PDA

View Full Version : Hundreds Attend Funeral of Evansville Marine Killed in Iraq

thedrifter
12-14-06, 03:29 PM
Hundreds Attend Funeral of Evansville Marine Killed in Iraq

story by: Lindsay Gantner

EVANSVILLE - Hundreds packed into Saint Boniface Catholic Church Wednesday morning to honor an Evansville marine who was killed in Iraq last week.

It was standing room only to honor Sgt. Brock Babb. Uniformed marines have stayed at Babb's side since Monday's plane side ceremony in Louisville. Wednesday morning, family along with dozens of servicemen, police, and hundreds of friends said their last goodbyes.

Many Tri-Staters came to show support for Babb and his family by carrying the American flag outside St. Boniface.

"I think his family deserves all the respect they can get and it's one reason I came out here today," said Lisa Miller.

"I knew Sgt. Babb. He was at Reitz when my son was going up there, so this is something I felt like I just had to come and show my support, because he always gave so much from his heart," John F. Siscel, III told us. Siscel rode with the Patriot Riders veterans group.

"I'm proud I was able to hold the flag today," said Siscel.

The Patriot Riders and other veterans groups also lined Wabash Avenue to create a safe environment for the Babb family.

"The community has come together to support this family, and this is what they family needs right now. They need all the support and love they can get. They have lost someone very near and dear to them," explained Kyra Rose, the Patriot Riders Ride Captain.

Rose says each mission the group performs for a marine, soldier, or sailor is to honor their memory and help their families.

"We can put the families together. That way there's that support there for families who have already been through it. It's like a family unit together because they have lost a son, or they have lost a husband or a family member and they can give a little insight to each other of how to deal with some of it," said Rose.

Ellie