PDA

View Full Version : WWE Superstars Visit Deployed Marines in Iraq

thedrifter
12-13-06, 07:45 AM
WWE Superstars Visit Deployed Marines in Iraq

by Cpl. Ray Lewis

World Wrestling Entertainment superstars took a break from their high-flying antics in the ring to visit the Marines and sailors of 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 5 here Dec. 7.

"It's my pleasure to be here," said John Cena, a WWE champion. "It's a thrill just to hear people say that it's great that we're out here."

The six-foot-one, 240-pound wrestler from West Newbury, Mass., fit right in with the crowd of screaming troops.

"It's awesome," said Lance Cpl. Jesse R. Keezer, a supply administrative clerk with Headquarters and Service Company.

The 20-year-old from Delmar, N.Y., said the visit was a breath of fresh air.

"It's a sight for sore eyes to see real people," said Keezer, who wrestled for his high school before he joined the Marine Corps. "It's good famous people came out here to show their appreciation."

Cena was a hit amongst the troops there, sporting his U.S. Marine Corps T-Shirt, woodland digital camouflage uniform and combat boots.

"I'm a big supporter of all the Armed Forces, especially the Marines," said Cena who starred in the movie, "The Marine," which premiered at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif.

The WWE wrestlers were grateful just to be there.

"I feel like it's so easy for people to take certain things for granted," said Kristal, a WWE SmackDown Diva. "This is an eye-opening experience."

The wrestlers knew without troops, none of their opportunities would be possible.

"If we could all be out here, we would," said Johnny Nitro, a WWE superstar from Los Angeles. "We enjoy our luxuries and freedom because what you do out here. I appreciate the hell out of it."

Nitro's girlfriend agreed.

"This is the least we can do for everything that you do for us," said Melina, a WWE Diva and Nitro's manager. "I like to just try to give a little bit back by just being here. This really means a lot to me. God bless each and every one of you. I wish I could visit everyone."

After some autographs, pictures with the troops and attending a memorial here, the superstars were once again on their way to visit other troops. The wrestlers bade farewell while they departed to their military aircraft.

"I think it's great that they would take time from their busy schedules and having fun with their families to come see Marines in Iraq and wish us well," said Lance Cpl. Jacob J. Macomber, a 25-year-old supply administrative clerk with Headquarters and Service Company, from Manchester, Conn.

The visit was part of a three-day tour that started here and will end with a performance at Camp Victory, Baghdad, Iraq, Dec. 8.

judythpiazza@gmail.com

Ellie