PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in Gratitude Learned in Iraq

thedrifter
12-21-06, 08:37 PM
Lessons in Gratitude Learned in Iraq
A Marine pilot who spent last year with his platoon in Iraq writes about his lessons in gratitude.
WEB-EXCLUSIVE COMMENTARY
By Mitchell Bell
Special to Newsweek
Updated: 10:33 a.m. CT Dec 21, 2006

Dec. 21, 2006 - At age 40, Mitchell Bell left a wife, two young daughters and a comfortable job as an American Airlines pilot to reenlist in the Marines and go to Iraq. He spent last Christmas helping to manage an airbase in the Anbar province. This year he'll be with his wife and children in Texas. He reflects on the holidays and the men and women still serving overseas.

Last Christmas, I was sitting in a Marine Corps chow hall in the middle of the Anbar province, looking at a giant sculpture of the Virgin Mary and a dark-skinned Santa Claus who seemed to resemble our short Indian cook. It was a great attempt to make you feel good during a time when you knew your loved ones would be gathering together for a nice meal, presents around the tree, without you. As we sat down to eat dinner, Iraq was passing into the evening, and the sun was starting its slow march over the horizon to wake America. I was with my friends, my "other family," 7,000 miles from home, fighting a war that the average person will never understand, and wishing I were home.

For an instant, as we sat down to give thanks for our meal, time stood still, and the fear that there would be a rocket attack was gone. I sat on my plastic seat, a tray full of turkey and dressing made by the cooks who accented it with Indian spices, and I only thought about my family and friends still fast asleep in bed. Looking at the hundreds of young men and women around me as they bowed their heads to pray before their meal, I realized that they were thinking of their families, too, as they sat there with an M-16 machine gun strapped across their backs, heads bowed, lips moving. They say that there are no atheists in combat, and I believed it as I watched them.

What are you thankful for? I'm thankful that I was able to serve our country, that I have a wife who would let me go back into the Marines knowing I would go to war, that I have two children who love their daddy and parents who support their son through thick and thin. Most of all, I'm thankful for the loyal corps of supporters I made friends with through AnySoldier.com, the military support Web site that kept us connected to home and to the people, strangers, who sent letters and packages.

As I type this here in Arlington, Texas, I'm thankful that there are young men and women in our country, who, even knowing all the dangers that military life involves, still choose to join the service with such a high chance of going to combat. They aren't drafted; they, of their own volition, raised their right hand and took an oath to serve. They are my heroes who have accomplished more in their lives then many Americans can dream of.

I'm thankful that we have brave men and women working 24/7 in harm's way with very little rest, and I'd be extremely thankful if I could say to my fellow Americans, no matter your politics or views on the war in Iraq, that you put your feelings aside while our troops are in a war zone. After going there, I believe we are fighting a group of Muslim extremists who hate us no matter what we do or whom we support. And I don't think that comes out in the media. So for the sake of your neighbor's son or daughter, who is far away from home, please take the time to go to one of the military-support Web sites, to their letter-writing team to thank them for being there for us.

And to all the men and women of every branch who are in harm's way, I will pray for your safe return, as we bow our heads here over our holiday dinner here in America. You are the only true heroes this country has right now. When the job is over and we leave, I pray that maybe we touched one Iraqi life, and gave him the taste of our freedom that all citizens of the United States enjoy.

Merry Christmas to all of our marines, troops, airmen and sailors deployed—God Bless you! Semper Fi.

Ellie