PDA

View Full Version : need help with military/legal issue

marajade
12-17-06, 02:15 AM
I'm hoping someone on here will be able to point me in the right direction. I just joined the board recently and I'm looking for help with a specific issue but am not sure which forum to post it in so I chose this one.

My husband just got out in october and we got married 2 months before that in august of this year. He was stationed in Cali and on one of my visits out to see him we got married unexpectedly in Vegas. I ended up having to stay a few extra days because I had to fill out all the spouse paperwork - health care, ipac, stuff like that, and had to get my base ID. I orginally had a long weekend from work (monday off too). I had to do all the paperwork then since he was getting out shorly and I would not be back to Cali before then.

When I flew back to work in Massachusetts, they fired me. basically I'm trying to get unemployment now and they are saying that I just didn't show up to work, even though I called my boss and recruiter (I was a temp worker) several times.

We had a gunny sgt at my husband's base tell us that I couldn't be fired if we had to stay and fill out paperwork, because I was worried when I didn't hear from my boss. He said there is some act or bill that prevents unlawful discrimination against military and their families for situations just like mine.

I need to find out what this law is called and if it even exists. I have an appeal for my unemployment on December 20th which is coming up quickly so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance and sorry if this is not the right section of the forum.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-17-06, 06:32 AM
What you might be thinking of is the "Soldiers and Sailors Relief act". Not sure if it applies to dependents or not, but it's worth a try to look into.

marajade
12-17-06, 06:49 AM
thanks. I will google it.

10thzodiac
12-17-06, 09:17 AM
[quote=marajade] basically I'm trying to get unemployment now and they are saying that I just didn't show up to work, even though I called my boss and recruiter (I was a temp worker) several times. quote]

I imagine you received a positive answer when you called your boss and recruiter that you could miss work. If you did, I would stress that to the unemployment compensation hearing officer (attorney).

My wife retired from one job and took another for a week and that job was to much for her and applied for unemployment. First it was denied after the new company challenged it, that she quit voluntarily. On appeal she submitted medical documentation from her doctor she was unable to that job and therefore quit. She was awarded unemployment at the new employers expense. The state official couldn't do the math involved so gave her the max. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/27.gif

I even laid myself off from my corporation and collected when I retired !

We love this country http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif

The1stSgt
12-17-06, 10:27 AM
I would suggest that you contact the Judge Advocate General's (Base Legal) office at the nearest Marine Corps Base and speak to a military attorney.

You might also try speaking to the Veteran Affairs office nearest you.

marajade
12-17-06, 05:34 PM
I would suggest that you contact the Judge Advocate General's (Base Legal) office at the nearest Marine Corps Base and speak to a military attorney.

You might also try speaking to the Veteran Affairs office nearest you.

Will JAG still help me even though my husband is out now? I know he had an issue with someone stealing his stuff who was on the base with him and JAG told him that since he got out (only a week before) they couldn't help him. I'll try the VA. Thanks for the suggestion.

10thzodiac
12-18-06, 06:52 AM
In my opinion, the only thing you got going for you is, "if" your boss and recruiter gave you the go ahead to take the time off, otherwise you'll just have to count on the discretion of the appeal adjudicators sympathy.

Remember where you heard it first, good luck.

There is always the option of finding a new job instead http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif

marajade
12-18-06, 07:14 AM
In my opinion, the only thing you got going for you is, "if" your boss and recruiter gave you the go ahead to take the time off, otherwise you'll just have to count on the discretion of the appeal adjudicators sympathy.

Remember where you heard it first, good luck.

There is always the option of finding a new job instead http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif

My recruiter said it was fine; my boss didn't return my phone calls even though I left her numerous messages explaining the situation. It was OKed by the recruiter, though. I see now why my boss didn't return my calls. Easier to get rid of me I guess.

Dont' know why the shocked face after finding a new job. I'm working on it, but moving across country and not having a good reference from the other job you wasted two years at doesn't help. I'm still entitled to back-pay of unemployment if I win the appeal, regardless of current job status.

