PDA

View Full Version : Weapons and Field Training Battalion Marines bring families together

thedrifter
12-16-06, 08:13 AM
MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO(Dec. 15, 2006) -- On a warm afternoon, Marines, sailors and families of Weapons and Field Training Battalion came together for a family day celebration at Edson Range, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif., Dec. 2.

“This is one of those events that every unit should do,” said Staff Sgt. Matthew Benack, Delta Range platoon sergeant who was showing his 9-year-old son, Jeffrey, and his 6-year-old daughter, Skyler, some of the weapons Marines use.

“It gives the Marines in the battalion the opportunity to come together and get to know each other,” said Benack, a native of Fredrick, Mo.

When the children were not playing on the inflatable playgrounds or talking to Santa Claus, they had the opportunity to get their faces painted with camouflage paint and learn more about what their Marines do at work on a regular basis.

Sergeant Kevin Norris, martial arts instructor from Poway, Calif., accompanied his 5-year-old son, Logan, on a Light Armored Vehicle for a short ride around Edson Range.

“I loved the ride so much I wanted to do it again,” said Logan. “But the gear was too heavy and I couldn’t see because the helmet was too big.”

In addition to the LAV rides around the range, a hands-on weapons displays were available. Some Marines enjoyed these features most at the event because it helped give their families a better understanding of the Marine Corps.

“I have participated in family day events before and they are really good for developing a stronger relationship in the family,” said Corina Wilson, wife of Staff Sgt. Tyjuan Wilson, a native of Lancaster, Pa. “In my experience, I learned that my husband’s job is not that easy. As military spouses we don’t realize how hard they actually work.”

Some of the Marines in the battalion come from units that deploy frequently. Events like family day give the Marines and their families the opportunity to take a break from the high operational tempo, said Staff Sgt. Jason Butler, assistant operations officer for the battalion.

The event proved to be beneficial in many ways for the Marines and their families. Because of the successful turnout, the battalion plans to host these types of events more frequently.

Ellie