PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Jumpin Jarheads

jinelson
12-23-06, 09:11 PM
1st Recon Marines take new C-130 for a little trip

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/news04-1.jpg

Cpl. George Hruby A jump master with 1st Reconnaissance Battalion watches as Marines conduct static line jumps from a KC-130J Hercules Dec. 15 above the Combat Center.

Cpl. George Hruby

1st Reconnaissance Battalion

Taking leaps few others in the world have the courage to take, the Marines of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion, conducted parachute training in the skies above Marine Air Ground Combat Center 29 Palms, Dec. 15.

After loading onboard a KC-130J Hercules from Marine Aerial/Ground Refueler Squadron 352 at sunset at Palm Springs International Airport, Recon Marines flew over the Combat Center to make night jumps into the black abyss below, conducting static line jumps from 2,000 feet and military free fall jumps from 10,000 feet.

“Standing on the ramp it was really cold at 30 degrees, but as soon as I jumped out of the aircraft it wasn’t cold anymore because my adrenaline shot up,” said Staff Sgt. Daniel G. Middleton, a military free faller. According to Middleton falling through the air was surreal because the valley below was black but they could still see the fading sunlight over the hills.

Keeping safety first, Recon jump masters, and the airborne commander, conducted multiple jumper personal inspections of equipment and had the Marines practice Parachute Landing Falls before loading the aircraft. The SF-10 parachute is used for static line jumps and is difficult to steer during landing, requiring jumpers to keep their feet and knees together to avoid injury, and to place their arms in front of their face.

Some hazards to military free fall parachutist are unseen dangers like poles, power lines and other jumpers. Jumping without night vision goggles, Recon Marines landed without any problems, due to the jump masters ensuring all safety rules were followed and the landing area was clearly marked with chem lights.

The term static line means the main parachute is opened automatically by a line connecting the parachute to the airplane. With free fall parachutes, the jumper is not connected to the plane and opens their own parachute as well as steers the canopy by means of two toggles, one on the left and one on the right to allow the parachute to turn.

According to Master Sgt. Keith G. Blucher who was the senor enlisted crewman and load master of the KC-130J Hercules that night, Recon is very professional, and the mission was a great success, as a result of a good working relationship between the two units.

On its third flight since being built, this particular KC-130J Hercules had never been utilized in this kind of mission before. Recon had the opportunity to christen the Hercules first jump run.

Upon conclusion of the jump, several Marines with the battalion earned their gold jump wings, which are earned after a Marine has completed a combination of 10 jumps, five in jump school and five in their unit, each set of five jumps consist of one jump without a combat load, two day jumps with a combat load, and two night jumps with a combat load. A combat load refers to having a pack hooked into the harness in front of the upper thigh.

It takes great courage to jump off the ramp of the aircraft, it takes good judgment to land where your suppose to, and it takes experienced jump masters to have everyone walk away unharmed, as the load master of the KC-130J said the mission was a great success

Soon2BeVIP
12-23-06, 09:38 PM
Awesome article.

So uhh....Sweet Jumpin Jarheads...I like it...I think that's going to be my new catchphrase...I'm going to use it when I open my first Christmas present:banana: ...test it out on my parents lol

jackson07
12-23-06, 10:45 PM
Good story Staff Sergeant. Thank you for sharing.