PDA

View Full Version : GI Bill Kicker

WannabeAT
12-19-06, 08:18 PM
My recruiter wants me to leave early because there is another girl who was supposed to leave, but isn't going to be able to. But they want me to leave the day after Christmas at 3:00 in the morning, so it will be Christmas night/tuesday morning. Anyway, I said I would leave, but I asked if I could get a kicker for the G.I. bill. I was wondering two things. How much are those usually or do they range a lot. (I'm a reservist, so I've been told I'll be getting like $300/month from the G.I. bill, so how much more would a kicker add to this monthly amount)? And two, would this kicker be included in my contract when I go up to MEPS to ship out. If not, how do I get it in writing. I want to make sure. I don't really want to leave that soon, but I will probably anyway, regardless if I get the kicker or not. I just figured I might as well get a little extra college money out of it because I want to finish my degree so I can become an officer.

Marine84
12-20-06, 07:49 AM
what the hell is a kicker?

Camper51
12-20-06, 09:15 AM
Things must have changed a hell of a lot. WTF is a Kicker???

Sounds like someone's smokin' some funny tabakky...

Marine84
12-20-06, 10:12 AM
well then I'm mad cause he ain't sharing

Accord
12-20-06, 10:45 AM
Why don't you just be thankful that you have the opportunity to earn the title of United States Marine, and not worry about some stupid "kicker" and other benefits.

rktect3j
12-20-06, 10:49 AM
There is nothing wrong with maximizing your benifits for the price you will pay to earn the title Marine. The Corps will get theirs, make sure you get yours.

Worsham
12-20-06, 10:51 AM
Have to disagree with you completely Accord. Always be informed and educated regarding any entitlements the goverment or any other business establishment is offering you. Most importantly, if it's not in your contract it's not happenening, no matter what anyone else tells you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-20-06, 12:16 PM
I don't know what a "kicker" is, and haven't ever heard of anyone else talking about it. But, if it is available to you, then make it happen. You're going to be doing your part, and there is nothing wrong with getting the government to give you everything you can get out of them.

WannabeAT
12-20-06, 10:42 PM
Basically, from what I understand, a kicker just basically adds more money onto your G.I. bill. Basically like a bonus, except it's only for college. Accord, I'm not only concerned with the benefits. That's actually the lesser of y concerns. Becoming a Marine is the most important thing for me, but that's not the only thing I'd like to do with my life. I'd also like to continue to attend college. So if I'm able to get extra funding for to achieve this goal, while at the same time become a Marine, I don't see any good reason for me to pass that up.

SkilletsUSMC
12-20-06, 10:48 PM
Basically, from what I understand, a kicker just basically adds more money onto your G.I. bill. Basically like a bonus, except it's only for college. Accord, I'm not only concerned with the benefits. That's actually the lesser of y concerns. Becoming a Marine is the most important thing for me, but that's not the only thing I'd like to do with my life. I'd also like to continue to attend college. So if I'm able to get extra funding for to achieve this goal, while at the same time become a Marine, I don't see any good reason for me to pass that up.

from what I understand the "kicker" adds about (guessing)$5000+ to your GI bill, for about $600 extra on your end. I need to get my kicker in before I EAS.

danielgburgett
12-20-06, 10:57 PM
My recruiter wants me to leave early because there is another girl who was supposed to leave, but isn't going to be able to. But they want me to leave the day after Christmas at 3:00 in the morning, so it will be Christmas night/tuesday morning. Anyway, I said I would leave, but I asked if I could get a kicker for the G.I. bill. I was wondering two things. How much are those usually or do they range a lot. (I'm a reservist, so I've been told I'll be getting like $300/month from the G.I. bill, so how much more would a kicker add to this monthly amount)? And two, would this kicker be included in my contract when I go up to MEPS to ship out. If not, how do I get it in writing. I want to make sure. I don't really want to leave that soon, but I will probably anyway, regardless if I get the kicker or not. I just figured I might as well get a little extra college money out of it because I want to finish my degree so I can become an officer.you need to make sure it is in your contract.

Marine84
12-21-06, 07:43 AM
DANG! And to think they got some of us dumba$$e$ for FREE!

Achped
12-21-06, 08:13 AM
DANG! And to think they got some of us dumba$$e$ for FREE!
Army offered me a 4 year scholarship for ROTC, or a 40,000$ bonus to enlist.

