PDA

View Full Version : Marine Returns To Corps To “Get Some"

jinelson
12-16-06, 07:01 PM
Marine Returns To Corps To “Get Some”

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/news03.jpg

Cpl. Jeffrey T. Christian re-enlisted in the Marine Corps after serving more than a decade as a police officer with the Ashland County Police Force in Kentucky.

Lance Cpl. Nicole A. LaVine

Combat Correspondent

There are countless ways American’s serve their country. Some become doctors or lawyers, while others become teachers and authors. But, for people like Cpl. Jeffrey T. Christian, a more hands-on job is all that can satisfy their needs to serve.

Christian, a 35-year-old native of Huntington, W.Va., re-enlisted in the Marine Corps this year, 13 years after his initial enlistment began in September 1993.

During his first enlistment, Christian filled numerous duties including security forces, mortarman, scout swimmer, and a primary marksmanship instructor. Although Christian liked his duties as a Marine, he also had the desire to serve in law enforcement.

After finishing his enlistment in the Corps, Christian spent the next 11-and-a-half years giving his services in the Ashland County Police Force in Kentucky. He started off doing street patrols, and then moved into undercover narcotics.

“I liked narcotics duty the most,” said Christian.

“Law enforcement is obviously much more relaxed than the Marines,” continued Christian. “There is not as much discipline, but it was much better than other civilian jobs.”

After more than a decade of police work, Christian said he felt that chapter of his life had come to an end and he had done all he could do there. It was time to go back into the Corps and do what he had always wanted: be a sniper.

Although Christian was almost turned down by his recruiter for being too old, snipers are in much higher demand today than when he first came into the Corps. After running a physical fitness test and showing his recruiter he could make the cut, the job was his.

Now that Christian is living his dream job all over again, he said he couldn’t be happier doing anything else.

“I just love the job, the concept and the small sniper team,” he said. “And now, I get to go to Iraq, too. That is what I always wanted to do. About 90 percent of my old friends from the Corps wish they could have come back in because of Iraq.”

Christian admits that the Corps is slightly different than when he came through the first time. The only major differences, he said, are the weapons and the optics. As far as the men he works with, he said they act the same way they did 13 years ago.

“Marines will always be Marines,” said Christian. “You could come back in 50 years, and it wouldn’t have ever changed.”

Christian offers a piece of advice to first term Marines.

“Just because things don’t go the way you wanted them to, don’t mess up your career because you are mad now,” he said. “Protect what you have while you are in the Corps. Leave with honor and don’t burn any bridges or close any doors. Remember why you came and why you serve.”

How many of you would love to have this young Marines oppritunity granted to you?

Jim

Sgt Leprechaun
12-17-06, 06:40 AM
Well, believe it or not, I lived it once. Got out in '89, spent until 1997 as a police officer. Reenlisted in 97 as a LCpl (was a Sgt when I got out). I loved every single minute of it. It was a great chance. Sadly, because my oldest daughter developed a major brain disorder, I was unable to deploy (I did manage a full Medfloat..the condition was discovered while enroute back to Camp Lejeune), and thus, was passed over for SSgt. I elected to get out instead of reenlisting after 9/11, because she needed major brain surgery. That was completed in 2003, and she's now in training to be a firefighter at age 17, so she's made a complete recovery.....thus allowing me to make a final attempt to reenlist..this time in the USMCR....the packet is awaiting approval from HQMC. Even at 42, I still feel that 'pull', and believe I can contribute something. I've got ten years of service, and plenty of people have told me "You are nuts, you've done your time...what if you get sent to Iraq???" My response is "Well, I hope I DO get to go...won't feel like such a slacker then".

I well know where this Marine is coming from!

Cpl Brooks on this forum has done the same thing...not here as much now because of recruiting duty, but he feels the same way...

Semper Retreads!

v/r

PFTstud
12-18-06, 12:11 AM
oohrah motivated devil dog.