PDA

View Full Version : Combat PT

thedrifter
12-12-06, 01:37 PM
Combat PT

Fitness form fits function in the Corps' unit-specific new concept

By John Hoellwarth
Marine Corps Times Staff writer

Doing a set of pull-ups doesn't put rounds in the Howitzer. There are no improvised explosive devices on the three-mile run.

And crunches can't kill.

Sure, spending three hours a week doing crunches, runs and pull-ups will get you a high score on the physical-fitness test, but it doesn't quite prepare you for your job or put you in complete fighting shape.

That's why fitness experts with Marine Corps Combat Development Command are in the opening stages of a massive overhaul of the way every Marine does physical training, in which commanders will tailor their unit's PT to the mission at hand.

It's called functional fitness, and it means exercise regimens will vary from unit to unit based on that unit's job or what those Marines are expected to do in combat.

"The infantry would be doing a lot more walking and carrying weight, whereas the logistical support Marine might be lifting more above their heads," said Lt. Col. Lance McDaniel, branch head for service concepts at the Marine Corps Warfighting Lab in Quantico, Va.

It doesn't mean that come PFT time, you'll be hauling sandbags around instead of making friends with the pull-up bar. The test will stay intact. However, it does mean that shorter runs and a variety of exercises performed during PT should translate to fewer muscle injuries while raising PFT scores across the board, Corps planners say.

The proposal for functional fitness, endorsed Nov. 9 by Lt. Gen. James Amos, deputy commandant for combat development and integration, describes it as "the ability to perform a broad array of natural or realistic physical work."

"Lifting and carrying ammo cans filled with sand, that's very functional for combat," McDaniel said. "Going to the gym and doing curls is not an example of a functional exercise."

Planners say after gathering data and working out a Corps-wide implementation plan, functional fitness could be changing your life in as soon as six months. And some Marines could start even earlier.

Functional fitness places a premium on exercises that involve whole-body movements. That's because these exercises increase range of motion, which decreases the chance of injury and bolsters the body's ability to recover if an injury does happen, McDaniel said.

The Corps is radically shifting gears because unit PT, as it stands now, overemphasizes aerobic training such as long-distance running while placing "very little" emphasis on strength training, the concept states.

"Our physical training was not 'functional' in this sense," Amos wrote in his endorsement.

Central to the concept is a new focus on "general physical preparedness" and mission-specific training "for specific occupational fields," McDaniel said.

For example, an artillery unit "might go out to the field and move projectiles off a 7-ton truck" instead of dressing in green-on-green PT gear for a formation run, McDaniel said.

But if that same artillery unit receives orders to deploy as a provisional military police unit to the mountainous terrain of Afghanistan, the commander may instead elect to hump his Marines up and down the hills of Camp Pendleton, Calif. After all, functional fitness allows commanders to tailor the workouts to the mission, McDaniel said.

But what about the PFT?

"Although the PFT is an important test, it should not make commanders sacrifice their need to tailor fitness training to their unit," said Lt. Col. Brian McGuire, an operations officer with Marine Corps Training and Education Command who holds degrees in exercise science and sports medicine with certifications from a lengthy and impressive list of professional associations.

The PFT establishes a base line fitness standard for Marines and allows commanders to gauge their unit's fitness in relation to the standard.

What it doesn't do is tell commanders how many windows their Marines can jump through wearing a full combat load or how many doors they can knock down before they need more than one kick.

"You don't find yourself in combat dropping your gear and going on a three-mile run. You find yourself doing quick bursts of energy, quick bursts of strength," McDaniel said.

So the PFT stays, at least for now, because the Corps needs a standard way to measure fitness for the sake of competitive promotion.

"We don't know what the future holds," McDaniel said. "[Training and Education Command] will have to take a look at the PFT, and if in five years we feel a change is necessary, we don't feel constrained to stick with the PFT."

