View Full Version : PC Alive And Well In Gulf

GyG1345
01-30-03, 08:51 AM
The New York Times
January 30, 2003
Anger Management Keeps Lid on Marines in Gulf
By REUTERS

Filed at 4:51 a.m. ET

ABOARD USS TORTUGA (Reuters) - Stuck on a ship for five months in the Arabian Gulf, some Marines and sailors aboard the USS Tortuga are taking anger management classes to help them deal positively with the frustrations of daily life at sea.

Life is not easy for the enlisted men and women on the Tortuga, who like much of the world are waiting to see if U.S. President George Bush will launch a war against Iraq over its alleged weapons of mass destruction.

The vessel is part of a three-ship amphibious readiness group carrying around 2,300 Marines and 2,000 sailors. The only space they can call their own is a narrow bunk with around 18 inches of headroom and a curtain to shut out the world.

``I went through a few jobs because I couldn't stand the people I worked with so I just quit. But you can't quit this job,'' said Marine Corporal Eric Zaleski, 22, from North Carolina, one of a handful of people at Wednesday's anger class.

``It happens a lot, especially on a ship. You've got so many people in one little area.''

Lieutenant Samuel Ravelo, the Tortuga's chaplain who is leading the anger management class, says anger is not negative -- especially for those going to fight for their country.

``There are times when it's wrong not to be angry,'' he tells the class.

``I think Bush is angry about Iraq,'' Ravelo says after the class. ``The issue is not being angry, the issue is how you handle being angry.''

The Marines on the Tortuga, the USS Nassau and the USS Austin could be the first to be called upon if there is a war and the Marines are sent to capture an airfield, a port or some other strategic position. Meanwhile there is a lot of waiting around. There are only so many times they can clean their guns.

Ravelo says there are around 20 regulars at his anger management classes which he holds two days a week. The Tortuga has a total of around 800 people on board.

``Some are directed by their commanding officer to come but most are volunteers,'' he says.

Tyrell, a cook in the ship's kitchens, has been asked to attend six classes. ``I got in a bit of trouble two days ago,'' he says, declining to go into detail beyond admitting that the incident involved boiling water. ``Somebody was running his mouth off like he always does and I said hell with this,'' he says.

The Chaplain discusses five responses to anger -- suppression, open aggression, passive aggression, assertive anger and dropping your anger. Some in the class are reluctant to join the discussion but one sailor is happy to talk about his experiences over the past week and one occasion in particular.

``I had to make a choice either to react and get mad and angry and we'd have had two bulls banging heads, or to leave it alone and step back,'' the sailor says.

He stepped back and says it all turned out to be a misunderstanding.

The Chaplain says the key is learning to forgive and to love.

``I always say some people do not deserve to be forgiven but you deserve to forgive because if you don't forgive you are the one who carries the burden,'' he tells the class. ``Love and forgiveness, the best cure for anger.''

But he is not trying to rid the Marines of anger.

``I would think if you're going to fight and you're not angry about what they're doing, I don't think you're going to be able to win the war.''

Copyright 2003 Reuters Ltd. | Privacy Policy