PDA

View Full Version : Kubasaki JROTC cadets one-up Marine shooters

thedrifter
12-22-06, 07:07 AM
CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa (Dec 22, 2006) -- Cadets with Kubasaki High School's Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps crushed Marines with Combat Logistics Regiment 35, 3rd Marine Logistics Group, during a rifle competition at the Kubasaki gym on Camp Foster Dec. 16.

The cadets put up a shooting average of 172 to the Marines' 132. The points were out of a possible 300.

It was the cadets' second time defeating a team of Marines. In 2004, they pounded Marines with Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 36. The odds were against the Marines on both occasions, according to retired Capt. Kenneth Gipson, the JROTC's senior Marine instructor.

While Marines are accustomed to shooting the M-16 A2 service rifle, the competition was held using the cadets' weapon of choice, the Daisy 852 air rifle. Unlike the M-16 the Daisy rifles are light and fire .177 caliber pellets.

Cadets also practiced marksmanship with the Daisy rifles twice a week for at least two hours after school since October. The Marines had never practiced with the rifles before the competition.

It was Cadet Gunnery Sgt. Nathan A. C. Taag who secured the victory for his team with the high score of 240.

Marine high shooter 1st Sgt. John C. Lightle, the first sergeant for Motor Transportation Maintenance Company, CLR-35, fell short of marksman with a score of 185.

"These kids definitely have the advantage," said Sgt. Gabriel M. Canady, a combat marksmanship instructor with CLR-35. "Consistency is the key to marksmanship, and none of us have ever fired this weapon."

That was a fact that the cadets knew, and it motivated them through the event, Gipson said.

"I'm not really worried about the competition," said Cadet Sgt. Maj. Lilia Alanis. "They're just Marines. Everyone thinks they shoot well, but I've shot against them before."

The majority of the Marines the cadets competed against were second or third award expert riflemen, and many of them were combat marksmanship coaches and instructors.

The participants shot at triangulation targets, 12 small targets on a single sheet of paper. Each target could only be hit once, and the two center targets awarded no points, which put the odds in the cadets' favor because Marines don't normally change targets when qualifying with a rifle. Shooters fired in the standing, kneeling and prone positions.

"Firing (the Daisy rifle) is way different than firing an M-16," said Lance Cpl. Michael M. Jackson, an organizational automotive mechanic with CLR-35. "It's much lighter, and I keep expecting more recoil. All I end up doing is jerking the weapon because I'm holding it so tight."

The cadets started strong during the first relay, but it was Taag who secured the Cadets' victory during the second relay. He was the only one in the tournament to be an expert shooter.

"We used everything we had to our advantage, but the Marines will have their day," Gipson said.

The competitors have scheduled a rematch, but this time it will be on the Marines' turf. The teams will face off in February at Camp Hansen and will be firing M-16 A2 service rifles.

"I think we should do these competitions more often," said Sgt. Maj. Warren C. Lewis, the CLR-35 sergeant major. "This is a great opportunity to help build camaraderie and teach these kids some basic skills. After all, they are the future of the Corps."

The cadets are always looking for a challenge. If any unit is interested in competing against them, they can call Gipson at 645-7574.

Ellie