For those who think hauling ammo cans or hoisting sandbags over their heads might actually hurt their PFT score, McDaniel said not to worry.

"I've been doing functional fitness since August, and I shaved a minute off my run time and I run less," McDaniel said. "You don't have to train for the PFT, you train for functional fitness - you will be in as good or in better shape as you were."

So if PT changes from unit to unit, how do you gauge Marines' progress?

"I think what you'll see is that units will gravitate toward their own tests, one-mile run followed by rope climb, followed by dead lifts," he said. "There'll be some competition applied, and you'll be able to tell right away whether your guys are conditioned for functional fitness instead of saying, 'Hey guys, go run a PFT.'"

The concept states that commanders still will use the PFT to assess fitness, but a perfect score does not mean a Marine is perfectly fit for fighting.

"A Marine could score well on a PFT and strain his or her back while lifting a pack or carrying a 155mm projectile to the loading tray. The problem here is not with the PFT, but with the training," the proposal states.

That fits with the Marine Corps order that governs physical training, which discourages PT programs that prepare Marines for the PFT. Instead, it tasks commanders to focus their efforts on "combat conditioning."

"The current doctrine supports in large part the concept. It's a matter of ensuring the commanders have the expertise necessary to assist," McGuire said.

A Corps-wide message released Dec. 7 announced the functional fitness concept in an effort to "provoke debate within the Marine Corps on the most effective approach for preparing Marines physically and mentally for the demands of combat."

That's the first step in the rollout, McGuire said.

"[We've been] in the process of assessing the attitudes and perceptions of Marines about physical training since September 2001 to get a sense of how PT helped prepare them for the demands of combat," he said.

He called it "the gathering data phase" and emphasized that "any changes to the Marine Corps physical-fitness program and testing will be based on empirical evidence" that the changes are for the better.

Policy advisers from Combat Development and Training and Education commands and the Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned are putting their heads together to come up with a plan on how to get functional fitness from the drawing board to the fleet.

McDaniel said there are issues - such as whether the concept requires the Corps to build new facilities, buy new equipment, or develop new instructional classes or doctrine - that will take time to work out, though "some things will go faster than others."

"We believe to input the program Corps-wide, we are going to have to have unit coordinators who are training in functional fitness," he said. "It could be the same guy who teaches [the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program]. We're looking at combining that."

Retired Lt. Col. Joseph Shusko, director of the Corps' Martial Arts Center for Excellence in Quantico, said it is likely that the know-how necessary to bring functional fitness to the fleet is already there at the unit level. He said martial arts instructor-trainers have been learning how to create functional fitness PT programs as part of the center's curriculum since 2003.

"We labeled it 'combat conditioning,' but it incorporates a lot of the functional fitness that the lieutenant colonels are looking at right now," he said.

Since these Marines already learn the tenets of functional fitness before hitting the fleet to coordinate unit-level martial arts, the plan so far is to let them coordinate PT when they get there too, Shusko said.

"In my heart, I believe these instructor-trainers with this expertise are doing it on their own anyway," he said.

The Marine Corps hasn't set a deadline for the end of the implementation planning phase, McDaniel and McGuire said, but both agree a change in the way units do PT is not far off.

McGuire said he expects the concept to become a reality "in the near future," which McDaniel estimated was six months away.

But that's not stopping anyone from trying out the concept early, McDaniel said.

"I've done this with ammo cans and rocks," he said.

Ellie

capmarine
12-12-06, 08:32 PM
i do my jogging on the treadmill,weights,boxing,kxboxing,and other aerobic exercises-one thing i always do are bodywt exercises,the usual chins,pushups,situp,dips-if you are interested in a unique program try-fitdeck.com
a former Navy SEAL came up with this program,it will work right along with your other workouts.

greensideout
12-12-06, 09:20 PM
"Back to the future"? We trained with sand buckets in boot, ran in our boots, etc. Whenever anyone has asked me about working out I tell them to make it simple. Have a load of large rock dumped on the side of your yard. Pick them up and move them to the other side as fast as you can. Then move them back. Repeat. That will take care of most all of your exercise needs.