10thzodiac
12-18-06, 03:54 PM
My recruiter said it was fine; my boss didn't return my phone calls even though I left her numerous messages explaining the situation. It was OKed by the recruiter, though. I see now why my boss didn't return my calls. Easier to get rid of me I guess.

Dont' know why the shocked face after finding a new job. I'm working on it, but moving across country and not having a good reference from the other job you wasted two years at doesn't help. I'm still entitled to back-pay of unemployment if I win the appeal, regardless of current job status.

LOL, just teasing you...http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/18.gif

Remember when talking to the appeals officer you have to be available for work to qualify, not time moving across country.

If you are terminated for cause, the last I heard legally the employer that terminated you, can only say you were terminated, not for what.

For the job search requirements to keep receiving unemployment, allot of people just write down from the phone book the employers they have supposedly contacted and for whom they contacted > personnel. You even have some people working for cash and drawing unemployment, isn't that terrible http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/11.gif

Good luck !

outlaw3179
12-18-06, 04:52 PM
In my opinion, and its just my opinion , move on. Get a job and forget it. Instead of spending time and energy ( and probably some money) just go and get a job.

marajade
12-18-06, 05:07 PM
yea, I have been available for work except for the two weeks of driving cross country. I woudln't lie about; I have actually been looking for work. I don't know why Washington is so totally job-barren right now. At least for me. I was a software technician but out here I'm applying to jobs like Burger King just hoping to make some kind of income.

If I hadn't invested so much time already, I would move on, but $473 a week since August is a bit hard to pass up. i could sure use the money and since I was wrongfully terminated I'm not too keen to just let my former employers get away with it.

I can still continue the job search (you're required to anyway to qualify for unemployment) without giving up on the appeal.
Anyway, hopefully my husband is getting in touch with the VA today about it. Thanks for that suggestion.

10thzodiac
12-18-06, 07:36 PM
While were on the subject. I like to tell all the young hard chargers here, 50 and 65 happens. It is not how much money you make, but how much money you save. <br />
<br />
I remember my son-in-law telling me...

greensideout
12-18-06, 08:00 PM
I'm hoping someone on here will be able to point me in the right direction. I just joined the board recently and I'm looking for help with a specific issue but am not sure which forum to post it in so I chose this one.

My husband just got out in october and we got married 2 months before that in august of this year. He was stationed in Cali and on one of my visits out to see him we got married unexpectedly in Vegas. I ended up having to stay a few extra days because I had to fill out all the spouse paperwork - health care, ipac, stuff like that, and had to get my base ID. I orginally had a long weekend from work (monday off too). I had to do all the paperwork then since he was getting out shorly and I would not be back to Cali before then.

When I flew back to work in Massachusetts, they fired me. basically I'm trying to get unemployment now and they are saying that I just didn't show up to work, even though I called my boss and recruiter (I was a temp worker) several times.

We had a gunny sgt at my husband's base tell us that I couldn't be fired if we had to stay and fill out paperwork, because I was worried when I didn't hear from my boss. He said there is some act or bill that prevents unlawful discrimination against military and their families for situations just like mine.

I need to find out what this law is called and if it even exists. I have an appeal for my unemployment on December 20th which is coming up quickly so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advance and sorry if this is not the right section of the forum.

Quote: "(I was a temp worker)"

You answered your own question.

Good luck on your new job search and remember, if you are looking for a free lunch---there ain't no free lunch.

marajade
12-18-06, 08:12 PM
Quote: "(I was a temp worker)"

You answered your own question.

Good luck on your new job search and remember, if you are looking for a free lunch---there ain't no free lunch.

Okay, maybe I'm just not getting this or something. Since when is unemployment some kind of mooching? I'm not sure if I'm misreading what's being implied. Things are hard to interpret on the internet. :)

anyway, I only gave the short version of my story to get some legal/unlawful termination help. There wasn't any need to mention that I was so good at my job that I was about to be hired, or that I was their longest running temp there. I was on a very small team with only four other people. It was a worldwide software company and we were the only five in the company who were trained for this particular job. Hence why I'm pretty suspicious that they were so eager to get rid of me. Not wanting to pay unemployment and such.

