.H.S. and befriended him. I love to hear some of the stories he has to tell," said coach Jahner. "It's a great feeling to see him when he comes through town and to hear from him as he travels around the world."

When Sgt. Harvey returns to California to rejoin his battalion, he will continue to prepare for his next assignment-Iraq.

"I extended my tour to go to Iraq," explained Sgt. Harvey. "I will formally re-enlist once I'm in Iraq."

But, until then, Sgt. Harvey, his family and friends are catching up and enjoying their time together during this holiday season. Welcome home, Sgt. Harvey.

Ellie