PDA

View Full Version : Haircuts make a buzz with Marines

thedrifter
12-23-06, 08:00 AM
Haircuts make a buzz with Marines

by Lance Cpl. Erik Villagran

A plastic bucket, a makeshift cape wrapped around a neck and a whole lot of trust makes for a recipe that means only one thing at this outpost here.

Time for haircuts.

Marines from Weapons Company, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, serving with Regimental Combat Team 5, felt it was time for a long overdue haircut. With no barbershop around, Marines went to work cutting one another's hair.

"Whenever we get a chance to get haircuts, we take it," said Lance Cpl. Ladon A. Williams, a 19-year-old rifleman from Yuma, Ariz. "We have a couple of guys in the company that know how to cut hair."

The haircuts began when Marines found time before a brief to whip out the company clippers and give their buddies a fade. Grimy hands went to work adjusting the clippers and Marines smiled nervously as they received their cuts.

"Someone busts out clippers, and Marines jump in line to get their haircuts," said Lance Cpl. Marco A. Pujada, a 25-year-old mortarman from Clifton, N.J. "We tell the barber what we want, and he does his best to make it look good."

Marines and sailors alike get up from the bucket they were sitting on with a different style of hair. Some like to go with a low or medium regulation haircut, while others go with high-and-tights, and occasionally someone gets a "horseshoe."

"The haircut someone gets depends on their personality," Williams said. "Some like to go completely bald, while some go with the motivating horseshoe."

The occasion drew smiles, laughs and compliments from Marines watching and waiting for their turn. The smell of hot chow, body odor and cigarette smoke filled the air. The event got Marines out of their racks for a quick trim from the best barber in the company.

"I've been cutting hair for a year and a half," said Lance Cpl. Jose A. Carhuayo, a 21-year-old assaultman from Newark, N.J. "I learned on ship during my last deployment."

Carhuayo took requests from every Marine who sat on the bucket and put his skills to work. When they got up, they were all satisfied with their new "doo."

Ellie