SuNmAN
12-12-06, 09:37 PM
I personally think its kind of stupid

the most effective way of building muscular strength by FAR is in the weight room with free weights.

Getting stronger through building muscle in the weight room will translate to performance loading sandbags, carrying 155mm shells and ammo cans etc. but the reverse is not true.

Unless you are genetically gifted, practicing carrying ammo cans all over the place etc. will not make you much stronger.

Just like the Marine Corps thinks doing a bazillion pushups in boot camp will make you stronger. It doesn't at all. 95% of the Marines I know suffered tremendous loss of muscle in boot camp, including yours truly who lost 20 lbs of lean muscle mass. The only reason why pullups go up is because you have lost so much goshdarn weight.

Develop a program that will require trips to the free weight section of the weight room for every active duty Marine if possible, churning out heavy sets of bench press, incline press, parallel squats, power cleans and I guarantee you it will translate into getting stronger for loading sandbags and carrying artillery shells.

greensideout
12-12-06, 09:53 PM
I personally think its kind of stupid

the most effective way of building muscular strength by FAR is in the weight room with free weights.

Getting stronger through building muscle in the weight room will translate to performance loading sandbags, carrying 155mm shells and ammo cans etc. but the reverse is not true.

Unless you are genetically gifted, practicing carrying ammo cans all over the place etc. will not make you much stronger.

Just like the Marine Corps thinks doing a bazillion pushups in boot camp will make you stronger. It doesn't at all. 95% of the Marines I know suffered tremendous loss of muscle in boot camp, including yours truly who lost 20 lbs of lean muscle mass. The only reason why pullups go up is because you have lost so much goshdarn weight.

Develop a program that will require trips to the free weight section of the weight room for every active duty Marine if possible, churning out heavy sets of bench press, incline press, parallel squats, power cleans and I guarantee you it will translate into getting stronger for loading sandbags and carrying artillery shells.

That's interesting sunman! We had the opposite result when I went to boot. For me, I went in at 145 lbs. I graduated at 185 lbs with a 29" waist. Pullups went up with weight. Real work beats the gym stunts IMO. After the Corps I hung red iron. I ran crews for 14 years. I know what I'm talking about!

SuNmAN
12-12-06, 10:57 PM
That's interesting sunman! We had the opposite result when I went to boot. For me, I went in at 145 lbs. I graduated at 185 lbs with a 29" waist. Pullups went up with weight. Real work beats the gym stunts IMO. After the Corps I hung red iron. I ran crews for 14 years. I know what I'm talking about!

Greensideout, I would argue that you are genetically gifted to be able to put on muscle in boot camp.

Most Marines that I know came out of boot camp rail thin.

drumcorpssnare
12-13-06, 06:22 AM
I too, put on 20lbs. in boot camp. Went in at 6'2"; 150lbs. Initial PFT- 3 chin-ups; 50 sit-ups. Three months later...171lbs.; 20 chin-ups; 80 sit-ups in 2 min.; 3 mi. run in 15min.45 sec. Best shape I was EVER in, in my entire life.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

ErikHeiker
12-13-06, 10:12 AM
I also put on weight in bootcamp. I'm 6' 2" and weighed 180 when I went in. At graduation time I weighed 185 lbs. And I too was in the best shape ever. Right now I'd settle for losing 50 lbs!

SuNmAN
12-13-06, 10:43 AM
jeez guys

I went in 6'4 180, came out 6'4 155. Run time got slower as a result of a knee injury. Did 12 pullups at 180 lbs when I went in, came out doing 9 pullups at 155 lbs.

Although got fired from being guide in 1st phase, never got dropped and still ran my first class PFT. ooorah lol

rb1651
12-13-06, 11:15 AM
And yet another....I went in bootcamp at 150 and graduated at 168.

