PDA

View Full Version : Remember.....

The1stSgt
12-12-06, 09:32 AM
Remember when dress shoes, gloves and frame cover visors were "Marine Brown"?

Remember when we spit shined our dress shoes and one pair of boots?

Remember when the dress green coat buttons were "green"?

Remember when all male recruits were issued a "horse blaket" coat, and a green scarf?

Remember when we had to "break down our brass" and polish it with Brasso or Dura-glit? Even Dress Blue buttons.

Remember when we "waxed in" dress green trouser creases?

Remember when Summer Service "A" was tropicals?

Remember having a "liberty card"?

Remember "breaking starch"?

Remember having to stencile "the EGA and USMC" on the left breast utility pocket" , and stamping your name on everything you owned.

Remember the "trigger housing group or firing mechanism", and which rifle each belongs to?

Remember the "Five Marine Corps Packs" and what they are?

Remember "Ham and Limas", "Beef and Rocks", "Turkey Loaf" and other C-ration delicacies?

Remember how to make a cooker out of a B-2 can?

Remember when every individual C-ration box had two cigarettes and a pack of matches in it?

Remember when most marines carried a "John Wayne" on their key chain?

Remember having a John Wayne thumb?

Thought I'd reminisce a little and have some fun challeging your long-term memory.

Keep this going if you find it fun.

drumcorpssnare
12-12-06, 09:49 AM
Remember "Baby Blues"?

Remember "herringbone utilities"?

Remember the term "boondockers"?

Remember when it was acceptable to wear your cover "cocked" to one side?

Remember "Em-nu"? (sp. Em-new?)...and "deuce-gear"?

SEMPER FI
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

SuNmAN
12-12-06, 10:50 AM
I remember none of these lol

Camper51
12-12-06, 11:02 AM
I remember it all. I also was issued Khaki clothing which I never once wore. Trops were summer wear but the khaki's went bye bye shortly after I graduated boot camp...

jinelson
12-12-06, 11:17 AM
Remember "vampire liberty"?

Remember "junk on the bunk"?

Remember "cover blocks" and "gunny dips"?

Remember the "TL-29"

Remember "basket leave"?

Remember "midrats"?

Remember "rocks and shoals"

Remember the "beehive round for the M-79"?

Remember "IHCA"?

Remember "EPD" and "EMI"?

Remember the "PRT"?

Remember "ITR"?

Remember "swoops"?

Remember "cattle cars"?

Remember "cumshaw"?

Remember "linen survey"?

Remember "shelter halves"?

Remember "TH3"?

Remember "cosmolene"?

Remember the "Turkey Bars" on Oki in Kin Ville with their gobblers lol?

Remember "wet downs"?

Remember "pros and cons"?

Remember "willy peter"?

DWG
12-12-06, 11:26 AM
GAWD, you guys are OLD!!:scared: But damned if I don't remember too much of that myself.;) Main thing I remember is the sense of achievement I felt when I first "mastered" a p-38! Ya gotta be hungry to make those work.

Camper51
12-12-06, 11:51 AM
Sheeeeeit!!! I can open a can faster with a P-38 than an electric opener can...

Mine is still on my key ring...

FistFu68
12-12-06, 12:10 PM
:evilgrin: REMEMBER THE INFAMIOUS~(BLANKET~PARTY)???:evilgrin:

DWG
12-12-06, 12:15 PM
Mine was on my key ring until they CONFISCATED it at the court house when I got called for jury duty. They said since it had a blade on it, it was contraband-I've carried that son of a ***** on planes for years. I started to argue with them but was swarmed with deputys, so I said screw it, I'll spend another 25 cents and get a new one. I was truly in a foul mood after that! lLuckily, no one got me on their jury. I never considered the deadly ramifications of that 1/4 inch(if that) steel blade. I could have run amok in the courthouse-opening can after innocent can and no one could have stopped me; oh! the horror! Some of these security types really chap my ass!:mad:

DWG
12-12-06, 12:25 PM
REMEMBER THE INFAMIOUS~(BLANKET~PARTY)???:evilgrin:
Like being hit by a Drill Instructor, those never happened.;) So, take the soap out of the sock and sit back down FF. :p

FistFu68
12-12-06, 12:46 PM
:evilgrin: (LMFAO)~BRUDDA~D.W!!!WE DIDN'T USE BABY~SOAP!(LOL)WE USED COMBAT~BOOT'S~!!!GLAD YOU WEREN'T A CHIT~BIRD HEY???:evilgrin:SEMPER~FIDELIS~MARINE!!!

