PDA

View Full Version : ‘A few good’ gifts for grannies; Marines help supply elderly with Christmas presents

thedrifter
12-16-06, 08:10 AM
‘A few good’ gifts for grannies; Marines help supply elderly with Christmas presents

by Larry Causey
Published December 16, 2006

Gunnery Sgt. Steven Blackmon, 36, of the U.S. Marine Corps, has volunteered for so many community projects he has a medal for it.

The area commander of the Marine recruiting substation in Killeen, Blackmon also has an office in the Temple Mall. He and three other Marines are in the collection and distribution stage of the “Gifts for Grannies” program of Friends for Life.

“More programs like that are needed for the mature,” he said. “They tend to be forgotten, and that’s wrong.”

Friends for Life, based in Waco, helps Central Texas seniors year around. A few years ago, the Christmas program was added. Thursday was the last day for people to bring unwrapped “Gifts for Grannies” to drop-off boxes in Waco and Temple.

The next phase is wrapping gifts and making cards. The gifts include clothing, personal care items, room decorations and snacks.

Blackmon will be getting more help from about 20 Marines whose training programs break for the holidays. They will be sent to him as recruiter assistants.

“I’ll tell them all that we’ll do volunteer work,” he said. “I’ll tell them it’s your opportunity to give back.”

“I’m going to teach the younger Marines that it’s better to give than receive,” he said.

One of the places he and his helpers will be going is a retirement home in Bartlett. He said that something as simple as a crossword puzzle book or a blanket means a lot to the seniors.

During the school year, Blackmon and his three regular assistants visit 17 high schools and talk to the students about life, he said.

Ellie