SuNmAN
12-13-06, 01:21 PM
....lol guess I took a bad sample

most of the one I've talked to lost weight

I stand corrected then

Camper51
12-13-06, 02:04 PM
....lol guess I took a bad sample

most of the one I've talked to lost weight

I stand corrected then

I am another bad example because I gained 30 lbs of muscle in boot camp from 132 to 162...

Sgt Leprechaun
12-13-06, 04:13 PM
I went in UNDERweight at 5'11, 120 lbs...graduated with 155 lbs of muscle. SuN, I think you are wrong on this. Having spent almost my entire 'tour' in the fleet, not 'round the flagpole, the PT regimen is usually the same, either running, daily seven, or varients there-of, and the part in the article is dead on about back strain. It happened to me, doing mountout to Kosovo aboard Nashville. We were tossing, daisy chain style, radios, packs, etc, to each other while loading up Humvees....and let me tellya, I caught something just in the wrong way, and that was it for me for a couple of hours. Our Corpsman wanted to boot me from going on the ground, but I talked him out of it; survived on muscle relaxers and Excedrin. Found out later I've got damage to C-3,4,5.

So, perhaps a better, or different PT program, based on what my unit did, might have prevented something like that in me (and others).

And, 'the weight room' doesn't build espirt de corps, unit cameraderie, or anything else. The only thing 'the weight room' builds, IMO, is big musclebound guys who look pretty on the beach, but when they deploy, those muscles turn to fat when they can't live in the damn gym all the time. When I was a platoon Sergeant, I prohibited my Marines from becoming gym rats, except aboard ship. Then, we went as a platoon.

SuNmAN
12-13-06, 05:59 PM
I went in UNDERweight at 5'11, 120 lbs...graduated with 155 lbs of muscle. SuN, I think you are wrong on this. Having spent almost my entire 'tour' in the fleet, not 'round the flagpole, the PT regimen is usually the same, either running, daily seven, or varients there-of, and the part in the article is dead on about back strain. It happened to me, doing mountout to Kosovo aboard Nashville. We were tossing, daisy chain style, radios, packs, etc, to each other while loading up Humvees....and let me tellya, I caught something just in the wrong way, and that was it for me for a couple of hours. Our Corpsman wanted to boot me from going on the ground, but I talked him out of it; survived on muscle relaxers and Excedrin. Found out later I've got damage to C-3,4,5.

So, perhaps a better, or different PT program, based on what my unit did, might have prevented something like that in me (and others).

And, 'the weight room' doesn't build espirt de corps, unit cameraderie, or anything else. The only thing 'the weight room' builds, IMO, is big musclebound guys who look pretty on the beach, but when they deploy, those muscles turn to fat when they can't live in the damn gym all the time. When I was a platoon Sergeant, I prohibited my Marines from becoming gym rats, except aboard ship. Then, we went as a platoon.

yeah I probably am wrong I...for some reason most people I've talked to lost a lot of weight in boot camp, including yours truly

apparently weight gain in boot camp can be done

however, muscle doesnt turn into fat, neither can fat turn into muscle. its physically impossible.

candi
12-13-06, 07:27 PM
I was lean when I went to boot and when I graduated I was even thinner but way more cut..I think I had lost another 20 pounds or so....I was skiiinny when I graduated...but cut as hell..

clemdog
12-13-06, 09:20 PM
Does anyone remember the old "CMC Physical Readiness Test"? (1965)

3 miles in 35 mins., rope climb, step ups, crawl-advance-run-jump trench (185 yds.?), firemans carry/rescue of comrade. Oh ya, and while wearing your utilities rifle pack helmet and the rest of your 782 gear.

And it was a pass or fail event.:flag:

SuNmAN
12-13-06, 09:27 PM
Does anyone remember the old "CMC Physical Readiness Test"? (1965)

3 miles in 35 mins., rope climb, step ups, crawl-advance-run-jump trench (185 yds.?), firemans carry/rescue of comrade. Oh ya, and while wearing your utilities rifle pack helmet and the rest of your 782 gear.

