PDA

View Full Version : My Christmas wish

mrbsox
12-22-06, 09:34 AM
I've started maintaining a 'comm link' to a SSgt and his men in the sandbox. This time of year always cranks up memories of those Christmas's away from home. I put together this little piece that I call

A Christmas so far from home

Many, many moons ago as a young Lance Corporal in the U.S. Marine Corps, I had the fortunate opportunity to stand the 0400 to 0800 quarter deck watch.

Now, let me expand on this a little. Standing on an open weather deck of a war ship, tied up to the pier at four o-clock on Christmas morning, in Naples Italy. Your mind finds things to think about, just to stay warm. There was the occasional Sailor or Marine returning from liberty, trying their best not to look too drunk. And of course we had to hassle them just a little, to have something to do.

The sun finally starts to peek over the hills of that far away land, and turned the landscape a crimson gold. A view of beauty that cannot be described, but must be experienced. And, it started to snow. Just a little flurry here and there, but enough to give this lonesome soul a white Christmas, so far from home.

Now this was way before Jack Nicholson ripped Tom Cruise a new one in “A FEW GOOD MEN”. This was long before I knew about George Orwell, or about ‘people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because young men stand ready to do violence on their behalf’.

But it was a realization for ME. It was a moment of growth in my trip from child, to adolescent, to young man, to member of society. It was a moment I have never forgotten, and not because it was so cold. It was a revelation to my very being.

Because I knew then and there, in that glorious moment of God given snow, that I was doing what had to be done. My life had purpose. What had been done before me, and is still being done today. Young men and women of this country are standing that wall, manning that post, that I and may family can enjoy our Christmas. We can enjoy the tree and presents and coffee and fellowship and family and kids smiling and….
… and the celebration of the greatest gift of all, the birth of the Christ child.

So this Christmas, I ask only that you remember the BRAVE, that keep the home FREE.
Remember their loneliness.
Remember their sacrifices.
And remember their families that miss them, as much as they miss being home at this special time of year.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas.

And may you one day experience that view that cannot be described, and may your life have meaning.

Terry Bowersox
Veteran; U.S.M.C. :flag:

thedrifter
12-22-06, 09:44 AM
Outstanding Post!

Merry Christmas Terry!

Ellie

The1stSgt
12-22-06, 10:19 AM
That was excellent!

"Merry CHRISTmas"

tessnovia
12-22-06, 12:28 PM
My Prayers are with all my brothers and their families at the season. Semper Fi!

yellowwing
12-22-06, 04:39 PM
To all all our Brothers an Sisters doing thier job, Merry Christmas!

Semper Fi