PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp Questions

CJA
12-14-06, 04:55 PM
First off, some of these questions you've probably seen before and I apologize.

Just a few questions for those of you who have earned the title:

First, did boot camp go by fast for you? I've heard that both.. that it feels like years and also that it felt like he woke up and was a Marine.

Second of all, if you're put in medical are you pretty much guaranteed to be held back? I'm doing the 92 day reserve (IIADT) program which pretty much means I cannot be held back.

Lastly, I'm a pretty bad insomniac, so I've been wondering if I'll be able to sleep very well at boot camp. I usually stay up to 1-2AM and wake up about 730AM on school nights. How did you sleep during boot?

Probably odd questions to yall, but I like to research things to the bone.

Thanks

Camper51
12-14-06, 05:02 PM
First off, some of these questions you've probably seen before and I apologize.

Just a few questions for those of you who have earned the title:

First, did boot camp go by fast for you? I've heard that both.. that it feels like years and also that it felt like he woke up and was a Marine.

Second of all, if you're put in medical are you pretty much guaranteed to be held back? I'm doing the 92 day reserve (IIADT) program which pretty much means I cannot be held back.

Lastly, I'm a pretty bad insomniac, so I've been wondering if I'll be able to sleep very well at boot camp. I usually stay up to 1-2AM and wake up about 730AM on school nights. How did you sleep during boot?

Probably odd questions to yall, but I like to research things to the bone.

Thanks

Boot camp could not come to an end fast enough for me, yet it flew by.

Don't think you can't be held back because you certainly can. You must be healthy enough to finish boot camp or you will be put on a medical hold until you are healthy enough. The REQUIREMENT is you MUST finish boot camp and only actual training days count toward that.

Don't worry about sleep. You won't have time to think about it because you will be tired at the end of every day from all the mental and physical work you will do. Most everyone in my boot camp platoon could fall asleep at the drop of a hat, day or night. Sleep will be among the least of your worries...

CJA
12-14-06, 05:07 PM
First of all, thank you.

What I meant by I cannot be held back is, if I do it runs into my contract. It's IIADT, which in essence means I'm guaranteed back in time for college and if I get held back I'll have a huge decision to make. Not that I wouldn't stay in boot camp, but I'd have to probably start college a semester later than I'd like.

Camper51
12-14-06, 05:13 PM
If you are healthy, and not way overweight, and do not get injured then there is no problem is there...

I am no expert on this but if you need those answers you ought to be talking to your recruiter...

We aren't experts in here, just a bunch of Marines and Marine veterans. You want expert answers then talk to the experts, IE: recruiters...

You want opinions then we all have those, don't we...

CJA
12-14-06, 05:19 PM
All I'm looking for are opinions, and I appreciate the information you're giving.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-14-06, 05:43 PM
First of all, thank you.

What I meant by I cannot be held back is, if I do it runs into my contract. It's IIADT, which in essence means I'm guaranteed back in time for college and if I get held back I'll have a huge decision to make. Not that I wouldn't stay in boot camp, but I'd have to probably start college a semester later than I'd like.

I don't know that stating a semester late is all that big of a deal. I would be shocked if you didn't get deployed at some point anyway, which would slow your progress down. Even as a reservist, the Marine Corps must come first. If it slows things down for a semester because you have to finish boot camp, it isn't that big of a deal in the long run.

CJA
12-14-06, 05:47 PM
I don't know that stating a semester late is all that big of a deal. I would be shocked if you didn't get deployed at some point anyway, which would slow your progress down. Even as a reservist, the Marine Corps must come first. If it slows things down for a semester because you have to finish boot camp, it isn't that big of a deal in the long run.

You make a good point. I know I'll get deployed somewhere, but hey that's why we join right.