And it was a pass or fail event.:flag:

I can walk 3 miles backwards in 35 minutes...even if I have a 50 pound pack lol

clemdog
12-13-06, 10:39 PM
I can walk 3 miles backwards in 35 minutes...even if I have a 50 pound pack lol

Sure you can!

SuNmAN
12-13-06, 10:58 PM
hmmm but then again there are some Marines in my reserve unit that run 30 minute PFTs maybe I can walk with a pack faster than they run?

Sgt Leprechaun
12-14-06, 11:57 AM
Clem, I've heard of that one, but we never did it. SuN, when was the last FMF hump ya did, lad? LOL. Not one in training, but in the fleet?

It's the skinny little *hits carryin the radios and M60's that outlast most (note I said 'most' and not 'all') of the other Marines on an FMF hump. For some reason, my skinny *ss always ended up totin one of my big musclebound guys crap, in addition to my own stuff, midway thru the hump when I was Platoon Sgt.

Either that, or I was just dumb enough to do it and they knew it...but I kinda doubt it, since I oversaw a couple of em gettin 'the silver bullet' LOL.

I'd be willing to try this new PT thing, I think it's a good idea, anyway.

SuNmAN
12-14-06, 01:01 PM
Clem, I've heard of that one, but we never did it. SuN, when was the last FMF hump ya did, lad? LOL. Not one in training, but in the fleet?

It's the skinny little *hits carryin the radios and M60's that outlast most (note I said 'most' and not 'all') of the other Marines on an FMF hump. For some reason, my skinny *ss always ended up totin one of my big musclebound guys crap, in addition to my own stuff, midway thru the hump when I was Platoon Sgt.

Either that, or I was just dumb enough to do it and they knew it...but I kinda doubt it, since I oversaw a couple of em gettin 'the silver bullet' LOL.

I'd be willing to try this new PT thing, I think it's a good idea, anyway.

I can see your reasoning

have you ever seen a marathon runner? They are always very skinny and frail, with little muscle on their frames.

The fibers in the muscles are mainly slow twitch fibers, built for endurace rather than explosiveness and speed

How about an Oylmpic Sprinter? They are usually muscle bound and very strong. Their muscles are made up mainly of fast twitch fibers, built for speed and explosiveness and strength but not for endurance.

Get a marathon runner to run a 100 meter dash and he would record a very slow time

Get a muscular sprinter to run a marathon and he would probably pass out

That is why you being skinny outlasted the muscular guys in a hump

however, on the thing above, the hump was only THREE MILES, not 20+ miles haha

3 miles ain't nothin :-)

clemdog
12-14-06, 07:34 PM
I can see your reasoning

have you ever seen a marathon runner? They are always very skinny and frail, with little muscle on their frames.

The fibers in the muscles are mainly slow twitch fibers, built for endurace rather than explosiveness and speed

How about an Oylmpic Sprinter? They are usually muscle bound and very strong. Their muscles are made up mainly of fast twitch fibers, built for speed and explosiveness and strength but not for endurance.

Get a marathon runner to run a 100 meter dash and he would record a very slow time

Get a muscular sprinter to run a marathon and he would probably pass out

That is why you being skinny outlasted the muscular guys in a hump

however, on the thing above, the hump was only THREE MILES, not 20+ miles haha

3 miles ain't nothin :-)

In my days in the Corps I was 6'3" & 165 lbs. I ran both of these, the CMC Phy. Red. Test WILL kick your ass. It's not as easy as it sounds. I recall hearing about some SNCOs who would then take their Marines on some war / tactics games right after the test.

Anyway, any test that gets you ready for combat is a good test. Remember the "Sweat in peace, don't bleed in war" saying? It applys.
SF