I'll admit to being a bit prideful at times. to have to apply for unemployment was shameful to me. And not having a job since then is a constant burden. I don't think I'm looking for a "free lunch" when I'm applying at places like fast food restaurants and Rite Aids. I'm not even trying to necessarily get my high paying software type job back; just to find any job at all.

Like I said, maybe I misinterpreted, but some of the responses seemed kind of...uppity about my feeling I deserved unemployment.

The hearing is in two days so I'm just going to have to present what I have since I have no money to get lawyer and file a claim against them. ah well. I'll either win or I won't. thanks for all the advice from everyone. See ya around.

greensideout
12-18-06, 08:30 PM
Okay, maybe I'm just not getting this or something. Since when is unemployment some kind of mooching? I'm not sure if I'm misreading what's being implied. Things are hard to interpret on the internet. :)

anyway, I only gave the short version of my story to get some legal/unlawful termination help. There wasn't any need to mention that I was so good at my job that I was about to be hired, or that I was their longest running temp there. I was on a very small team with only four other people. It was a worldwide software company and we were the only five in the company who were trained for this particular job. Hence why I'm pretty suspicious that they were so eager to get rid of me. Not wanting to pay unemployment and such.

I'll admit to being a bit prideful at times. to have to apply for unemployment was shameful to me. And not having a job since then is a constant burden. I don't think I'm looking for a "free lunch" when I'm applying at places like fast food restaurants and Rite Aids. I'm not even trying to necessarily get my high paying software type job back; just to find any job at all.

Like I said, maybe I misinterpreted, but some of the responses seemed kind of...uppity about my feeling I deserved unemployment.

The hearing is in two days so I'm just going to have to present what I have since I have no money to get lawyer and file a claim against them. ah well. I'll either win or I won't. thanks for all the advice from everyone. See ya around.

Hint: Never step down a notch when looking for a new job. Seek the job level that you know and are good at. A cut in pay with time to prove yourself is better then taking a job headed nowhere. Good luck!

marajade
12-18-06, 08:35 PM
Hint: Never step down a notch when looking for a new job. Seek the job level that you know and are good at. A cut in pay with time to prove yourself is better then taking a job headed nowhere. Good luck!

Thanks. I have looked for the type of job I'm used to but they are about two hours away from where we could afford to live. Life is so much fun sometimes. lol.
right now I just need money from any kind of job before I end up on welfare or something. I don't know how it got to this point, but it's very frustrating. Thanks for the advice.

10thzodiac
12-18-06, 09:19 PM

That's just Marines, they tease each other that way, until one of them gets their jaw broken. Hey I got all bust up in an industrial accident in 1971 about three purple hearts worth; my head my back my leg. I went on food stamps, the company wouldn't pay me while I was off, IL workers compensation was a joke.

Anytime now I can get something from the system hook or crook, I get it. I'm not ashamed. I learned a long time ago, when it is your turn, nobody feels sorry for you, especially the god dam government.

Ask the guys that got all shot up, if they're well taken care by their government !

Go for it !

aang
12-19-06, 11:54 AM
I hope this helps you out. I work in the Washington State Unemployment office. Most claims get denied the first time around. I would suggest you appeal the decision. Documentation is a must is a situation like this. Write down exactly what was said during your conversation with your boss also get a statement from the recruiter. You will probably have a phone hearing with you the magistrate and your former employer. You must show that at no fault of your own you were terminated. As long as you followed company policy and your employer had said it was fine you will probably get your claim. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at aang@esd.wa.gov Holy Crap! your in Washington you can even call me at (206) 721-6044. I work at the Rainier WorkSource Office/Unemployment Center. Always here to help out the Alumni.

