PDA

View Full Version : Run your business like a Marine

thedrifter
12-19-06, 08:13 AM
Run your business like a Marine
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

By TERESA M. MCALEAVY
STAFF WRITER

The idea of running an office like the Marine Corps is enough to send shivers through even the most diligent workers.

At first blush, anyway. Especially when former Marine Maj. Wally Adamchik shows a shouting drill sergeant on the cover of his new book on succeeding in business.

But then comes the title: "NO YELLING: The 9 Secrets of Marine Corps Leadership You Must Know to Win in Business.''

They're followed by a chat with Adamchik, which reveals true leadership has nothing to do with yelling, bullying or any other tough-guy attitude commonly associated with the military.

"Trust is the bedrock of a positive relationship,'' says Adamchik, a Long Island native who spent 10 years in the Marines and another 10 in business before starting FireStarter Speaking and Consulting, a national leadership development firm.

Adamchik wrote the book after interviewing 50 current Marines and another 50 former Leathernecks.

"I didn't want it to be Wally's opinion, based on my experiences, because I'm only one guy,'' Adamchik says.

"I was interested in the opinions of all these folks, male, female, officer, enlisted, civilian, young, old.''

The result is a book he believes is a practical guide for all business leaders, whether they have 1,000 employees or just five.

Adamchik recently talked about his book.

Q. Who is this book for?

Many of the books on leadership are written at the Jack Welch [former chairman and CEO of General Electric] level. But the majority of leaders lead at a much smaller level. Some guy running a shift at a uniform plant in Newark won't really care about the Jack Welch level. These concepts apply at the human level. They're universal, especially for the mid-line manager who is emerging.

Q. What's the most important leadership quality the Marines you interviewed came up with?

Integrity. One hundred percent of the Marines I interviewed said this. If a leader is not trusted, people will not work hard for [him or her]. If you don't have integrity, you've got nothing.

Q. Can you explain why technical competence is listed as one of your nine secrets?

If you're going to lead me, you need to understand what I do and what it takes to do it. If you're going to oversee the accounting department, you need to know about accounts receivable and accounts payable operations. You have credibility if you've walked in my shoes.

Q. Why is self-awareness important?

I have to have a good understanding of what my strengths are and what my weaknesses are to respond properly in a given situation. What works for me is not going to work for the person who sits next to me.

Q. What about taking care of people? Why is that a "secret" of leadership?

There is an implied social contract in our society that says, "When I come to work for you, I expect you to look out for me, with compensation, benefits, a safe workplace, the newest equipment out there." But you also have to get that if it makes sense for the business, it also makes sense at home.

There is a crossover. As a leader, you have to be flexible. If you know someone's mom is flying in this afternoon, tell that employee to leave early. The point is, if I take care of you to the best of my ability, you'll probably look out for me. It's not about lowering the standard. No. No. No. It's not about coddling people. It's about the relationship. It's about having loyal employees who will, in turn, perform better.

Spotlight on Workplace appears every Tuesday in The Record. E-mail: mcaleavy@northjersey.com

Ten-hut! Here's what to do:

1. Integrity: It's a must.

2. Technical competence: Know something about jobs performed at your firm.

3. Setting the example: Retail store managers who preach customer service should also go out of their way to help a shopper.

4. Self-awareness: Recognize your strengths and your weaknesses.

5. Taking care of people: Treat workers well, and they will produce more and be more loyal.

6. Making new leaders: Mentor potential supervisors.

7. Commander's intent or setting direction: Where are we going and why?

8. Culture and values: Make sure your diverse workforce understands how the organization functions.

9. Rehearsals and critiques: Practice and reassess what works and doesn't work for the organization.

Source: "The 9 Secrets of Marine Corps Leadership You Must Know to Win in Business," by Wally Adamchik

Ellie