PDA

View Full Version : The Christmas truce of the Great War in 1914

10thzodiac
12-23-06, 08:09 PM
http://www.rense.com/general46/cchr.htm

drumcorpssnare
12-26-06, 09:44 AM
10thz- I remember seeing a rather grainy photo of British 'Tommies' playing football (soccer) with 'the Hun' on Christmas of 1917.
Interviewed a WW I vet back around 1995 who had just turned 100 yrs. old, and was blind. He got around his house better than I could! He was very sharp, mentally, for his advanced age. He quoted places, dates, and even units and their commanders on the video tape. So, I researched some of his details, and was amazed to find his memory completely accurate!
He also mentioned a 'tea shortage' that angered the Brits to the point of near-mutiny. So, he said the 'Yanks' traded some of their tea in exchange for British tobacco, and everyone was happy.

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

10thzodiac
12-26-06, 10:09 PM
10thz- I remember seeing a rather grainy photo of British 'Tommies' playing football (soccer) with 'the Hun' on Christmas of 1917.
Interviewed a WW I vet back around 1995 who had just turned 100 yrs. old, and was blind. He got around his house better than I could! He was very sharp, mentally, for his advanced age. He quoted places, dates, and even units and their commanders on the video tape. So, I researched some of his details, and was amazed to find his memory completely accurate!
He also mentioned a 'tea shortage' that angered the Brits to the point of near-mutiny. So, he said the 'Yanks' traded some of their tea in exchange for British tobacco, and everyone was happy.

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

After your post I read some of my grandfathers 1918 WW I letters from France to my grandmother. He was telling her how he made friends with several Scotch Lads & Canadians and telling them what a great place the USA was.

Then when he was hospitalized with a dose of mustard gas he received at the front. How he wanted to see his son that he never saw, saying, "I never will make a soldier out of him and when he walks will never let him start with his left foot."

Shell Shocked (PTSD), Suicide, Great Lakes Naval Hospital, Illinois