SEMPER FI

aang
12-19-06, 12:03 PM
Almost forgot you may also get some free legal advice from the UI Law Project at (206) 441-9178

marajade
12-19-06, 04:31 PM
I hope this helps you out. I work in the Washington State Unemployment office. Most claims get denied the first time around. I would suggest you appeal the decision. Documentation is a must is a situation like this. Write down exactly what was said during your conversation with your boss also get a statement from the recruiter. You will probably have a phone hearing with you the magistrate and your former employer. You must show that at no fault of your own you were terminated. As long as you followed company policy and your employer had said it was fine you will probably get your claim. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at aang@esd.wa.gov Holy Crap! your in Washington you can even call me at (206) 721-6044. I work at the Rainier WorkSource Office/Unemployment Center. Always here to help out the Alumni.

SEMPER FI

Thanks. I actually applied for some worksource jobs a couple days ago on the WA website.
The funny thing is, the phone hearing is with the temp company because they are officially who paid me. Yet the temp co is the one who said it was fine and my boss at work never returned my calls. Hence why I'm really nervous abotu the phone appeal tomorrow because it was already denied once even with my recruiter saying it was fine. ::sigh:: I don't get people.

Camper51
12-19-06, 04:36 PM
Thanks. I actually applied for some worksource jobs a couple days ago on the WA website.
The funny thing is, the phone hearing is with the temp company because they are officially who paid me. Yet the temp co is the one who said it was fine and my boss at work never returned my calls. Hence why I'm really nervous abotu the phone appeal tomorrow because it was already denied once even with my recruiter saying it was fine. ::sigh:: I don't get people.

People are very easy to figure out.

They are going to say whatever it takes to save their a$$.

That means they toe the company line so the company does not have to pay...

marajade
12-19-06, 04:41 PM
People are very easy to figure out.

They are going to say whatever it takes to save their a$$.

That means they toe the company line so the company does not have to pay...

touche'

10thzodiac
12-19-06, 05:38 PM
marajade, make sure you emphasize this, this is your strongest argument in your favor !

"The funny thing is, the phone hearing is with the temp company because they are officially who paid me. Yet the temp co is the one who said it was fine."

Let us know how you did !

Don't you just love the Internet, pretty soon with all this information available, we're going to have the politicians fighting their own brain fart wars, not some patriotic blue collar kids being misled. Thanks again Al for inventing the INTERNET http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/04.gif sorry about Florida.

crate78
12-19-06, 10:38 PM
I went the same route once. I was working temp assignments and filed for unemployment when the temp agency didn't have another assignment after one three month stint ended. They denied my unemployment claim because I missed one day calling in to see if there were any new assignments.

I appealed and had the telephone hearing. During the hearing, the temp recruiter lied through her teeth and said exactly what she needed to say to make the denial stick.

It's not worth the hassle and aggravation. Look at it as a learning experience, go on an intense job hunt, and move on.

My humble opinion.

crate

marajade
12-20-06, 02:24 PM
I've delayed the hearing so that I have time to find a lawyer, for those of you who were interested in an update. I'm relieved actually. Now I have more time to really do my research. I've got a couple witnesses who were there when I talked to my temp agency and heard them give the ok so I'm going to call them.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

greensideout
12-20-06, 02:35 PM
What? You hired a REAL lawyer?

Did your Marine hubby warn you about "sea lawyers"? I thought we were doing well---LOL. :D

marajade
12-20-06, 05:22 PM
What? You hired a REAL lawyer?

Did your Marine hubby warn you about "sea lawyers"? I thought we were doing well---LOL. :D

haha. Well, unless one of you wants to represent me on the phone for the appeal....

10thzodiac
12-20-06, 09:50 PM
What's with these phone appeals, someone can't afford metal detectors and afraid they're going to get sued for not protecting the the f**kee from the f**ker http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/12.gif

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/06.gif

marajade
12-20-06, 09:56 PM
I moved. the appeal is in Massachusetts because that's where I worked. I live in Washington. Not flying home for those idiots again. So I get to do a phone appeal. Whatever; suits me fine if I never see any of them again.