DWG
12-12-06, 12:48 PM
Was never on the recieving end or the "honoree" of said nonexistent party!:)

The1stSgt
12-12-06, 12:52 PM
Remember when the PRT consisted of:

1. The rope climb fully loaded (rifle, helmet, field marching pack, cartridge belt with two full magazines (30 cal.), two full canteens, and a first aide kit).

2. The 50 yd. fireman's carry (fully loaded).

3. Ditch jump (6 ft) (fully loaded).

4. Step-ups (80 in two min.) (fully loaded).

5. 3 mile run (fully loaded).

The1stSgt
12-12-06, 12:55 PM
jinelson, I've been on vampire liberty a few times. We had to when a PFC over two made $83.00 a month base pay.

We use to say, "Give a pint and buy a fifth".

yellowwing
12-12-06, 01:12 PM
Mine was on my key ring until they CONFISCATED it at the court house when I got called for jury duty. They said since it had a blade on it, it was contraband-I've carried that son of a ***** on planes for years. I started to argue with them but was swarmed with deputys, so I said screw it, I'll spend another 25 cents and get a new one. I was truly in a foul mood after that! lLuckily, no one got me on their jury. I never considered the deadly ramifications of that 1/4 inch(if that) steel blade. I could have run amok in the courthouse-opening can after innocent can and no one could have stopped me; oh! the horror! Some of these security types really chap my ass!:mad:
The infamous FLA Can of Corn Incident? :bunny:

drumcorpssnare
12-12-06, 01:18 PM
jinelson- I'm familiar with MOST of your list in post #5 of this thread. Please give me the "scuttlebut" on line items 4, 7, 9, 10, 15, & 18. Thanks.

When I told my dad about the soap in the sock party, he said, "What a bunch of lightweights! We used padlocks to whip 'em back in shape, when I was in."

DWG
12-12-06, 01:29 PM
jinelson- I'm familiar with MOST of your list in post #5 of this thread. Please give me the "scuttlebut" on line items 4, 7, 9, 10, 15, & 18. Thanks.

When I told my dad about the soap in the sock party, he said, "What a bunch of lightweights! We used padlocks to whip 'em back in shape, when I was in."

We had lighter blankets.LOL:D For something that NEVER happened!

The1stSgt
12-12-06, 01:39 PM
drumcorpssnare,

4. TL-29, is an all metal folding utility work knife.

7. Rocks and Shoals, was the military law before the UCMJ.

10. EMI and EPD, extra military instruction and extra punitive duty

15. cumshaw, (I'm not sure if that's spelled right, probably comshaw) is bartering or trading goods. A marine that was a good "conshaw artist" could usually get you anything you wanted.

18. TH3 (I don't have a clue)

DWG
12-12-06, 01:44 PM
drumcorpssnare,

4. TL-29, is an all metal folding utility work knife.

10. EMI and EPD,
UCMJ was in effect when I was in but Rocks and Shoals were still posted in the squadbay.

drumcorpssnare
12-12-06, 01:46 PM
Who remembers "pogey-bait"?

The1stSgt
12-12-06, 01:54 PM
Do you know how "pogey bait" got its name?

Remember how 782, or duce gear, got its name?

drumcorpssnare
12-12-06, 02:00 PM
As I recall, pogey-bait is candy, gum, snacks, etc. So, using candy to bait...a pogey? What's a pogey?

...and 782 (deuce gear) I guessed that 782 was the numerical designation given by supply, to web gear and packs, etc.

FistFu68
12-12-06, 02:01 PM
:marine: WASN'T~THAT THE NAME,OF THE COMMANDING GENERAL'S ,17&1/2 YR.OLD DAUGHTER???(LMAO) :D

The1stSgt
12-12-06, 02:08 PM
FISTFU68,

No! LOL

The1stSgt
12-12-06, 02:09 PM
drumcorpssnare,

Yo

Zulu 36
12-12-06, 02:10 PM
As I recall, pogey-bait is candy, gum, snacks, etc. So, using candy to bait...a pogey? What's a pogey?

...and 782 (deuce gear) I guessed that 782 was the numerical designation given by supply, to web gear and packs, etc.

