PDA

View Full Version : The funny art of escapism, in wartime

thedrifter
12-15-06, 07:30 AM
The funny art of escapism, in wartime
December 15,2006
Anne Clark

Whether in the desert, with mortars echoing in their chest, or at home, with a combat deployment at their elbow, service members could use a break, said comedian Butch Bradley.

“When I perform (in country), I don’t wear a helmet, I wear clothing from home,” said Bradley, who has performed for U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

“I talk to them about home and the mall and family. I try to get them out of there for an hour.”

Bradley and fellow comics Patrick DeGuire and Dan Swartwout are touring a little closer to home this month, traveling to five military bases in North Carolina.

They’ll end up with shows at New River tonight and Camp Lejeune on Saturday.

DeGuire, who has made U.S. troops laugh in Korea and Japan, said they are an especially good audience who appreciate the brief escape from reality, staying around after a set to talk to the comics.

“These guys tend to be real in their reaction,” DeGuire said. “And the base is a really good sample of America. It’s a good indication of how mainstream your material is.”

For this tour, the comedians got some guidelines on what to avoid: no politics, no ridiculing the commander in chief, nothing racist or sexist.

“This is not the place to make a political speech; it’s a place to bring happiness and humor,” Bradley said.

That doesn’t mean they won’t work a little blue; that’s why the Camp Lejeune show is limited to those 18 years and older.

DeGuire said his comedy is more personal than observational; he wants his audience to connect with who he is.

That’s why he’s able to tell revealing stories about his life as a husband and father of four, and about the optic neuritis that left him legally blind within four months in 1995. Thankfully, he’d already met — and seen clearly — his future wife, Sofia.

“I started doing comedy as a form of therapy,” said DeGuire, who was voted class clown in his San Diego high school.

He’d gotten work as a merchandiser for Pepsi after graduating, but his rapid loss of vision meant he could no longer drive.

Though his life’s journey may seem different than those of the troops, the theme of challenge, and how to overcome it, is universal.

DeGuire struggles not only with blindness but the constant travel that takes him away from his family and causes him to miss birthdays and holidays, something deployed troops can understand.

“I love what I do,” DeGuire said. “And sometimes what you love the most, hurts the most.”

Bradley saw this love of service in the troops he met while performing in the Middle East.

He took a C-130 into Baghdad in summer 2003; he’s been to Afghanistan four times. While there, he talks with the troops, eats with them, even takes them on in heated X-Box games.

His latest trip to Afghanistan was in February.

“Their morale is good, they were making me laugh and making sure I wasn’t frightened,” Bradley said. “But the jewel they carry is the homecoming date.”

Bradley said his background in improv is an advantage when performing overseas. He can take to the stage and humorously describe the convoy route he took to get there.

He said going there has been the best thing he’s ever done. It’s made him more aware of the price paid by a brave few.

“It’s made me really aware of how blessed we are, as we race to the mall at Christmas and yell at each other in line,” Bradley said.

“It’s fun to see people in Los Angeles on a 75-degree day and a six dollar coffee in their hands, arguing politics. I think, if you only knew. I’m aware of the moment, and how precious it is.”

You can also catch the comedians tonight at the enlisted club on New River. Doors open at 7 p.m. for a Christmas party, including a jalapeņo eating contest and deejay; the comics come on stage at 9 p.m. Active duty gets in free, $5 for civilians. For details, call 449-5846.

To learn more about the comedians, go to www.swarty.com and www.myspace.com/butchbradley.

Ellie