I took the Corps' offer of $0.00, 13 weeks of pure hell followed by 4 years of hell, and a pu*** magnet uniform :)

Marine84
12-21-06, 11:09 AM
40G - are you f'ing kidding me?

SkilletsUSMC
12-21-06, 11:58 AM
you need to make sure it is in your contract.

No you dont. You can add the kicker at anytime.

danielgburgett
12-21-06, 05:57 PM
No you dont. You can add the kicker at anytime.its best to get out of the way now while you just get in and dont hafe to worry about the paperwork later on and while you have the money, sometimes later on you cant afford it

SkilletsUSMC
12-21-06, 06:08 PM
its best to get out of the way now while you just get in and dont hafe to worry about the paperwork later on and while you have the money, sometimes later on you cant afford it

Yes a good Idea, but not nececary to get it before signing up. A better time to get it is before a deployment.

Achped
12-22-06, 08:38 AM

No ma'am, they even asked to talk to my mother when they called and I refused. :D

I was like "No thanks, I'd rather be a Marine." and he said "Well man, I'm sorry you feel that way...is there any way I could talk to your mother about this?"

wtf, lol.

Messenger
12-22-06, 12:47 PM
I am no expert on recruiting enlistment programs currently offered by the Marines or any other branch. It was two decades ago when I was first dealing with recruiters and a lot has changed since then. I normally don’t post anything unless it is directly related to the original post of a thread but after reading this thread I have become concerned with some of the comments I have seen.

You can’t help but take pride in the title of Marine and when you dawn the Eagle Globe and Anchor it will belittle any previous achievements prior to that event. I see that some are indicating that that they are only interested in the Title and in some sense, would forgo financial and other enhancements or benefits just to have the opportunity to acquire the title.

With recent events I have no doubt that many young men and women are compelled to join the Military and fight for their country, flag and beliefs which is an admirable and endearing quality of Americans. Volunteering to serve your nation when and where it needs you the most is a great sacrifice in and of its own and it would be a shame to do it only for a title.

Pride is a good thing but some take it to extremes. Some men in financial hardship would rather deprive their families then ask for welfare when it is warranted. No one likes to ask for help or appear to be greedy but now is the time in your life’s that you need to come to terms and blend pride with common sense. Asking for or holding out for more benefits when dealing with recruiters takes common sense.

A wise young man or woman would study for the ASVAB to ensure they got the highest score they can as it is the deciding factor of where you go and what you do in the military. Your ASVAB score is your strongest negotiation element. Remember that a recruiter is in a way, a salesman and to that end you will find that any business or organization that has a salesman/recruiter also has room for negotiation. Unlike civilian salesman, recruiters don’t work on commissions but they are expected to produce and have options available that they are unlikely to share with those that walk in and say “sign me up I will take anything you have”.

Providing that you have something to negotiate with such as, however not limited to, high ASVAB scores, diploma, higher levels of education and a clean record it is likely that you can negotiate anything from cash enlistment bonuses, accelerated rank programs and even money for school other then the basic enlistment packages.

Remember that you are negotiating a eight year contract and that’s a substantial commitment on your part so be smart about it. For those thinking about the reserves it is important that you understand that it is all to likely that you will be activated and serve as active duty for a period of time during your enlistment and you should take that in to consideration prior to negotiating. Think of it like your applying for a job and try to secure the best pay and benefits package that you can.

Years after I still take great pride in the fact I earned the title of Marine but by its self that title has never made a car payment, paid the rent or mortgage or even put food on the table for my family. I am where I am today because I was able to muster the intestinal fortitude to shop for the best jobs with good benefits and ask for pay raises. If you are hell bent on getting that title there is nothing wrong with that and if you don’t wish to enhance your situation that is fine too but I would ask that you refrain from berating someone that is trying to better them self and or their quality of life.

You owe it to yourself and you owe it to your future to at least try to get something more then a title out of your experiences in the Marines.

Semper Fi !

Marine84
12-22-06, 01:44 PM
I don't think anybody is berating him (them) for getting everything they can - even when I went in (1984) I got 3Gs just for enlisting and a stripe coming out of bootcamp because I had ROTC and a couple of years college under my belt. I wasn't told of this until AFTER I had made the committment to go though - it wasn't used to persuade me to sign up. Nor was I told that I had to wait to get the money (I think it was 3 months after school or 6 months OJT or some trash). I imagine (especially now) that they HAVE to give these kids money (way more than 3Gs) as incentive to get them to sign up. If money had been an incentive for me - hell I would have belonged to the highest bidder (if there had been one).

