PDA

View Full Version : Honor and Integrity

Camper51
12-18-06, 11:55 AM
This post is for Moderboater.

I had to go back and see what was posted this weekend.

I am very proud of the way you handled yourself in all of the turmoil surrounding your statements. You have done the honorable thing and you showed great integrity.

I am calling Sgt Chase immediately to let him know what you have done and to tell him that I think you will be a fine credit to our Corps.

I hope you have learned an important lesson here. That lesson being that you can make a mistake and still claim your honor. You have done just that in my eyes and I hope in the eyes of my fellow Marines.

As to those who slammed me for what I did. Know that I did not do it out of mailice. I did it because I believed that Moderboater made a mistake that needed to be corrected. Some may think it is harsh but it was honest and it was truly the right thing to do. I have called Sgt Chase (did it while making this response) and I have informed him of the upstanding way that Moderboater handled himself on this matter.

I would now ask the first moderator who reads this to close this thread after Friday of this week.

I feel that Moderboater needs to see this, I also want to see and hear the responses of not only the Marines who were very critical of Moderboater, as I was, but I also want to hear from the Marines that thought I did either good or bad on this.

IMHO - I did the right thing and I believe that we have a good future Marine among us. He in no way was hurt in his path to becoming a Marine. In fact his resolve has probably been strengthened because now he sees that we can at once be very critical and very understanding when a mistake has been made.

It is the lesson learned that is important, not the mistake made, no matter how we all feel...

Worsham
12-20-06, 11:01 AM
I agreed with your actions then Camper, and I agree with you now that the lesson learned is what matters.

rb1651
12-20-06, 12:21 PM
I too agreed with your previous actions, and after seeing his response and corrective action in the other post, I also agree that he has the potential to become a fine Marine. Best of luck to you, Moderboater.

USMCVet1992
12-20-06, 12:41 PM
E4B, we as Marines not only have the right to correct an obvious problem such as the one that you addressed, we have an obligation to those who serve next to us now, and those who will serve next to us in the future. In my opinion, those who questioned your actions do not undersstand what is at stake when someone lies about a med history. As far as lying about your age, is it wrong? Yes. Is it as serious as concealing a potentially DQ'ing med history? He!! no, and those that think that it is, wait till a guy drops next to you with asthma in a firefight, then you'll understand. E4B, you did the right and honorable thing as we should as Marines.

USMCVet1992
12-20-06, 12:43 PM
Moderboater, good luck to you and remember that integrity is an every day part of being a Marine.

maverickmarine
12-20-06, 12:49 PM
Camper, I think how you handled that was outstanding. Good job Marine. Also, I am pleased to see that Moderboater showed some integrity and good luck to you.

jinelson
12-20-06, 01:03 PM
Camper you conducted yourself no differently than you would have if you were still active, well done! Moderboater showed courage and integrity and I believe he learned a valuable lesson and will make a good Marine.

Jim

Camper51
12-20-06, 01:06 PM
Moderboater, good luck to you and remember that integrity is an every day part of being a Marine.

This is the type of thing that needs to be said...

I am not looking for any accolades at all, I know what I did was right for me.'

Moderboater deserves the accolades for being a stand up man and realizing his mistake, then correcting his course appropriately. It takes a mighty big man to stand up to the heat like he did and admit his error.

In all his talks with me he was unfailingly polite and respectful. Sure he was angry with me but he never once went off on me. To me it took a lot of courage on his part to confront me and not pop off. I respected that just as I would respect it from anyone else. We might not have agreed on the subject at the time but we did politely discuss it and come to an agreement. I never guided him in what to say, or how to say it. I wanted to hear his words not someone elses, especially mine. He spoke them and I accepted them because I know he spoke from his heart and did not just say what I wanted to hear. Our discussions will forever remain private and all anyone needs to know is what I have stated out here where everyone can read it.

How often can someone take a very p*ssed off Marine (me) and not only change their minds but also maybe become a friend? He did it, nuff said...

Marine84
12-20-06, 01:10 PM
I thought you did the right thing the first time and I'll take your word on it this time - we've ALL f'd up at one point in our lives and we've ALL suffered consequences. This kid is young and just starting out making his mistakes - hopefully he learns from them as he goes.

