PDA

View Full Version : LAV's

sabbs88
12-19-06, 07:02 PM
Hey,

Anyone here have any info on LAV's? I'm planning to pursure this MOS, but I have a couple of questions...Is it true there are "scouts" in an LAV crew? What does the training consist of and where is it, and is it possible to work on an Associates degree while your an LAV crewman?

Thanks a lot.

-Dan

JoeSzynal
12-19-06, 11:58 PM
Hi Dan. I am an LAV crewman (0313). In every LAV crew, there are three crewmen (driver, gunner, vehicle commander) and anywhere from 0 to 6 scouts riding in back in the scout department. This configuration is typical for the LAV 25 which is the vehicle with the turret-mounted 25mm bushmaster chain gun. There are other LAV variants such as the logistics, recovery or mortar variant which will have different crewmen/scout configurations. For all LAVs, the configuration also depends on the mission.

All who are interested in becoming LAV crewmen need to enlist infantry because you will become an 0311 at SOI first. After SOI, you will go to the LAV schoolhouse at Camp Pendleton for six weeks. At the schoolhouse you will learn to be a driver for the most part because the driver is the entry level position as an 0313. You will shoot the 25 during school but the focus is on becoming a driver.

Now you could also graduate SOI as an 0311 or mortarman and be sent to a unit like 3rd LAR out here in 29 Palms for the purpose of being a scout on a LAV.

From my experiences, things in LAR get real flexible when talking about scouts in Iraq. Depending on the need, you will see everyone from crewmen, corpsmen, mechanics, linguists, intel Marines or comm Marines acting as scouts for a mission. You will also see crewmen go on dismounted foot patrols; sometimes because you want to go and your platoon Sgt. lets you, other times because your section is not going on the op and they need you as a scout. If you’re good on the radio as a crewman, chances are you’ll be tapped to carry the manpack on a dismounted patrol or raid. You’ll see it and most likely do it all.

As for the degree, if you are active duty and have any 03xx MOS it will be tough. The schedule is too unpredictable and during your workup for deployment your company throws many training packages at you varying from one day to several weeks (sometimes at other bases or locations far from your base) and anywhere in between.

Get a second opinion on that topic though. There are other options such as degree programs through the Corps etc. but I am not familiar with them.

Messenger
12-20-06, 09:48 AM
I want a turret-mounted 25mm bushmaster chain gun mounted on my pickup ,. ,. ,. ,. For personal home protection purposes only of course <cought cough > hehe =)

Semper Fi

Ceya
12-29-06, 01:20 PM
Being with LAR was fun, I was at the Stumps. I went to Alpha ( 3weeks), Bravo,Charlie.H&S. Attached to 1st LAR in Camp Pendleton for a hot second and really see a different between LAR battalions.

As a 0341, I did scout, mortarman ,tow training with LAR. I wished they did TRAP ( Tactical Rescue of Air Personnel) more.

LAR taught me more stuff about mortars. Once with Victor units it put the whole thing together.

I wouldn't trade my 0341 mos for anything.

Be prepared to be at the ramp along time.
S/F,
CEYA!

sabbs88
12-29-06, 04:26 PM
Thanks a lot. This information has been very useful. I want to be a scout on a LAV-25, this is more achievable than a recon or scout sniper lol.

Ceya
12-30-06, 01:31 PM
Most LAR Scouts are 0311. Drivers are 0313 , LAV M are for 0341, LAV T are 0352.

S/F,
CEYA!

sabbs88
12-30-06, 02:28 PM
soo im guessing in order for an 0311 to be a scout its really luck to get into an LAR unit?

Ceya
12-30-06, 03:28 PM
As for me I was sent to 2/7 and that changed the day as 2/7 was coming for us, they changed me to LAR.

Just try and pray.

S/F,
CEYA!

JoeSzynal
12-30-06, 04:44 PM
Sabss you are correct. There will have to be a bit of luck involved if you want to be sent to LAR as a scout. It all depends on the needs of the Marine Corps while you are going through SOI. Towards the end of that training you will be given the opportunity to fill out a wish list in which you would go ahead and put 0311 as your first choice. Then you have to wait till about graduation time for you to get your duty station assignment. Straight-leg units are larger than LAR units so the odds are against you but again it all depends on the needs of the Corps at that time.

This is how I remember it all happening. Someone correct me if this process has changed.

Ceya
12-30-06, 05:03 PM
Mine was different, they said who want to be 11's. everybody raise their hands.

Oh well too bad too sad. they read off names for each 03xx, 11 31, 41, 51, 52. those who passed Recon Indoc new they were leaving after the 11 section of school.

choice was only west or east. I got west coast.

Alot of sand, Joe you know that feeling.

Opening the hatch and seeing sand, sand .

S/F,
CEYA!