The word is actually spelled "pogue" but it was corrupted (probably by a drunken Marine). A pogue was(is) an office rat, or someone else with soft duty. Pogey bait is candy, etc.

782 gear came from the old form number used to sign for the stuff.

How about the "Pogey Rope"? My father told me about this one and he rated one during WWII.

drumcorpssnare
12-12-06, 02:22 PM
Pogey Rope- Citation cord worn on left? shoulder. Scarlet/Gold. Members of the 5th Marines in WW I earned the right to wear that cord. Also, the Marine Band and Commandant's Own Drum Corps wear the citation cord. Also, Aides-de-Camp rate this uniform accesory.

FistFu68
12-12-06, 02:34 PM
:usmc: THE 6TH.MARINE REGT.ALSO RATE'S THE POGEY ROPE~SEMPER~FIDELIS:iwo:

Zulu 36
12-12-06, 02:38 PM
Yep. My dad was in the 6th Marines during WWII.

drumcorpssnare
12-12-06, 02:41 PM
FISTFU68- Belay that info on the 5th Marines! You are correct, sir. It is the 6th that rates the citation cord. (5th was at Chosin, not WWI France)

Zulu 36
12-12-06, 02:49 PM
FISTFU68- Belay that info on the 5th Marines! You are correct, sir. It is the 6th that rates the citation cord. (5th was at Chosin, not WWI France)
So sorry, but the 5th Marines also rate the French Fourragere. They were brigaded with the 6th Marines in France during WWI.

The shoulder cords worn by others are actually called aguliettes. They are designators (bandsmen, aides, etc), not citations. Only the Fourragere is a citation.

drumcorpssnare
12-12-06, 02:59 PM
Zulu 36- I stand corrected. Too often I "shoot from the hip" with what I "think" I know. Appreciate the correction. And now...back to the show!

Camper51
12-12-06, 03:38 PM
[quote=The1stSgt]drumcorpssnare,

15. cumshaw, (I'm not sure if that's spelled right, probably comshaw) is bartering or trading goods. A marine that was a good "conshaw artist" could usually get you anything you wanted.

quote]

cumshaw is how I learned to spell it.

A good cumshaw artist could get you anything you wanted and he did not necessarily barter or trade for it, he just got it and you darn well never asked how he got it, just accept the fact he did...

It was always good to have a good cumshaw man in your unit, unless you didn't mind doing without...

drumcorpssnare
12-12-06, 03:44 PM
camper 51- There was a loan-shark in the Drum Corps at K-Bay when I was there. He would loan any amount, for twice that amount, on payday. You could count on him for the loan. Sometimes it was rough payin' it back.
Hey...I thought loansharkin' was illegal in the Naval Services!!!

jinelson
12-12-06, 03:53 PM
by drumcorpssnare - jinelson- I'm familiar with MOST of your list in post #5 of this thread. Please give me the "scuttlebut" on line items 4, 7, 9, 10, 15, & 18. Thanks.

by The1stSgt - 4. TL-29, is an all metal folding utility work knife.

10. EMI and EPD, extra military instruction and extra punitive duty

18. TH3 (I don't have a clue)

The1stSgt is correct as they normally are with the small exception of EPD which was Extra Police Duties, but meant the same. Both were forms of correction were dealt out by NCO's and SNCO's without the formality of office hours or nosey officers to mess up Page 11's in SRB's.

As for item 18 TH3 is simply the chemical name for Thermite. We carried the grenades in trucks on convoy in Nam in case we were in indian terretory and had a break down. We would place one on the engine and melt the block and throw one or two on top of the load to render it useless to the enemy. In ITR and Staging we were taught that they were to be used to place down artillery barrels to permenantly take them out of action but the gooks didnt have arty.

Cumshaw or Comshaw was what I was best at and many Officers and SNCO's were sad when I received PCS orders. A Marine Sergeant commanding an ten truck convoy and holding a clip board could order the Army and Air Force loaders to load the trucks with anything without question. LMAO and they did it over and over without question at the Danang Supply Dump. I only tried it once on the Marines at FLC and got caught.

AN-M1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/an-m14.jpg

The grenade will burn at 2200 C and will destroy any equipment it is placed on and will ignite any flammable material within 2 m. The grenade will burn its way throw 15 mm of armor plate and will burn underwater. The thermite burns for 60 seconds.