Soon2BeVIP
12-20-06, 01:52 PM
I don't know if this is my place to speak, but since it's in the Poolee Hall I don't see why not. After reading everything that happened I can't believe how everyone is reacting right now. I had a friend that got kicked off just because he mis-spelled a sentence to be funny. This kid says some of the most dumbest things I've EVER seen anyone write in this place and just because he got caught and has to say sorry. Now it's just no big deal. I know many Marines that have his view somewhat, except not as grossly as he stated it. I know many Marines that agree with bending the truth if it's nothing big. Now I don't think that is right either. But this kid said all that he did and it's no big deal anymore. Maybe it's possible, but in my opinion I don't believe anyone would just 100% change their mind about something like that. With that attitude he had, do you really think he hasn't already lied about something in his past

rb1651
12-20-06, 02:28 PM
Soon2BeVIP, I don't know and don't really care about your friend who got kicked out, but I'm quite certain it was for more than mis-spelling a sentence.

As for the change of attitude, it's because this young man had the intestonal fortitude to: 1. Privately communicate with a Marine who called him on the carpet 2. Respectfully address his issues with said Marine. 3. Have the integrity to admit that he was wrong, not only to said Marine, but to the rest of the Marines who had viewed that thread. I can't speak for the others, but for me that shows the qualities that a potential Marine needs to fulfill his commitment and earn the title of Marine. If and when you earn the EGA, you will understand that almost all Marines will make a mistake when they are in the fleet. It is up to fellow Marines to point out the mistake and ensure that the Marine never makes the same mistake again.

jinelson
12-20-06, 03:13 PM
Well said rb1651 but I wouldnt have sugar coated it myself.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-21-06, 02:29 PM
Soontabe, that's the difference between a Sergeant of Marines, and a freakin Private/Poolee. The Sergeant did what Sergeant's do, and Moderboater did what good Privates/Poolees do. Simple as that. Hopefully, you can take that lesson from here, instead of having it smacking you in the head on the little yellow footprints, or elsewhere at Recruit training.

Well done Moder for "Stepping Up". The hard lessons we learn are the one's that stick with us longer.

v/r

Camper51
12-21-06, 03:12 PM
I don't know if this is my place to speak, but since it's in the Poolee Hall I don't see why not. After reading everything that happened I can't believe how everyone is reacting right now. I had a friend that got kicked off just because he mis-spelled a sentence to be funny. This kid says some of the most dumbest things I've EVER seen anyone write in this place and just because he got caught and has to say sorry. Now it's just no big deal. I know many Marines that have his view somewhat, except not as grossly as he stated it. I know many Marines that agree with bending the truth if it's nothing big. Now I don't think that is right either. But this kid said all that he did and it's no big deal anymore. Maybe it's possible, but in my opinion I don't believe anyone would just 100% change their mind about something like that. With that attitude he had, do you really think he hasn't already lied about something in his past

You obviously did NOT read the first set of posts on all of this. Moderboater NEVER said he lied, he said he felt it was OK to lie and that is what I jumped on him about.

I can't help it if you don't think someone can change their mind 100% but I am darn sure that if you read all the posts you know that not only did I change my mind but so did a few others. You might ask why, well that was explained already by RB1651.

A lot of what we react to is in direct response to how you or someone else reacts to us. If you get smart azzed with us I guarantee it won't be taken well, however, if you make a mistake in judgement, stand up to what you did, be TRULY contrite about it and not try and snake your way around the subject I can almost guarantee that people will notice and will react accordingly.

If Moderboater had handled himself any differently than he did we would not be on THIS post talking because all of the Marines in here would still be pounding Moderboater into the dirt. I am only one person who saw this and I just happened to be the central point of contact...

Soon2BeVIP
12-21-06, 05:36 PM
Alright not that I can just take back what I said, but I realized I shouldn't have said it. I sometimes take everything that goes on this site way to serious and start getting angry when things happen. I know it's not my place to judge. I was only mad because of his original attitude. I know he didn't say he had lied about anything, but just thinking about his attitude it seemed very possible he could've. If he was genuine with you in private, then I believe you. I'm taking my nose out of this thread. Anyways, sorry again about my previous post.

Hobson
12-21-06, 08:36 PM
Im sorry but you poolees who lie to get in my Corps I hope you fall on your ass. A good friend of mine has been DQd for something and has not been able to get in yet, but at least he was honest about it. Anyone who justifies lying deserves to be kicked out of the Corps. There is a reason we have

Honor

Courage

Commitment

Without them you will get no where and people who lie or try to justify lying should never be allowed to enter our ranks. That is my opinion and I will stand by it.

Semper Fi.