Accord
12-22-06, 02:20 PM
Many jobs in the army which are "critical" right now are getting ridiculous enlist bonuses up to $50,000. If I enlisted with an Option 40 Ranger contract, I would have gotten a $38,000 bonus.

The army can throw all the money they want in my face, but you can't put a dollar amount on earning the title of United States Marine.

Accord
12-22-06, 02:28 PM
I am joining the Marine Corps during a time of war, and I know that it is almost guaranteed that at some point I will be going to Iraq or another war zone and when I go want to be next to people who WANT to be there, believe in the cause, and believe in what they are doing. I do not want to be next to someone who is there because a recruiter offered him a check for $40,000 dollars.

All the benefits and bonuses in the world won't mean jack sh/t when you're dead because a guy who received a 40k enlistment bonus fell asleep on firewatch because he just doesn't care.

It's like the army is giving a bonus of something like $35k for everyone who enlists to be EOD... most people are going to be enlisting for that job because of the $35k and not because they want to be EOD. That puts everyone in danger, what happens when some guy who doesn't care about his job (EOD) and only took it because he got a big bonus ends up missing an IED in Iraq and then an infantry unit out on a patrol gets hit because some lazy piece of crap who took a big bonus didn't care enough to double check what he was doing.

SkilletsUSMC
12-22-06, 05:14 PM
I am joining the Marine Corps during a time of war, and I know that it is almost guaranteed that at some point I will be going to Iraq or another war zone and when I go want to be next to people who WANT to be there, believe in the cause, and believe in what they are doing. I do not want to be next to someone who is there because a recruiter offered him a check for $40,000 dollars.

All the benefits and bonuses in the world won't mean jack sh/t when you're dead because a guy who received a 40k enlistment bonus fell asleep on firewatch because he just doesn't care.

It's like the army is giving a bonus of something like $35k for everyone who enlists to be EOD... most people are going to be enlisting for that job because of the $35k and not because they want to be EOD. That puts everyone in danger, what happens when some guy who doesn't care about his job (EOD) and only took it because he got a big bonus ends up missing an IED in Iraq and then an infantry unit out on a patrol gets hit because some lazy piece of crap who took a big bonus didn't care enough to double check what he was doing.

His ass will be filling sand bags back at the FOB... dont sweat it:cool:

jinelson
12-22-06, 08:24 PM
What I received money cant buy! Anyone who is enlisting in my Corps for money has no damn business in my Corps. And Im not just referring to the Title Marine either there's much more to it than just that. That is what sets us a part from the others and only we Marines know what that difference is. OORAH!!!

Jim

Marine84
12-22-06, 08:45 PM
Oohrah!

SgtHopperUSMC
12-22-06, 10:01 PM
No you dont. You can add the kicker at anytime.Usually during a punt or kickoff...

Oh.......never mind:)

WannabeAT
12-23-06, 08:55 PM
What I received money cant buy! Anyone who is enlisting in my Corps for money has no damn business in my Corps. And Im not just referring to the Title Marine either there's much more to it than just that. That is what sets us a part from the others and only we Marines know what that difference is. OORAH!!!

Jim

I apologize Staff Sergeant that I wasn't very clear in my original post. Money is probably the last reason I'm joining. There's other ways to pay for college. (People who join for money upset me too. I've met a couple people in the National Guard who've joined for the college money. Then they get all upset when they get called to go active to defend our country). If I get called to active duty, I'm not going to get upset and start whining. I just figured if the money's there, why not use it? If those are the benefits the Marines are offering me, why would I say no, you can keep it because being a Marine is more important to me. Being a Marine is more important to me, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to deny a benefit I am being offered. Becoming a Marine and receiving college money aren't oppsites. I can do both. I just thought I'd clarify where I'm coming from.

Soon2BeVIP
12-23-06, 09:36 PM
Usually during a punt or kickoff...

Oh.......never mind:)
Oh my word...I was waiting for it....:p

SgtHopperUSMC
12-23-06, 09:55 PM
Oh my word...I was waiting for it....:pIt was too tempting not to say it Ha Ha Ha.:banana:

Merry Christmas Marines, and all others. Heres to all you who are deployed all over the world:beer:

Ceya
12-29-06, 01:09 PM
If you get the kicker while you are in make sure you see proof. Not just LES but on 4270 system ( S1 Marines can help).

I am fighting for mine now.

S/F,
CEYA!