PDA

View Full Version : Sailors Earn Coveted Fleet Marine Force Pin

thedrifter
12-21-06, 08:00 PM
Sailors Earn Coveted Fleet Marine Force Pin

by Lance Cpl. Stephen McGinnis

Three Navy hospital corpsmen attached to 1st Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment were awarded the Fleet Marine Force pin Dec. 13.

The battalion is currently conducting combat operations in direct support of Regimental Combat Team 5 in the Al Anbar Province, Iraq.

Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Allen D. Miller, a 41-year-old from Perrysburg, Ohio, Petty Officer 1st Class Chad L. Teurman, a 31-year-old hospital corpsman from Detroit, Mich., and Seaman Vincent R. Jordan, a 21-year-old hospital corpsman from Riverdale, Ill., earned their FMF pins while deployed in a combat zone.

"We have a profound respect for our corpsmen because they take care of us to keep us in the fight; we would significantly suffer without our corpsmen," said Lt. Col. Harold Van Opdorp, a 39-year-old battalion commander from Stafford Va. "I can't say enough about these guys and their dedication.

Sailors are required to pass both a written and oral examination covering Marine weapons, tactics, vehicles and history as part of the test to earn the badge.

"These sailors had to do things Marines do and to learn about our history that we were taught in boot camp," said Sgt. Maj. Joseph J. Leshinsky, a 44-year-old battalion sergeant major from Buffalo, N.Y. "I ask that each and every one of us that wears the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor to take the time out to learn about what these gentlemen do."

The corpsmen wanted to prove to Marines that they were not only just dedicated to providing medical attention during combat, but were committed to learning what it meant to be a Marine.

"It's really important," Miller said. "The battalion commander put it greatly. It's about commitment. I wanted to show the Marines how committed I am to live and fight along side of them."

Warfare has changed rather significantly over time, and with advanced gear, technology, and tactics, corpsmen have also stepped up their game.

"Times have changed. I can remember when corpsmen were about treatment only, but the battles have changed, and superior fire is the best preventive medicine that we can provide," Teurman said.

The sailors credited a lot of their success to the Marines of 1st Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment for the support they received in earning the FMF pins.

"This is a really important step. The Marines encouraged me and helped me to do this," Miller said. "It was equally important to them as it was to me."

"I had worked on this for a long time," Teurman said. "Everyone in the battalion helped me out to get this award."

The corpsmen follow the same principles of their fellow Marines: every man is a rifleman.

"Every man is a rifleman," Miller explained. "We want the Marines to trust that we know how to handle ourselves in a combat environment."

judythpiazza@gmail.com

Ellie