PDA

View Full Version : Marine tells students about tours in Iraq

thedrifter
12-23-06, 08:04 AM
Marine tells students about tours in Iraq
By Caroline An Staff Writer
San Gabriel Valley Tribune

SOUTH EL MONTE - Lance Cpl. Jose Diego completed two tours in Iraq, but a group of sixth-graders at Monte Vista Elementary school Friday made him nervous as he spoke about his experiences.

A Marine for three years, the 21-year-old's miliary career included a stint in Fallujah. He compared his role to a police officer - which he wants to be after he's released from the Marines in July.

"Jose is my hero," said Andrew Escalera. "I just want him to know that I'm here for him."

Diego attended his 11-year-old brother-in-law's "show and tell" segment.

Most Iraqi civilians appreciated the soldiers' presence, Diego said, but others weren't as happy.

The South El Monte native encouraged the students in Melissa Montellano's class to stay in school, lead a drug-free life and get good grades.

"I had to take a test when I wanted to be a Marine," he said. "It's important to study hard."

After answering questions about boot camp - "the training is tough but not impossible," - and what does he do in his free time, he read "Frosty's New Friends" aloud to the class.

"I think military officers are really courageous," said Jeniffer Flores-Luna, a six-grader. "A lot of people have lost their lives and I'm grateful to them."

Diego was spending his first Christmas at home with his wife, Alexis. The couple live at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms. They have been married for nearly six months and are expecting their first child in February.

"It's a boy," said Alexis Diego said. "We're very excited."

Last year, he spent the holiday in Iraq on his second tour of duty. He could be called to serve again and he's worried about his new family.

"I was single and I had only myself to worry about," he said.

While the country remains divided over the war, Diego said he is committed to his job and is prepared to fight again. While the war is unpopular with some, he has received only gratitude and good wishes from people.

"I was never scared when I was in Iraq," Diego said. "It was more of Adrenaline rush. I was happy to serve our country."

caroline.an@sgvn.com

(626) 962-8811, Ext. 2108

Ellie