Weight: 0.90 kg
Effective range: 25 m
Fuse Delay: 2 Seconds
Grenade type: D

Camper51
12-12-06, 03:54 PM
camper 51- There was a loan-shark in the Drum Corps at K-Bay when I was there. He would loan any amount, for twice that amount, on payday. You could count on him for the loan. Sometimes it was rough payin' it back.
Hey...I thought loansharkin' was illegal in the Naval Services!!!

but a cumshaw man is not a loanshark, nor does he ever "loan" things. He "procures" them for the unit...

jinelson
12-12-06, 04:00 PM
I preffered the word liberated over procured. Procured could fall under misappropriation in a butter bars mind.

Jim

Zulu 36
12-12-06, 05:18 PM
7. Rocks and Shoals, was the military law before the UCMJ. <br />
<br />
Technically, Naval Regulations. <br />
<br />
<br />
I had the honor of knowing several superior cumshaw men or scroungers. <br />
<br />
I was the getaway truck...

The1stSgt
12-12-06, 07:37 PM
I was an "air winger" during the Viet Nam war.

My squadron (VMFA-122, F-4B Phantom II's) was at Cubi Point in the Phillipines getting our final act together to go in country (Chu Lai, 60 miles south of Da Nang).

The morning the maintenance personnel flew out (VMGR-152, KC-130 Hercules'), another mech and myself stole a Navy flatbed flightline tractor and drove it up the rear ramp of the 130 while it was turning up. We quickly chained it down, the ramp was close and off to Chu Lai we go.

That tractor was used by everybody in our squadron at some time or another. GO NAVY!

Zulu 36
12-12-06, 08:02 PM
I was an "air winger" during the Viet Nam war.

I was in VMA-211. We robbed the Army blind in Vietnam (there was a battalion of the 1st Air Cav next door to us). A lot of those "spare parts" for the motor pool came from them.

We had to be a little nicer to the Air Force as we sat in the middle of their base (Bien Hoa) and they had a better chance of spotting their stolen gear. We kept large items restricted to the Army.

The Air Force cops tried raiding our barracks one night without our command being aware of it. It was an ugly fight and the Marine Corps won of course. We did have to return about five .38 revolvers taken from SPs as they were being thrown down the ladderways. Funny thing, we were innocent of the theft of the crap they accused us of stealing. Geeze, B&E one warehouse for TVs and you're marked for life.

VMA-311 stole the stuff. :beer:

DWG
12-13-06, 06:48 AM
This all reminds me of MSgt. Clancey(Jay C. Frippen) in Flying Leathernecks-the "king of scroungers". "Pay no attention to the holes in the tents where the serial numbers should be, just coincidence". and "have you checked with those artillery guys, they're known to steal, ya know".:D

I was always told if anything was taken for the use of the unit it wasn't stealing, since it wasn't leaving the Corps. Just a matter of redistribution to the more deserving!;)

Zulu 36
12-13-06, 07:03 AM
Ah, but we NEVER stole from Marines when the Army and Air Force were around. One must have certain ethical standards, y'know. :angel:

ggyoung
12-13-06, 12:13 PM
:flag: :( Aww the army had all the good stuff. Lots of food, beer and hard drink. The air force had it better than the army. We did manage to get lots of beer from the army, still on pallits. two 20kw generaters 1 good water buffalo tons of sand bags (wich we put to good use on hill 55 Feb. 66 ) At that time nobody wanted to be around hill 55. When me son graduated from boot camp 2002 I ask his DIs if as punishment if they could use the old NCO and put them shining GI cans or diging a " 6x6x6" they said no way it would be herasment.

FistFu68
12-13-06, 12:48 PM
:) SO THE VERY FINE~DOUGHNUT DOLLY~AFTER A GREAT BOOM-BOOM:I FEEL A GREAT SENCE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT,I DID NOT STEAL HER RED MAGGIE'S DRAWER'S~OR RIP THEM OFF!THEY WERE (LIBERATED FROM A ROUND EYE~BEAUTY FROM 'BAC IN THE WORLD)S/SGT.WRITE ME UP FOR THE MEDAL OF LOVE!!!(LMFAO)FOR THE GALLANT LIBERATION~OOHRAH:yes:

iamcloudlander
12-13-06, 04:15 PM
1stsgt I to was in VMFA-122 at DaNang in 1967 and at the time we had to fly our F-4B's to Cubi Point to wash them. <br />
The Gunny in charge of the flight line shop drove an Air Force crash crew water...

The1stSgt
12-13-06, 07:18 PM
imcloudlander,

That was a great story...... we just missed eachother in our rotations.

The "special gunpod bird" was still in the squadron when I arrived in '68. The CO during your tour had the electric and ordance shops wire that bird to hold three Vulcan gun pods. It was a bad ass....... 2,500 rounds in four seconds ain't bad.

crate78
12-13-06, 11:21 PM
One of the better stories I've heard, was from a Corporal on Okinawa, I forget where. The Marines were living in Butler huts that needed repair, but there was no money in the Corp's budget for lumber. So, the Corporal and several other Marines drove a truck to an Army base one night where they found a stack of nice new lumber.

The Marines had a bunch of the lumber loaded when an Army Sergeant 1st Class showed up and yelled, "What the hell are you Marines doing?"

The Corporal thought fast and said, "We're dumping this lumber". The SFC replied, "Not here, you're not! Load up that lumber and get the hell out of here!" The SFC actually stood there and watched the Marines steal every stick of lumber he had.

The Corporal said he always wondered what happened the next day when the Army figured out what had actually happened.

crate

greensideout
12-14-06, 01:31 AM
A pic of a Marine friend that I served with in front of the huts at MCRDSD. Remember the "grass" that we attended to, (Ice plants) planted a bayonet apart and cared for?

Sgt Leprechaun
12-14-06, 10:59 AM
More things, from the early to late 80's, for those of us in the transistion...

Horse blankets: Issued to me at PISC..still got it with LCpl chevrons

Winter/Summer Alphas:

782 gear, referred to as "Douche" gear

Standing inspection to GET the liberty card issued. "You ain't leavin the barracks without a belt, Devil dog"

Transistioning from "Jungle" 'Nam era issue cammies, with slash pockets, to the ERDL pattern "summer" cammies...to the early "elvis collar" woodlands....I got issued all three types in 1982! You were 'salty' if you had the slash pockets!

Boots n Utes runs...with gas mask (Infantry Training School, Dec 1982)

The F-4 Phantom..."thunder pig"...VMFA-312 "Fighting Checkerboards" (85-89, S-2) many of which were held together with:

Ordnance tape.

Cinderella Liberty

Page 11's, "Administrative remarks"; for being authorized to wear Airborne wings, having purchased a set of "utilities" with another Marines name stenciled inside, for not being reccommended for promotion for "not exhibiting the standards expected of a Lance Corporal of Marines" (or any other rank)...

The green ID card

White T shirts with cammies.

The days when a Marine with three ribbons was considered "salty".

The 'firewatch' medal. (( didn't rate it the first time out, but I know that's what it was called LOL)

There are more that I'm sure I can come up with later..but that oughta bring back some memories!

crate78
12-14-06, 06:56 PM
Beer money was always in short supply. I recall one time a buddy of mine, "Jim", and I were discussing where we could scrounge a few bucks to get a couple of beers.

Lo and behold, Jim walked past a GI can and spotted a perfectly good pair of tropical trousers someone had s***canned, probably because they no longer fit. Jim pulled the trousers out of the can, walked straight down to the opposite end of the barracks, and sold them for $5.00. That beer sure tasted good.

crate

BigPhil
12-14-06, 09:36 PM
What about;
Short sleved Khakis
Yardbirds
CC
Pit-Helmets
White web gear.
M1 Thumb
Name tags sewn to your clothing inclouding your socks.
Map cases.

iamcloudlander
12-15-06, 12:35 AM
1stsgt
If I remember correctly the F4 that was wired for the three Mark IV gun pods,the center one was reworked and rewired to be mounted to fire to the rear,this so as it pulled out of a strafing run could strafe the VC as they came out of their tunnels. We heard (rumor ??) that the VC held the 122 F4's in high regard because of this gun
All this rework was accomplished by our ordinance shop and designed by an old mustang Lt.

oh yes cinderella liberty and field days in the barracks

ggyoung
12-15-06, 10:57 AM
The 4.2 inch mortar and the Howtar

drumcorpssnare
12-15-06, 11:00 AM
Remember the "ONTOS"?