PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place to research?

drumcorpssnare
12-18-06, 03:04 PM
I'm doing some family research regarding a great-uncle who was a Leatherneck.
Wondering whether HQMC, the new Marine Corps Museum, or the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation, is my best bet for info. Any suggestions?

Lawrence R. Dewine...b.1903 enetred Marine Corps...circa.1920 Made Sgt. by 1923. Newspaper article talks about the Corps' desire to promote him to 2nd Lt., only he's not old enough! Congress says he has to be at least 20 yrs. old. Promoted to 2nd Lt. a few days after turning twenty. Goes to Pensacola to become Marine aviator. My family said he served in Nicaragua during the 'banana wars,' and was the physical fitness officer aboard the USS Tenessee for a while. I also have a newspaper article concerning his death due to a mid-air collision at Mare Island, San Diego in March, 1927.

I'm interested in any details of the crash resulting from any official inquiry by the Marine Corps. I'd like to know the make and model of the aircraft he was flying. And, if he did in fact serve in Nicaragua, did he serve with Chesty Puller? Also, what made him such an exemplary Marine to be promoted from Sgt. to Lt. ???

Sound off Marines! Let me know what you think.

Also, contribute items relating to family members who were in the "OLD CORPS" (Prior to WW II)

SEMPER FI
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

10thzodiac
12-18-06, 03:19 PM
Mark,

Try here, it takes about three weeks: http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/veterans-and-next-of-kin.html

SF
10thz

drumcorpssnare
12-18-06, 03:33 PM
10thz- Thanks man. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
SEMPER FI
drumcorpssnare:usmc: